PDA

View Full Version : So Long Bob Knight

JBaker
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Good riddance and it's about time. I could go on for days about what a has been %^&$ this guys is, but I will throw out a few stats:

Never won more than 10 conference games w/ Texas Tech
Has not won even a conference title in 15 years
Has not appeared in a national title game in 20 years

lanier92prostar
02-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Coaches and players sometimes stick around past their time due to ego and the desire to break records. Bob Knight stuck around long enough to establish the wins record. Unfortunately, it took him 42 years to get it. I can think of 2 football coaches that need to follow him into retirement but theirs respective ego's won't let them.

Hoosier Bob
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Go Bobby! I have had many coaches just like him and as far as I am concerned I would play for Bobby! Hoosiers Rule! Don't **** with Bobby or there's a shallow spot in South Eastern Indiana for you!:D

lanier92prostar
02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Great coach at Indiana, revolutionized the motion offense and man to man defense. I just think he stuck around a little long. Went to a coaches clinic about 15 years ago and he was the keynote speaker. I learned more from him that day about basketball than any other coach at the conference.

jbfootin
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree that it was time for him to retire, but I always hate it when a coach leaves in the middle of a season. He should have retired last summer, or wait until spring to do it.:twocents:

chudson
02-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Grew up an Illinois fan in the Big 10 and like everyone who was not an Indiana fan hated Bob Knight. But then when he was gone it just wasn't the same and I relized it was a respect / hate sort of deal because you had to respect him for what he had done. This morning on the news they reported his retirement but the only thing they showed was him tossing that chair across the court and it's a shame that the media always reminds of his low point (according to them) and not his winning recrord. Speaking as an Illini fan I would take Bobby Knight and his temper and his 3 national Championships any old day!!! I hope he enjoys his retirement!!!!

Leroy
02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I like Bobby and how he made sure his players had grades and could function when they graduated and almost all did.

Was funny how he could hand over the position to his son :rolleyes:

dustyb
02-05-2008, 09:20 AM
well put Hoosier Bob! If anyone should get slammed it should be Myles Brand! Knight is a loyalist, dont mess with him.

Harvey
02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Good riddance and it's about time. I could go on for days about what a has been %^&$ this guys is, but I will throw out a few stats:

Never won more than 10 conference games w/ Texas Tech
Has not won even a conference title in 15 years
Has not appeared in a national title game in 20 years

He did go 72-35 (.673) in post season tournament play
He did win Olympic gold
He did win Pan American gold
He did win 3 national championships
He did win the NIT
He did coach for 41 years
He did win 900 games

And he will be remembered for throwing chairs even though he runs one of the cleanest programs in college sports. If you were to poll all the players who played for him I bet you wouldn't find 10 who would say they didn't look up to and respect him. You would also have a hard time finding players who played for him that didnt graduate college.

loeweb
02-05-2008, 12:23 PM
He's a coach that you hate to love and love to hate. His brash style and take no sh!t attitude got more out of his players than anyone else. There is a stat out there somewhere and someone else chime in with it if you know it, It had to do with the number of NBA allstars Knight coached compared to Dean Smith. It was outrageous. Great coach, and I'm with the rest, you can't help but respect anyone with his graduation rate over this span.

JBaker
02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
He did go 72-35 (.673) in post season tournament play
He did win Olympic gold
He did win Pan American gold
He did win 3 national championships
He did win the NIT
He did coach for 41 years
He did win 900 games

No denying that he had some good years. My point is simply that he is "has-been" personified. And also that his ineffectiveness in the modern era stems not from anything like the game passing him by, but rather his inability to recruit impact players. Great players did not and do not want to play for Knight - which speaks volumes to how little respect he receives throughout the country. Who was the last player to make a considerable impact in the NBA that Knight coached?

Any accomplishment of significance (other than running up his win total) happened before many of today's great collegiate players were even born. :twocents:

Leroy
02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I like this description, Coach Knight is old school and the NBA has messed up the recruiting process for colleges in my opinion.

The best college coaches used to recruit players who would fit in their system for at least three years, usually four. They took unpolished talent and buffed it until it shined.

Think Bobby Knight.

Regardless of what you think about his techniques on and off the court, he recruits kids and graduates his players. And he has won 900 career games. Now all a coach has to do is recruit the next crop of superstars and stand back and watch.

Thad Matta "revitalized" Ohio State University's basketball program last year. Then the star freshmen left and the Buckeyes are only 3-2 in the Big Ten. That's not great coaching.

The NBA thought it would be a good idea to have kids spend at least one year in college.

JBaker
02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
There is a stat out there somewhere and someone else chime in with it if you know it, It had to do with the number of NBA allstars Knight coached compared to Dean Smith.

I'm not sure of the actual stat but I did find this quote, "No Knight team has turned out an NBA star since Isiah Thomas, who left Indiana as a sophomore in 1981. North Carolina's Dean Smith, the other great coach of Knight's generation, churned out superstar after superstar: Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace, to name only a few."

I have more often accepted the notion that Knight was unable to recruit great players, but you may also be right if he wasn't able to get much out of the players he did recruit, or that he was unable to improve players. You take your pick...:rolleyes:

Prostar Rich
02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I like this description, Coach Knight is old school and the NBA has messed up the recruiting process for colleges in my opinion.

The best college coaches used to recruit players who would fit in their system for at least three years, usually four. They took unpolished talent and buffed it until it shined.

Think Bobby Knight.

Regardless of what you think about his techniques on and off the court, he recruits kids and graduates his players. And he has won 900 career games. Now all a coach has to do is recruit the next crop of superstars and stand back and watch.

Thad Matta "revitalized" Ohio State University's basketball program last year. Then the star freshmen left and the Buckeyes are only 3-2 in the Big Ten. That's not great coaching.

The NBA thought it would be a good idea to have kids spend at least one year in college.

The above is so true. Bobby Knight pushed his players academicaly to graduate college because there are a lot of college hoop players that never make it to the NBA. The comments of Bobby Knight being old school are true and I am sure that the times have changed and he has not. He doesn't have anything to prove. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Prostar Rich

Lennyp04
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Well if I was any good at basketball, I don't think I would have gone to his school just because of how he yells at those kids...its awful but he has to get the point across somehow.

chudson
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Gene Keady was asked once what does he do to get his boys motivated for a game. He responded, Motivated? These guys are getting a grade A education from a Division 1 school what more motivation do they need??? Never thought that much of Gene Keady till then. And I know this is not about Bobby but when talking about graduation rate I remembered this and thought it was a great statement just to throw out there!!!

Harvey
02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
No denying that he had some good years. My point is simply that he is "has-been" personified. And also that his ineffectiveness in the modern era stems not from anything like the game passing him by, but rather his inability to recruit impact players. Great players did not and do not want to play for Knight - which speaks volumes to how little respect he receives throughout the country. Who was the last player to make a considerable impact in the NBA that Knight coached?

Any accomplishment of significance (other than running up his win total) happened before many of today's great collegiate players were even born. :twocents:

I won't disagree that Bobby Knight's recent years have been less than par when compared with his other accolades but is that the way we are going to judge a man these days? What have you done for me lately? If I am not mistaken the job of a coach is to field the best team so that they may win games. He may not have recruited impact players in recent years but the man has found a way to field a team that won 138 games and made the tournament 4 times in 6 years at Texas Tech, a FOOTBALL school. I for one respect a coach that can field a team of players that performs like a team. If only more young people had that kind of influence. :twocents:

JBaker
02-05-2008, 06:45 PM

Think Bobby Knight.

I would also consider the NBA's policy detrimental to the college game. Moreover, I find the league's age restriction to be of the more racist and objectionable policies I have bore witness to.

I'm not going to begin to fault Thad Matta for fielding a fantastic team just because some of the players were obvious one-and-done's. Lute Olson, one of the winningest coaches of all-time and holder of IMHO the most impressive active record - most consecutive tournament appearances - has won, by in large, with players that left early for the NBA. How can you argue with Lute, the architect of one of the greatest programs in the past 25 years.

Getting back to Bobby and his 138 wins w/ Texas Tech (which is actually over 7 seasons, not 6), he has played a joke of a non-conference schedule. His teams true weakness is illustrated not only by their inability to win more than 10 games in what has been a fairly weak Big 12 during his reign, but also by the fact that he has never made it past the sweet-sixteen. As for Texas Tech being a football school, well Knight made his own bed there. Knight was not in hot demand when he got booted from IU. For nearly half of his "elustrious" career, Bobby has been nothing more than a side show clown. He has been completely irrelevant (and 15+ years is not just lately) when it comes to the legitimate collegiate landscape.

Good discussion and I hope I am not offending any Knight supporters, just giving my :twocents:

Hoosier Bob
02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I remember that Texas Tech team and how many national championships it had won. I was playing Golf with bobby down by the lake and I remember telleing him you cannot win there! Look at what they have accomplished! You are a nobody! Go to Butler and coach! That is where you can be a hero! In all fairness look at the money a Bob Knight can bring in OVERNIGHT! Look at what he commands to speak and lead vs. almost anyone. Look at what the IU program regardless of record brings in now vs, then. Just sayin'!;)

lanier92prostar
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I agree that the one and done kids are killing the college game. Knight, like other successful programs recruits the athletes that are going to stay, graduate, and learn something from college basketball. As much as I don't like Duke, Coach K tries to do the same thing. Sometimes it is hard to compete with programs that get the one and done athletes, but those programs are different from year to year. Look at the recent programs who have won back to back: Duke and Florida. What is the similarity? They won with the same players both years. I do think Knight had an impact on the players who played for him, just the past couple of years it has seemed that he was only hanging on for the personal records. Again, my opinion.

Hoosier Bob
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I would also agree. I just think of all of the coaches I would like to meet, play for and earn the respect of and I keep coming to Bob Knight. A man's man. Just as in his speach I hope that they bury me arse up so all of my critics can kiss my ***! Beautiful, passion, temper and his way. No right way or left way just straight between the eyes! Military backgroung and yes coach "K" was very much impacted by Knight. I would rather have the respect of BK than anyone else. He did play and he did win although if you check he was definately not the star that year at OSU!;) I agree that the one and done kids are killing the college game. Knight, like other successful programs recruits the athletes that are going to stay, graduate, and learn something from college basketball. As much as I don't like Duke, Coach K tries to do the same thing. Sometimes it is hard to compete with programs that get the one and done athletes, but those programs are different from year to year. Look at the recent programs who have won back to back: Duke and Florida. What is the similarity? They won with the same players both years. I do think Knight had an impact on the players who played for him, just the past couple of years it has seemed that he was only hanging on for the personal records. Again, my opinion.

JBaker
02-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or the "Hoosier's Shame" thread but I thought it was deserving of a post:

Click Here (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Ai4qn4PPF2WJ5tz4A8y_q2bevbYF?slug=rememb erindianabobknight&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

Great article. Really hit home for me because, from my years in Bloomington, I got a strong impression that Hoosier fans as a collective whole ignore many of the facts about Knight and their program.