PDA

View Full Version : Skunk!!!!!!!!!

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I've got one to equal Skidog's peacock!

A couple nights last week, I went outside to check the sky :rolleyes:, among other things and there was this the smell of a skunk that had sprayed a dog, somebody or something close to our house in the neighborhood. The smell was gone the next morning, but this morning @ 5:00am, there it was again, but stronger than ever. I suspect he may be hanging around the house somewhere and when I go outside or like this morning when Lynn left for work, she scared it and it let loose.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to or what to use stop or discourage this skunk from hanging around the neighborhood. I'm gonna start with the animal control shelter first to see what they have to say.

BTW, I am not gonna try to take any pictures of this sucker, NO WAY!

flipper
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
A bullet will work most of the time. :D

Roonie's
02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Good question. During the spring/summer we have them around our house too. One of these days our dog will get too close.

Monte
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
When I was in Boy Scouts... We were told to sprinkle hot Cheyanne(sp?) around the tent to keep them away..

OhioProstar
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Skunks are burrowing animals and normally sleep most of the day. They almost always follow the same trail to a food source and end up leaving a trail through the underbrush. If you can find the skunks hole you can plug it with rocks and soil after dropping a rodent smoke bomb. Be prepared to fill a couple access points. They normally burrow on hillsides. Spent a few summers chasing these varmints around Miami University as a college job.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_48597_48597

chudson
02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
No matter what it might not hurt to stock up on tomato juice, good luck!!! :D
Have to agree with the bullet (aka) "lead poisening" idea!!!

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Skunks are burrowing animals and normally sleep most of the day. They almost always follow the same trail to a food source and end up leaving a trail through the underbrush. If you can find the skunks hole you can plug it with rocks and soil after dropping a rodent smoke bomb. Be prepared to fill a couple access points. They normally burrow on hillsides. Spent a few summers chasing these varmints around Miami University as a college job.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_48597_48597

Thanks for the info! I've searched everywhere around the house for evidence of him, but our houses and the houses across the street are backed up by some major woods and he could be roaming from anywhere close by.

Maristar210
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
He's under the garage Harold. He is in love with your boat.

He is PePey Le Pew................................

ShamrockIV
02-04-2008, 02:58 PM
LEAD POISONING !!!!!!
works every time!!

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 03:03 PM
He's under the garage Harold. He is in love with your boat.

He is PePey Le Pew................................

http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/sidesplit.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/stars.gif

RexDog1
02-04-2008, 03:06 PM
LOL LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :eek3:

ShamrockIV
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
You could try this!!!!!!

ski_king
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Remember, if you do shoot it, get a clean shot to the head.
It shouldn't stink that way.

I have a recipe hat is even better than tomato juice if you or the dog/cat get sprayed.

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Failed attempt to post a cartoon!

RK@UST
02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Well Harold, good luck.
Let me tell you, I have been dealing with this for a couple of years at my duck hunting lodge ( house).
No question a skunk or skunks are living under that house.
I have called animal control, pest services and this is the response.
If the skunk has determined that under a house or shed or is home, you have to trap them.
OK, here is how you do it.
Put some traps out with catfood, sardines, hell I don't know anything they will eat. Once you trap one, then what ? Get a sheet or a blanket, hold it in front of you as you walk up to the trap. Lay the sheet over the trap. Apparently if the skunk can't see you he or she won't spray.( I would be the first person for this to fail .)
Then haul the trap off and release it, or take it to water and drown it.
Considering these options, I said no way.
I would rather shoot it in the trap.
Haven't done anything yet as it hasn't sprayed all year. In fact the skunk has actually walked up on us while we were outside cooking , and just kept walking.
It must know I am a good soul and would not put it through the drowning process, so maybe it is thinking we should co-habitat.
I am requiring the people I lease the property from to make sure this problem is solved before next season.
good luck with yours.

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Well Harold, good luck.
Let me tell you, I have been dealing with this for a couple of years at my duck hunting lodge ( house).
No question a skunk or skunks are living under that house.
I have called animal control, pest services and this is the response.
If the skunk has determined that under a house or shed or is home, you have to trap them.
OK, here is how you do it.
Put some traps out with catfood, sardines, hell I don't know anything they will eat. Once you trap one, then what ? Get a sheet or a blanket, hold it in front of you as you walk up to the trap. Lay the sheet over the trap. Apparently if the skunk can't see you he or she won't spray.( I would be the first person for this to fail .)
Then haul the trap off and release it, or take it to water and drown it.
Considering these options, I said no way.
I would rather shoot it in the trap.
Haven't done anything yet as it hasn't sprayed all year. In fact the skunk has actually walked up on us while we were outside cooking , and just kept walking.
It must know I am a good soul and would not put it through the drowning process, so maybe it is thinking we should co-habitat.
I am requiring the people I lease the property from to make sure this problem is solved before next season.
good luck with yours.

Since this is happening around my house, I think I'll name him "Homer"!:rolleyes: :D

flipper
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Exterminator like this guy should work.

ski_king
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Once when I took my dog to the vet, somebody had a skunk in a cat cage................... deskunked, so I was told.

stuartmcnair
02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I hear they like to gnaw on teak...and the more oil the better cause it keeps their coats shiney....

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I hear they like to gnaw on teak...and the more oil the better cause it keeps their coats shiney....

Right now that seems remote, but Lynn said that when she went into the garage to leave for work she could smell it in the garage and when she opened the garage door it was stronger. I was afraid it may have somehow got captured in the garage and taken residence up in the van. Then, everyone could smell us coming to CSM '08, but all the smell is gone now from the neighborhood.

chudson
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
My dog trapped one in my machine shed under a pallet next to a wall with some plywood setting on it that was leaning against the wall. I pulled the plywood away from the wall and I could see him under the pallet and poped him in the head with a hollow point .357.He evacuated himself "right now", I had to dig out a couple of shovels of dirt to get clear down to remove all of his stink. That is a very intence smell when you are a couple of feet away!!!

RexDog1
02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
It went down the street :D :rolleyes:

M-Funf
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Where I live, animal control will loan me a live trap to trap the animal and take it to them. NO WAY! Removing all sources of food works sometimes, but they'll eat bulbs and stuff, too...

Good Luck!

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
It went down the street :D :rolleyes:

If he went that far down the street, like 140 miles down the street it's fine with me. Monte needs to stuff him and put him in the curio cabinet with his monkey!:D

learjet2230
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
One word for me......Winchester!

Monte
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
It went down the street :rolleyes:

Dayum the cheyanne pepper didn't work:confused: Rex you got anything stronger??:rolleyes: Or at least some tomato juice??:D

RexDog1
02-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Dayum the cheyanne pepper didn't work:confused: Rex you got anything stronger??:rolleyes: Or at least some tomato juice??:D

The only way I know how to fight is fire with fire, so I would just fart :D

kjohnson
02-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Motion dector lights are effective. They don't like bright lights.

Monte
02-05-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a feeling that I'd have to take up #1's offer for pickled eggs.. That is the only way I coud get close to the pungency....

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
The only way I know how to fight is fire with fire, so I would just fart :D

Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Green Beans w/County Ham Chunks, Garlic Yeast Rolls for dinner last night, I was ripe! No skunks smell around my house last night or this morning. I have heard Garlic will keep Vampires away, I may be onto something. We fixed so much for dinner last night, we're having leftovers tonight. I'll update ya'll tomorrow!8p :D

TMCNo1
02-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Motion dector lights are effective. They don't like bright lights.

I got them and a mercury vapor floodlight on the end of the garage that lights up 3 yards and we have a street light. It must be blind! I've got my trash cans on a treated post and the lids are bungee corded down, cause the racoons are always trying to get in the cans. All the lights do for them is, allow them to see better to chew thru the bungee cords. Chipmunks, squirrels, racoons, possums, shunks, I got a freaking Zoo around here.

chudson
02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I Googled "how to get rid of skunks"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+get+rid+of+skunk

The following is what they say you should do after catching your skunk in a live trap.

"Once youíve got your skunk, cover up the trap so it cannot see outside (donít smother it) and secure it in the back seat (or open trunk) for a nice long ride out of town."

May I suggest "DON'T PUT THE SKUNK IN YOUR BACK SEAT OR TRUNK"

There are some funny stories in the sites though!!!

Monte
02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I Googled "how to get rid of skunks"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+get+rid+of+skunk

The following is what they say you should do after catching your skunk in a live trap.

"Once you’ve got your skunk, cover up the trap so it cannot see outside (don’t smother it) and secure it in the back seat (or open trunk) for a nice long ride out of town."

May I suggest "DON'T PUT THE SKUNK IN YOUR BACK SEAT OR TRUNK"

There are some funny stories in the sites though!!!

Thnks for the link.. I don't think I'd even strap the skunk to the top of the car:rolleyes: Let alone put it IN the car:noface:

88 PS190
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
We live trapped a few raccoons and transported them across the lake. Lets say the release process is not that easy. No matter how you do it.

tr6coug
02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I know a guy at work that had a skunk under his porch and he trapped it in a cat trap that was covered in black plastic film. The theory is that they won't spray if they can't see out of the trap. I won't say specifically what he did to get rid of the skunk, but it involved a horse trough full of water. Use your imagination....

flipper
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I know a guy at work that had a skunk under his porch and he trapped it in a cat trap that was covered in black plastic film. The theory is that they won't spray if they can't see out of the trap. I won't say specifically what he did to get rid of the skunk, but it involved a horse trough full of water. Use your imagination....

I take it skunks can't swim. Not with a custom life vest at least.

M-Funf
02-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I've done the garbage can full of water with the trap with raccoons and opossums. Works like a champ...as long as nobody sees you put the critter in there, and your other half isn't sensetive to that sort of thing :o

trickskier
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
He's after your pickled eggs...............;)

Monte
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
He's after your pickled eggs...............;)

Brave creature:rolleyes: I hope the skunks wife has some nose plugs:D