PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on the boat?

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Do any of you put your dogs on the boat? I want to bring my pups along for the ride, but am nervous about their nails tearing the leather on a 07 x-star. Anyone had their dogs puncture the leather?

flipper
02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
My 75lb dog goes with me every time. No problems with the vinyl. Most of the time he's on the floor, but does sit on the seats every once in a while.

JBaker
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
My 75lb dog goes with me every time. No problems with the vinyl. Most of the time he's on the floor, but does sit on the seats every once in a while.

Same here, although mine weighs in at 55lb. Never had a problem except sometimes it can be a challenge keeping her in the boat during stops. I think the vinyl can handle a lot more than just some K9 nails.

wireman
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
We take our Blue Healer with us all the time. Never had a problem. She loves it.

VTJC
02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
My 100lb lab comes along occasionally, but he is super mellow, mostly just sleeps unless I am behind the boat. Going for a boat ride was my previous labs favorite thing to do, no vinyl punctures yet. Should be easy to get skins for an 07, those us with older hulls would have a harder time.

River Rat
02-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Our 35lb dog goes with us all the time and the only issue I have with it is the dog hair, It just takes longer to clean up.

GreenSpirit Hydro
02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Yo VTJC - what are these "skins" you speak of?

03 35th Anniversary
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
All I can say is clip their nails and file them down real good and smooth.

We got a Rat Terrer (12lbs) that is less than a year old, and he goes out with us.

He can sense that I would have no probelm pitching his off the boat.

mrprostar
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Four dogs on our Prostar. No puncture issues. Just have trouble keeping them still and in the boat. German Shorthairs love the water.

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Yo VTJC - what are these "skins" you speak of?

I thinks he is refering the "skins" as the vinyl upholstery material that covers the seats and interior upholstered pieces.

Leroy
02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
We take our 70 pound lab all the time and no puncture yet. She jumps around everywhere.....just a lot of hair....

stuartmcnair
02-05-2008, 05:33 PM
German Shepherd and Jack Russell

No problems...even if there were though, I'd still take 'em.

JBaker
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Four dogs on our Prostar. No puncture issues. Just have trouble keeping them still and in the boat. German Shorthairs love the water.

My buddy has a GSP and you aren't kidding about the water. He uses his as a gun dog and it retrieves from the bottom of his 8 ft.ish pool.

Chicago190
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
My 75 lb. dog rides with me whenever I go for a booze cruise or slow ride. He mostly walks around on the carpet, but gets up on the observer seat sometimes to sniff the air. I would only be worried about wearing out the stitching, which was a problem a number of people reported on certain boats. No worries about them tearing through the actual vinyl though.

chudson
02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
This is sort of a thread jack but it does go along with the situation. There was a thread once before talking about takin the dog along in the boat and one guy suggested that with labs to be sure and dry them out real good especially around the tail because they have an under coat (sort of a coat under their coat) that can stay wet if not dried out real good and the dog can get what amounts to atheletes butt. Sounds funny I know but even when our dogs come in from outside when it's raining we towel them down real good. Just throwin that out there!!!

trickskier
02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Absolutely!!!

roddydog
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm witcha on that one!!

Anytime.

Life is just too darn short to sweat the small stuff.

( Shouldn't that pic be on the swim suit thread??)

trickskier
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm witcha on that one!!

Anytime.

Life is just too darn short to sweat the small stuff.

( Shouldn't that pic be on the swim suit thread??)
Why? My dog isn't wearing a swim suit...............8p

ProTour X9
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Our dog loved to ride in our old boat, but the new one she just doesn't feel safe... I think its the open bow....

TX.X-30 fan
02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Four dogs on our Prostar. love the water.

I would skip posting on the swimsuit thread then!! :eek3: :noface: :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Our dog loved to ride in our old boat, but the new one she just doesn't feel safe... I think its the open bow....

Could be that pink hat the driver is wearing. :confused: :confused: :D

dog paw
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Guardian of the cooler:D

ProTour X9
02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Could be that pink hat the driver is wearing. :confused: :confused: :D

Note to self:
Don't wear pink hat while driving.
#1 Because TX.X-30 Fan says so
#2 It might cramp my style
#3 The dog might like me
8p

mrprostar
02-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I would skip posting on the swimsuit thread then!! :eek3: :noface: :D

I'm sure some people on here might like it. ;)

Jerseydave
02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I have a 12 lb. maltese..............he will never be on the boat!

I had a bad experience with my buddy's beagle on my prostar.........the boat was only 3 months old and the dog tried to get his balance on the engine box, then RIP! there went the vinyl. Never again.

Our friends take their pug on their Moomba, that's okay :)
(he pukes once in a while too)

André
02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Our friends take their pug on their Moomba, that's okay :)
(he pukes once in a while too)

I'd puke too if i was in a Moomba...:D

j/k;)

denverd1
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
yes, yes. If my 20 yr old vinyl can make it, yours can too.

TX.X-30 fan
02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm sure some people on here might like it. ;)

Good point mrprostar lots of NC/Kentucky boys on here!! :D

Jorski
02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I have a 70 lb Golden Retriever. excellent dog, wouldn't be a problem; but I can't stand the dog hair in the boat - she sheds like a machine!

I do take her out in the whaler though, the hair just blows out of this boat.:D

thijs
02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
We had the Rotten-weiler on the boat. Tore the s&*t out of the teak. She didn't like the boat or the water. Then this summer my parents let there friends invite their dog onto the boat, a Golden (the friends knew d&*n well our dogs weren't allowed, but then again their dog is special......?). The hair was a bugger to get out of the carpet.

Monte
02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Good point mrprostar lots of NC/Kentucky boys on here!! :D

And here I thought that was a Lone star thing:rolleyes:

bigmac
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
We had the Rotten-weiler on the boat. Tore the s&*t out of the teak. She didn't like the boat or the water. Then this summer my parents let there friends invite their dog onto the boat, a Golden (the friends knew d&*n well our dogs weren't allowed, but then again their dog is special......?). The hair was a bugger to get out of the carpet.

Yes! We have three golden retrievers. They don't hurt the vinyl, but I can attest that dog hair does take some occasional work to get out of the carpet.

I have no problem with taking our own dogs on the boat, hair notwithstanding, but I can't think of anybody in my circle of acquaintences/relatives (or friends of those acquaintenances/relatives) that would even dream of assuming they could bring their dog on my boat. IMHO, that goes so far beyone rude that they have foregone even any pretense of civility.

chudson
02-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Dogs that shed!!!

I've got a Choc Lab and as soon as he begins shedding we make a trip to the barn and he gets "shop vac'd". It has a 20 ft. hose and he's far enough away that the noise does'nt bother him and it cleans him off real good and he loves it!!! Good for just before a boat trip or a trip to the tub for a bath!!!

Ski-me
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
This is sort of a thread jack but it does go along with the situation. There was a thread once before talking about takin the dog along in the boat and one guy suggested that with labs to be sure and dry them out real good especially around the tail because they have an under coat (sort of a coat under their coat) that can stay wet if not dried out real good and the dog can get what amounts to atheletes butt. Sounds funny I know but even when our dogs come in from outside when it's raining we towel them down real good. Just throwin that out there!!!

We took our 2 yellow labs to the lake in Idaho last summer and they were in the water constantly. They slept outside on the deck most of the time but every now and then, they dissapeared......in the lake again. Basically, for the next 3 weeks, the dogs never really dried out too much unless I locked them up for a day.

One of the things we noticed was the strong odor coming from both of them. Even their beds smelled bad. Towards the end, we noticed a red sore on one of them. Took her to the vet and they said it was most likely a hot spot from being wet all the time. We got a little medicine and everything was fine. Washed them a few times, drove back to dry Colorado and everything was fine. Just a smelly ride for 2 days :rolleyes:

To continue on the original subject---- Although our dogs are not use to boats very much, they did go for a few rides. Most the time they were on the floor too nervous. They did warm up to the idea a bit. The only drawback was HAIR EVERYWHERE!!

Clip the nails real good and I wouldn't worry about it.

dog paw
02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Man talk about fur, Our German Shepherd Shiloh was the best boat dog I have ever had. She would ride in the observers seat like queen sheba never a minute of trouble, even on the hottest days. Unlike the knucklepinhead Doberman we have now, but my God you would have fur sticking to you out on the ski LOL! Shiloh has been gone for about three years and there is still undercoat working out of the carpet. Sorta sad...

thijs
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Post your four legged spotters here:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12742

chudson
02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Going along with the dogs in the boat theme I remembered a post by ntidsl from a while back and finally found it, I thought it was hillarious.

At Cumberland A Guy Had A Rottweiler With 3 Orange Life Jackets And 2 Noodles Strapped To Him...they Were All Perfectly Placed As The Owner Had Spent Months Perfecting This Set Up....the Dog Floated Level And Could Still Swim Perfectly And When He Got Tired He Could Falls Asleep In The Water And Float...no Raft Or Anything...he Would Even Snore...this Dog Weighed Like 125 And Was A Year Old...his Head Was The Size Of A Basektball I Couldnt Stop Laughing

This is the thread it came from and there is talk about life jackets for dogs in there too!!!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11170&highlight=life+jackets