PDA

View Full Version : Distributor type - PS190 351

Rallyspitman
02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I need to order a tune-up service kit for my 1991 PS 190 with for 351 engine (Blue rocker covers and 'mastercraft power' printed on cover. Unfortuately the boat is 250 miles away. Anyone know what type of distributor cap and arm I need. there seem to be loads out there.
It has electronic ignition but I'm not sure if that's original or not. And it's a UK model. Doubt that that makes any difference though!

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Wow, not really sure. My '89 PS190 w/351 had a Prestolite distributor. I'm not sure which year the factory went to EI but I'd say yours is an aftermarket. Plus I think some have dual points style, mine had single. Might want to call local dealer.

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
once you find out for sure, most auto parts stores like O'Reily's, Napa or Advance Auto have catalogs specific for marine distributor parts. Probably will have to special order but will be much cheaper than from MC dealer. Just my $0.02.

Rallyspitman
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanls for the info but I live in the UK. USA mastercraft dealer is at least 1/2 price to a UK dealer. Partly due to the exchange rate, partly due to there being only 3-4 dealers over in the UK.

I plan to have them shipped to my hotel then collect on a business trip in a few weeks time.

I've checked the photos on skidim and my dizzy definately does not have the raised centre post like the photo of the mallory. Does that mean it's definately a prestolite, whicih has all the plugs at the same level?

TMCNo1
02-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Skidim Item #'s 1307 (cap)and 1315 (rotor), this page http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1129, is all you need if it has aftermarket electronic ignition installed in the OE distributor with the 2 screwdown cap, but we can't guess what you have any better than you can and we are thousands of miles away from your boat, if it's different than original '91.

Rallyspitman
02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
thanks for the help - I had come to the same conclusion.

My UK dealer charges $60 for the cap and $40 for the rotor. To make sure I get it right I think I'll order both from Skidim! and still save a heap!

Check out the prices!

http://www.shock-wave.info/mastercraft-with-indmar-ford-1987-1994-89-c.asp

rob935
02-04-2008, 03:47 PM
hiya "rally" im based in ireland and have no problem getting all the parts i need locally and very reasonably, ive replaced my cap and rotor last year at a cost of €50 , i can look up the reference numbers for you , may take a day or two . my 93 prostar is the exact same model as yours (blue rocker covers etc) so part numbers should match . your dist. is a prestolite and may or may not have come with elec. ignition as standard however i will dig up the part numbers you need as i went through same process last year and know how frustrating it is ...

rob935
02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
hi there, the parts for your prestolite v8 screw down distributer are available from sierra marine part number is 18-5279 for the tune up kit (cap, rotor and gasket) or 18-5403 for rotor on its own, ive used sierra for years and have never had any difficulties at all, if you cant source in the uk give my guy a shout at www.marineparts.ie as he can mail order if needs be, if you need any more info just let me know,

the skidim order numbers are 1307 for the cap and 1315 for the rotor.

flyinryn
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I just want to throw this out there.

Have same boat just year newer. I called the local Mastercraft dealer and was asking questions about the tune up kit.

They said no problem which type distributor do you have, is it the screw on type or the clip type.

So this might be something you want to look a little further into to, before you order something from across the pond.

Rallyspitman
02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks all for the help - I've bought the standard Prestolite from Skidim - they were very helpful. I spent $250 on kit which I think would be at least $600 over here, if I could get it all, and think I have all the right stuff. I'll let you know how I get on........ Shoudl pick it up in the USA next week.

Rallyspitman
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
To add to this - Ski dim said the same thing - no matter if original or retrofit Electronic ignition - Standard Prestolite screw on will fit,

climbinggod
02-14-2008, 12:10 AM
I have the same engine in my boat. I am ordering parts from Skidim item 1322 is the Cap and rotor. My engine is a Presolite screw down type.
$23.50. What part of East Anglia? My Mum and Dad live near Swaffam.