PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 04 Xstar

mhsb1029
02-03-2008, 08:21 PM
So, its boat show time and we are thinking about upgrading from our 04 Xstar with 350hrs, L-18 .... our old mc salesman works at the bu' dealership and showed us arond the new 08 23lsv and 247 ... and we looked at the new xtars at the new inw mc dealer ... the inw mc dealer was willing to trade our boat plus 60K for the 40th anniversary xstar (40k for the trade in) .... not done choking yet ... not looking to start a boat war, but can someone tell me about the MC construction versus the Bu' construction (or direct me to a website, or send me a PM) ... as I can get a new bu for the xstar and 25K for the 23lsv or a few more bucks for the 247 ... just looking for some understanding

André
02-03-2008, 08:24 PM
So, its boat show time and we are thinking about upgrading from our 04 Xstar with 350hrs, L-18 .... our old mc salesman works at the bu' dealership and showed us arond the new 08 23lsv and 247 ... and we looked at the new xtars at the new inw mc dealer ... the inw mc dealer was willing to trade our boat plus 60K for the 40th anniversary xstar (40k for the trade in) .... not done choking yet ... not looking to start a boat war, but can someone tell me about the MC construction versus the Bu' construction (or direct me to a website, or send me a PM) ... as I can get a new bu for the xstar and 25K for the 23lsv or a few more bucks for the 247 ... just looking for some understanding
Yes,but did they offer you the cash reward program?;)

mhsb1029
02-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes,but did they offer you the cash reward program?;)

no, but the dealer who sold us the original xstar said that we are the only one of his customers who bought a boat in 2004 who received the cash rewards (1 of 8 or 9) ...

mark (Pendo's brother)

erkoehler
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
You should try talking w/ your dealer about these differences. Also, I'd suggest watching the 2008 Rewind DVD from MC. The DVD will take you through the entire production process of a MasterCraft boat and trailer.

Couple things I would look over:

-Storage in the MC.
-Snap in carpet
-Tub liner system allowing deeper storage, and stronger construction.
-Don't forget the MC board racks!
-JL Audio stereo equipment.
-Trailer is manufactured for the boat by the same company that builds the boat.
-Push on the side of a Bu and watch how much the hull will flex. Especially in the middle of the boat.
-Compare the ballast pumps in a BU and MC. LOCATION OF PUMPS, and ease of impellor change.
-Look at the backing plates used throughout a MC and compare them to a BU, I gaurantee there are MULTIPLE locations BU doesn't use them and they should.
-Grab the dash in a MC and pull from the bottom......do the same in a BU!
-How strong is the windshield in the BU? The MC will support a grown man.
-Picklefork bow w/ ladder.......BU?

If you have more questions, PM me and I'd be happy to answer!

mhsb1029
02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
thanks erkoehler ... I will check that out when we head back out to the boat show with my dad and brother ... do you think 40K for an 04 xstar is about right?

Farmer Ted
02-03-2008, 09:06 PM
You should try talking w/ your dealer about these differences. Also, I'd suggest watching the 2008 Rewind DVD from MC. The DVD will take you through the entire production process of a MasterCraft boat and trailer.

-Storage in the MC.
-Snap in carpet
-Tub liner system allowing deeper storage, and stronger construction.
-Don't forget the MC board racks!
-JL Audio stereo equipment.
-Trailer is manufactured for the boat by the same company that builds the boat.
-Push on the side of a Bu and watch how much the hull will flex. Especially in the middle of the boat.
-Compare the ballast pumps in a BU and MC. LOCATION OF PUMPS, and ease of impellor change.
-Look at the backing plates used throughout a MC and compare them to a BU, I gaurantee there are MULTIPLE locations BU doesn't use them and they should.
-Grab the dash in a MC and pull from the bottom......do the same in a BU!
-Picklefork bow w/ ladder.......BU?

If you have more questions, PM me and I'd be happy to answer!

will it support a grown woman?:banana: :eek3: :banana:

erkoehler
02-03-2008, 09:10 PM
will it support a grown woman?:banana: :eek3: :banana:

I've seen some dancing women on the windshield, so YES :)

Farmer Ted
02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
I've seen some dancing women on the windshield, so YES :)

I bet we won't see that in a brochure............

CottagerGreg
02-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I can understand why you'd be paying 100k for a new X-star... loaded up with the 8.1, 4 tower speakers, heater, lights, trailer (non anniversary) bimini, mooring cover, ipod, etc... should be no more than 90k.....

Then again your getting much more of a boat!

Do some shopping around for prices... I think you could be getting a better deal...

Bu' pricing = selling price
MC pricing = List pricing (no one pays this) expect 15-20% off...

TMCNo1
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
If you want cheap, hold out for the best, go Bayliner!

CottagerGreg
02-03-2008, 10:46 PM
If you want cheap, hold out for the best, go Bayliner!

hahahaha tooo funny... though you were gonna mention a Tahoe or something...gotta love the "bass pro special" as I call it...

Nothing like flooding the lake with tubers!!

Btw- great section on construction of the Mastercrafts in Rewind 06 and rewind 08... availible at a dealer near you!

Aluminum plant tha MC uses is awesome!!

Jim@BAWS
02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Tour

http://www.malibuboats.com/FactoryTour.html

Look at them both closely...better yet see them in person
ENOUGH SAID

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Dips, baby! DIPS! 8p

Leroy
02-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Maybe you can buy 4-5 rebate programs on this boat!

no, but the dealer who sold us the original xstar said that we are the only one of his customers who bought a boat in 2004 who received the cash rewards (1 of 8 or 9) ...

mark (Pendo's brother)

mhsb1029
02-04-2008, 01:17 AM
As far as wanting cheap and going with Bayliner, do you think that my local Bayliner dealer would give me more than 40k for my 04 X-Star (8.1L, ...)

JohnE
02-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Maybe you price a "regular" XStar as opposed to an anniversary edition. I imagine you pay a premium for the anniversary boat.

You'd need to give me $25K to go from your boat to the new 'bu, not the other way around.

djhuff
02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
No comparison man.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Price out a non anniversary XStar, and a babblyboo, with the same options OUT THE DOOR. You will find that they are really not that different in price when equally optioned out (don't forget the things that are standard on a MC that are options on the BU (cleats!!!).

Now look at the construction differences, look at some 3-4 year old boats and see which one has held up better.

Jerseydave
02-04-2008, 11:11 AM
You've already got the best built, best rated wake machine available anywhere...................but a 'BU??? C'mon now.

Are you not happy with something about your X-star? (color, etc.)
You could always buy one of a different color, or keep yours and wrap it to make it look different. You could also peel-off your x-star decal and get the newer "switch" graphic from 2007 to make it look like a newer boat.

I say keep it and add some custom MC bling. MYMC has all that stuff to really make it unique.

Just my $.02

ridesdirt
02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
You've already got the best built, best rated wake machine available anywhere...................but a 'BU??? C'mon now.

Are you not happy with something about your X-star? (color, etc.)
You could always buy one of a different color, or keep yours and wrap it to make it look different. You could also peel-off your x-star decal and get the newer "switch" graphic from 2007 to make it look like a newer boat.

I say keep it and add some custom MC bling. MYMC has all that stuff to really make it unique.

Just my $.02

I second that.

There is no upgrading from a MC

tr6coug
02-04-2008, 01:19 PM

I third that. The '08 X-star is really the same boat as the '04, and 350 hours isn't that many. You can do some serious upgrades for less than 20% of what it would cost you to go to the '08 X-star. Take a look at the wrap that skeeler put on his new X-star...

Just my opinion :twocents:, but going from the '04 to the '08 wouldn't be worth $60k to me.

SteveO
02-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I would think that a "regular" x-star with the motor option would price out similar to the Bu. All the bling on the 40th has to be 10K or so, so you are really talking about a 5k delta IMO.

Maybe the BU dealer is giving you a great trade because he wants a real boat to ride behind.

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't forget the trailer on the 40th X-Star adds quite a bit to the cost.