PDA

View Full Version : 2008 change from JL to Clarion speakers

JerryS
02-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Anyone else noticed that in 08' MC changed back to the Clarion 1625 speakers in the factory installs? I was just pricing a 'factory equivalent' stereo install for an 07' 197 - and the JL M770's that MC was using previously come in around 260 a set. These Clarion 1625's that they've gone to...on the other hand....come in around 60 a set.

Anyone wanna comment on how the Clarions perform vs last year's JL's?

Jerry

duckguy
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
They come with JL's still if it has the sub/amp option.

JerryS
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I was just looking at pics of an early 08' that I looked at back in July. Saw they had gone back to Clarions. That boat didn't have a sub or amp, so that jives. My 06' 197 has JL's all around, and it didn't come from factory with sub or amp.

I just saw on the price sheet for 08' the stereo w/4 speakers option lists at $1260. In 2007 the same option was $1590. Guess that reflects the move to Clarion speakers.

Just wondering how much better the JL's are, since they are 5x the cost of the Clarions. I've heard the Clarions might have a separation issue. Just wondering if Clarion got that fixed - hence MC moving back to them for the basic 4 speaker installs with no sub/amp.

Jerry

JBaker
02-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I've had plenty of boats w/ the Clarions, and still have them on a non-MC. Never had any reliability problems and, on that one boat, I have had the same pairs for 8 years. On the other hand, I would say the JL's can go quite a bit louder before distorting. Also, the 1625's are co-ax's and (I'm assuming like mine) the JL's are seperates. Seperates will almost always outperform co-ax's.

Andyg
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
The JLs blow the Clarions out of the water. If you listen to music a lot on the water they would be money well spent. Not only do they have less distortion at louder volumes they have better bass response than the Clarions do. I have 3 sets of the JL Marine speakers in my 197 and a set of JL car speakers on my tower and I love them all. I will never go back to a boat with Clarion speakers in it.

I understand why MC made the change back to the Clarions, save lots of $$$ per boat in manufacturing costs. The reason I am sure they did it was to try and hold the cost increase on the 2008 boats. Holding the cost on a boat by removing stuff I think is not a very good idea. After working in manufacturing for a long time I know there are plenty of other methods to limit cost increases. I also know sometimes cost increases are just a fact of life.

TheOneandOnly
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I got the sub and amp option hopefully they have the Jl's. I find it intresting how one orders a boat and thinks hes getting an exact replica of what he saw to only find out it changed, aww

CottagerGreg
02-06-2008, 07:12 PM
The only X-series boat that comes with the Clarion speakers is the X-1 when you don't get the sub/amp combo as the factory deck can't power the JL's effectively.

TheOneandOnly
02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
flashydub--good to hear ;)

JBaker
02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Anyone else noticed that in 08' MC changed back to the Clarion 1625 speakers in the factory installs? I was just pricing a 'factory equivalent' stereo install for an 07' 197 - and the JL M770's that MC was using previously come in around 260 a set. These Clarion 1625's that they've gone to...on the other hand....come in around 60 a set.

Anyone wanna comment on how the Clarions perform vs last year's JL's?

Jerry

Are you sure they are using Clarion 1625's? After thinking it over and doing a very little bit of research, I think that would be unlikely. They may be using the Clarion CMCS7.1's which are INFINITELY better speakers. Just a thought, as the CMCS7.1's are the same size as the JL's so it would make more sense to only have to plan for one hole size regardless of speaker choice.

And Andy is right, the 1625's being a 6.5" speaker obviously do not have the cone area to produce as much bass as a 7.7" speaker such as the JL's or the CMCS7.1's.

JerryS
02-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Could be the 7.1's. I had taken the hi rez image of the bow of an 08' 197 I had. Looked up clarion marine speakers on ebay, and they were a visual match to the 1625. The 7.1's have same external appearance, so could be. Still only $95 a set compared to the JL's at $264.

JBaker
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
If the question is which is better, obviously the JL's.

Considering we are talking about speakers that are being powered by a head unit, I find this discussion a little silly. I don't fault MC for putting in the Clarions in any system that has the speakers being powered by the head unit. IMHO running JL's - or any $300 pair of components - off a head unit is like putting ZR rated tires on a Prius. I guess they look cool, but it is somewhat of a waste of money.

Sodar
02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
If the question is which is better, obviously the JL's.

Considering we are talking about speakers that are being powered by a head unit, I find this discussion a little silly. I don't fault MC for putting in the Clarions in any system that has the speakers being powered by the head unit. IMHO running JL's - or any $300 pair of components - off a head unit is like putting ZR rated tires on a Prius. I guess they look cool, but it is somewhat of a waste of money.

I agree, but it makes for an easy upgrade when you throw an amp in and additional speakers! :D

X-Aggie
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Just took a look out in the shop, and they are the CMCS7.1's.

JerryS
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I find this discussion a little silly. I don't fault MC for putting in the Clarions in any system that has the speakers being powered by the head unit.

Well, until this discussion started, some of us didn't know that if we ordered the amp/sub - we would still get the JL's. The local dealer made a blanket statement to me back in July saying "yeah, they changed over to Clarions this year."

Just another example of how great this forum is with good info.

Jerry

JBaker
02-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Well, until this discussion started, some of us didn't know that if we ordered the amp/sub - we would still get the JL's. The local dealer made a blanket statement to me back in July saying "yeah, they changed over to Clarions this year."

Just another example of how great this forum is with good info.

Jerry

No worries. I wasn't trying to rip your post or anything Jerry. It's a legit question.