PDA

View Full Version : Classic Vinal or let my wife choose?

alanboater
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
So, I am a Newbee...just purchased a '88 Prostar last weekend and I am quite excited! It is in pretty good shape except it needs all new vinal...so the question I have is this...do I keep the same design that the original vinal came with or change it to whatever I like (I put the 'wife choose' comment in the header to increase comments)?

I searched a bit for interior pics of a 88 style and could only find a couple. Any other pics or suggestions would be appreciated. I'd like to get it done before the season hits! Lastly, I am around Atlanta GA (lake Oconee) so if anyone has any upholster suggestions they would be welcome!

Thanks! (the pic I attached is the only one that I could get to fit the site. I did not get any pic's of it o the water last week)

cbryan70
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
welp you will need to redue the teak that is for sure

Monte
02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I'd keep that one stock...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Get pink vinal.

Monte
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Get pink vinal.

UMP you have no sense:rolleyes: :uglyhamme :noface:

JohnE
02-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd try to keep it original. Don't go with the pink like UMP did. That was special order one of a kind back then.

02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I heard you could get pink vinal these days.....didnt someone have pink seats here?

JohnE
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I heard you could get pink vinal these days.....didnt someone have pink seats here?

A couple now that you mention it.

Monte
02-05-2008, 11:47 PM

Lord have mercy Ump.. You're gonna talk the man into buying a pink interior shame on you:mad: :rolleyes: :D

suedv
02-05-2008, 11:54 PM
My answer is, it depends on what your goals are. Our boat is about the same age (1989 PS190) so I can share what we did with ours.

First of all I wasn't with my husband and son when they bought our boat. I was horrified when I saw it. I thought it was ugly as sin and I was embarrassed with the thought of riding in it. The vinyl was shot and the foam in the seats was all mashed down so they looked thin and they were uncomfortable. I didn't like the observer seat because it was a straight bench that made it so you always sat looking backwards. That's great for skiing, but when our kids aren't with us we sometimes just go out for a boat ride down the river. I wanted a more comfortable ride. That right away made me decide it wasn't at all important to try to make the inside look like it did in the past.

In addition to new vinyl we got a new cushion for the back seat and had the front seat built to my specifications. While the seat isn't as good as a straight bench seat when you have 2 people on it, I like it a lot better. I don't usually have someone else in the seat with me anyhow because I want to be able to move all around and take pictures.

We only used two colors of vinyl (which saved a little bit of money) and spent extra on the seats. I kind of like the plain and simple look (and I had better like it because I picked it out).

So the long and short of this is think of everything you like and don’t like about the interior based on the uses you think it will have before deciding on the vinyl. One other tip… if your wife helps make decisions about the interior she will probably take more interest and ownership in the boat. A wife that is happy with the boat will be happier about spending time on boating and she might even want to help maintain it. :)

Here's a picture of our front seat.

suedv
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's another interior picture.

suedv
02-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Get pink vinal.

Hi UMP. :wavey:

You're crazy. Pink and red = puke :noface: :)

Monte
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi UMP. :wavey:

You're crazy. Pink and red = puke :noface: :)

I agree with you Sue:)

Sodar
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
If you chose to go in an original or stock looking style, many have had great luck with this guy: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=1

T Scott
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Keping it as close to stock will make re-sell much easier. The wilder the design, the less people it will potentially appeal to. Just my 2 cents...

coz
02-06-2008, 09:06 AM
A wife that is happy with the boat will be happier about spending time on boating and she might even want to help maintain it. :)

Sue says it best, spousal approval always makes life easier in my house. :D

TMCNo1
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Sue says it best, spousal approval always makes life easier in my house. :D

Just don't let her talk you into using lace!

Muttley
02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
When I was looking, I ran into one where they kept the design, but added 1" thicker foam. That was nice. The bulgier look made it look more plush, but it still kept the integrety of the stock look.

Just my thought.

alanboater
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone! Sue, I like the "L" shape in the front in your picture however is it sturdy as it does not have a base under it?

SkiDog
02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks everyone! Sue, I like the "L" shape in the front in your picture however is it sturdy as it does not have a base under it?
Well I be damned! Another CHROMED motor box vent! Take note Harold!:D

coz
02-06-2008, 06:19 PM

Mine has the L and that's one of the many things that sold me on MC, the observer seat is bigger than all the others and can actually fit 2 people.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/44.jpg
:D

denverd1
02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I've seen a couple of 2001s that had more modern vinyl patterns. came out looking great. I don't agree with the "original" look. I would even venture to guess that it might improve resale!

here's why: when people get serious about a toy, they know a lot about it. for example: "a PS 190 from '88-'94 will fit in my price range."
You can bet they know what MC stock vinyl pattern is. If yours is a little more modern, not over the top, and done with quality vinyl, IMO you should be able to fetch more for the boat..

Covi
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
alanboater, is the deck of the boat red? It looks like the bottom is. I'd like to see that boat with the cover off! How's the power plant? Dude---- Keep it original! You wont regret it!

alanboater
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
The bottom is red and the top is the whitish grey. I have not seen any pics of similar boats - I have seen the same colors but inverted. I will get a pic with the cover off the lift when I get back to the lake in a few weeks. Here is a picture of the side in the lift. The deck is grey - the red above the grey is the cover and the carpet on the very top is part of the lift. I was told It has the original Chevy (says Indmar on it) but I have not had a chance to confirm everything - it needs some cleaning - it says it only has ~300hrs on it...not sure of the accuracy. I wont be back to see it for a few weeks so I will be patiently waiting to be reunitied...

suedv
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM

We had a support made for it when we had the seat rebuilt. It is very sturdy. I don't have a picture of the base (yes it is true... I don't have pictures of everything) and the boat is a pain to get at right now. Maybe I'll remember to take a picture IF we can find some open water for a February ski outing.

By the way, two people can sit on it and frequently they do, it's just more comfortable with only one person. I like it way more now in the "L" shape than when it was just a bench seat facing backwards.

02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I hope the vinal dont turn pink. I heard that can happen.