PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies other than watersports?

whitedog
03-24-2005, 11:57 PM
What do you do to kill time when not on or working on the MC (besides posting on TMC)

I hunt, train pointing dogs, white water canoe, shoot trap, spend time with the kids (12 and 15) and try to keep Anne (my mate of 20 years ) from taking away my play $$$$.

Boy will be driving in a year there goes more gas and insurance $$$ :(

Granite_33
03-25-2005, 12:17 AM
That is one full plate!

The last few years, its Bob Vila level work on my house.

Tear out two bathrooms, turn them into one bathroom, add a new bathroom where it doesn't make sense to add one. :rant:
Tear out a basement, build a new one.

Mamma wants a new kitchen now......so you know where that is heading. :rant:

whitedog
03-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Granite 33

When your done at home your welcome to come and do my place.

I'LL buy the beer.

Good luck on the kitchen. Mine (Anne's) has been ongoing for 3 years. Should finish it soon.

Cloaked
03-25-2005, 12:31 AM
I lift weights for relaxing. I spend most weekdays after work in the gym. I enjoy yard work and upkeep on other properties. Keeping up a lakefront place is a ton of work... Yard, ramp, dock, retaining wall, lighting across the property, a pavillion, house, and all of the what-nots... Not to mention mowing the grass.

I like riding motorcycles and horses, and do a whitewater rafting trip every so often on the Ocoee River.

Leroy
03-25-2005, 04:03 AM
I play soccer couple of times a week and both son's are on travel soccer team. I enjoy ham radio, WA4OTD, and snow ski and snowboard in the winter. Oldest son just got his first car and fun to help him with projects like 5% window tints :eek:. Middle son is game/computer fanatic also. Of course our first dog Cocoa, a black lab has taken over our life such that we would not go on Spring Break until we found pet friendly house for rent near Destin FL. Daughter is in Indianapolis Childrens Choir and every play, singing opportunity. Plays rec sports. It seems very busy, but very happy with my wife of 17 years and she is trying to get us in a mixed doubles tennis league again. I try to avoid all house work, yard work, and car work.......

jsonova99
03-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Let's see, my girlfriend and I love kayaking and canoeing and get out when I can. I have a 1 year old border collie that I spend a lot of time with. I have a cottage up in Maine on the Penobscot bay, love heading up there every summer. I love tinkerinig with toys, my Dad and I are planning on doing resotrations on a 1960 Triumph TR3 and a 1949 Chris Craft 17ft Utility. I'm a big Land Rover fanatic and would love to tackle restoring an old one. Spending a lot of time right now getting my MBA. That's about it for me, pretty simple.

bcampbe7
03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Snowboard in the Winter.
Golf (recreation and long drive contests) in the Summer, along with wakeboarding and skiing.

I have recently gotten into RC cars. Kinda childish I know, but it has actually provided a great stress release.

And jsonova99, you don't need an old one to restore. Just buy a new one. As you know, it will seem like you are restoring... :D

bret
03-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm a ski bum in the spring, summer, and fall. But in the fall, winter, early spring - I race 944 turbos and work on my house. I work in the offshore oil industry so I have 2 weeks off a month for Honey Do's. I just finished a complete "make over" of the garage; paint, cabinets, storage. Next winter is the game room and then I'm done for a few years - it's finished!!!! (but you never finish)
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247garage1.jpg
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247garage3.jpg
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247jab06.jpg

jsonova99
03-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Snowboard in the Winter.
Golf (recreation and long drive contests) in the Summer, along with wakeboarding and skiing.

I have recently gotten into RC cars. Kinda childish I know, but it has actually provided a great stress release.

And jsonova99, you don't need an old one to restore. Just buy a new one. As you know, it will seem like you are restoring... :D

They aren't that bad, I have a 2000 Discovery, never had a problem with it. I've had 3 other rovers, and the only one with problems was an old range rover classic that I bought to play around with. I had a Defender and one of the original Discoveries, both were good. They are quirky though, which is part of the appeal.

djhuff
03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I built a house last year, moved in, bought the new boat, did not do any of the punchlist at all until I put the boat up for the year.

This past winter has been filled with finishing the house, but you are never really done.

jsonova99
03-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I built a house last year, moved in, bought the new boat, did not do any of the punchlist at all until I put the boat up for the year.

This past winter has been filled with finishing the house, but you are never really done.

I'll vouch for that, but atleast it's work that you can be proud of.

JEREMY79
03-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I do alot of bass fishing. Tournament and for fun. Working on trying to get ready for this wedding is taking all my time. I usually try to fish about 4 days a week. :D I also enjoy camping and our pets (dogs, cats, horses, various others that wonder in)

USC8791
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I snowboard in the winter. I moonlight as a trombonist, fly airplanes and am going to take scuba certification in April. Any other scuba folks? Advice for a newbie?

Leroy
03-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Any other scuba folks? Advice for a newbie?

Highly recommend getting certified locally and ahead of any trip. The day of dive certs are not enough. I actually proposed to my wife 30' under on a dive in Cozumel 18 years ago.

Jerseydave
03-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Highly recommend getting certified locally and ahead of any trip. The day of dive certs are not enough. I actually proposed to my wife 30' under on a dive in Cozumel 18 years ago.

WOW, THAT'S COOL! She must have loved that!

You're quite the romantic, Leroy :D

Leroy
03-25-2005, 02:01 PM
NJSKIER; It was good for both of us! So I guess, yes I would recommend getting engaged on a dive!

bret
03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Cozumel, great water! Got certified there 10yrs ago, Stouffer Presidente, Suba Doo.

Leroy, did you write the "Proposal" on a grease board for her to read or how?

Leroy
03-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Just dropped to my knee in the sand and took the ring off my swim suit string. At first she couldn't figure out why I took her from nice dive area to a sandy part, but seeing the ring was all it took.

It was funny there was a priest on this dive trip and he offered to take care of everything there!

toothawk
03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Like to lift weights, play basketball and racquetball, all on a regular basis. In the winter it's snow ski and snow board. Don't like to sit still, kids are 6, 4, and 3 so it's all sports in our house. In the summer, boat'in and board'in are the life. Inbetween I do a little drill'in and fill'in..... that pays for the toys and fun!!!!!!

milkmania
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm a ski bum in the spring, summer, and fall. But in the fall, winter, early spring - I race 944 turbos and work on my house. I work in the offshore oil industry so I have 2 weeks off a month for Honey Do's. I just finished a complete "make over" of the garage; paint, cabinets, storage. Next winter is the game room and then I'm done for a few years - it's finished!!!! (but you never finish)
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/247garage1.jpg

dude,
I don't know if anyone has told you......
but you got carpet in your garage:eek:

way to go:worthy:

note to self..... don't let my wife see that picture:purplaugh

H2OGirl
03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
In the winter my husband and I spend as much time as we can snowmobiling, but that has been a dying sport these days, no snow around for a couple of years now. My husband likes to spend his time in the garage with his '69 Camaro, I like to help where I can. We have rebuilt the car from ground up, a total frame off restoration. It is a never ending project, always room for more power and improvements. We also just built a home two years ago and spend much of our extra time finishing the basement and doing some landscaping. In the summer it is all about the boat, water and the boards!! Can't wait to get back out.

erkoehler
03-26-2005, 05:41 PM
In the winter my husband and I spend as much time as we can snowmobiling, but that has been a dying sport these days, no snow around for a couple of years now. My husband likes to spend his time in the garage with his '69 Camaro, I like to help where I can. We have rebuilt the car from ground up, a total frame off restoration. It is a never ending project, always room for more power and improvements. We also just built a home two years ago and spend much of our extra time finishing the basement and doing some landscaping. In the summer it is all about the boat, water and the boards!! Can't wait to get back out.

What kind of snowmobiles do you have? I put on just over 1500 miles this season so far! Have a 2003 F7 and 2002 ZL 600 both Cats!!! :D

H2OGirl
03-26-2005, 06:39 PM
we have an '04 F7 and an '01 ZL600 both Cats, is there anything else? We love them, I would love to get an F7 myself (the 600 is mine), but with no snow anymore we are not investing anymore money. We only got about 600 miles on and that is with two trips up to Hurley, WI.

André
03-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Plenty of snow here but i gave away my 76 John Deere and my 78 Ski-Doo TNT 440 last year...

mika
03-27-2005, 10:53 PM
looks like a lot of us share the same hobbies. When I am not skiing or working. I love to ride motorcycles most off road (cars hurt). I am also a huge snowmoblier. I just sold my XC 500SP. Sure it may only be a 500 but it is not how fast you go it how well you go fast, lol. Got in about 1000 miles this season. I am also working on my Masters Degree so that is taking some time. I am also looking for a house. When I can fit it in I like to snow ski, and keep wanting to try snow boarding. With spring in the air just been trying to get out side and play as much as I can looking forward to getting th boat in the water!

Lake_Tippy_Skier
03-28-2005, 07:55 AM
i had a snowmobile until i wrecked it in january. i ended up fracturing 3 vertabres in the wreck :eek: http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=799&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

FrankSchwab
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Hang Gliding. Here, getting towed up above Monument Valley and the upper reaches of Lake Powell:

(I hope this is an image:)
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2914&stc=1

Personal best: 150 miles (Flagstaff, AZ to New Mexico), 20,000 feet, and 8 hours.

Current World record: 437 miles. I've got a way to go...

/frank

MarkP
03-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Thats a cool shot Frank:toast:

MasterCrafting
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Snowskiing and snowboarding pretty much take up my winter. Photography, Image editing, graphic design and video editing. Skateboarding, rock climbing, backpacking, atving, fixing and driving my friends datsun 280z, recording my friends bands. All kinds of good stuff. I dont want to get old, some of you older guys sound boring! (just messin)

lakes Rick
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Snowskiing and snowboarding pretty much take up my winter. Photography, Image editing, graphic design and video editing. Skateboarding, rock climbing, backpacking, atving, fixing and driving my friends datsun 280z, recording my friends bands. All kinds of good stuff. I dont want to get old, some of you older guys sound boring! (just messin)

See what you have to look forward to.

east tx skier
03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I try to snow ski at least one week out of the year. I also make beer. Delicious beer.

Granite_33
03-28-2005, 05:01 PM
................. I also make beer. Delicious beer.
Is there enough to go around? :friday:

NeilM
03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Cross-Country skiing, running, TeamTalk, and winemaking take up my time..

georgea0731
03-28-2005, 07:57 PM
My wife is a school teacher so that's all she does, it's her hobby & job! We don't have kids just an Old English Sheepdog that I hang out with. I got out of the Army expecting a pilot/flying job but 9/11 has put that on hold. We just finsihed an add on garage this winter for my Z car which I don't do much mechanic work, but enjoy it. We go bowling once a week, watch a movie on weekends and pray for warmer weather. I helped a friend so some basic landscaping and hope to get back into flying again.

east tx skier
03-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Is there enough to go around? :friday:

I'd love to say yes, but shipping it is dicey. BriEOD has been waiting for some Belgium Brew for a long time now. He thinks I've forgotten, but I've got two sitting in the pantry that are well aged that have do not touch signs on them. They will show up for him when he least expects them.

The other problem is that I haven't made any specifically for bottling since that batch. Everything lately has been kegged. There's a way to bottle it, but I don't have the equipment to do it. Thus, if I just run it from keg to bottle, it has only a matter of days before it goes flat.

Sorry for the long answer. The short answer is, "sure, just come to Texas."

Leroy
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
What kind of wine Neil? Good to see you back on here!

Cross-Country skiing, running, TeamTalk, and winemaking take up my time..