PDA

View Full Version : Repairing holes in gelcoat

ProStar Slalom
02-03-2008, 07:51 AM
I looked at a boat for sale a couple of weeks ago that had the bimini mounted to the deck inside the windshield frame, so it could only be folded back instead of in front of the glass. Walked away from it for a lot of reasons, but was wondering if a good gel coat guy could fill the holes and make it look like new? Is this easy for a guy who knows what he's doing? White gel coat, so I would think color matching would not be a problem. Thoughts please?

TMCNo1
02-03-2008, 08:17 AM
It really shouldn't be that big of a task for the DIY guy, but I would suggest just covering the small area with some type of vinyl non-skid or a small alum./s/s plate using 3M acrylic attachment tape.

ProStar Slalom
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
...any other thoughts?

flipper
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I did some small holes on mine with that gel coat repair kit from west marine. Came out pretty good.

Prostar Rich
02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The repair can made by the DIY method with great results or if you like your local marina that handles gelcoat repair can do it and you won't be able to tell that there ever was hole there.

Take care,
Prostar Rich

ProStar Slalom
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks, guys. Good to know for future reference.

denverd1
02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
i'm curious.. my baby was beat to hell before she came home, and I would like to fill in a few areas where it seems the previous owner's ignorance took over.

I'll check out West Marine, I assume skidim would be more affordable. (read: west marine screws you blind) Anywhere else I should look?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-06-2008, 05:26 PM
My suggestion would be http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

I have used their products on a couple of boats including my MC and they do a great job getting you the color to match your hull/deck. Stay away from the kits that have you mix your own color from a variety of tints....you will have a next to impossible job trying to get a match on your own.

rkmason
02-07-2008, 11:00 AM
My suggestion would be http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

I have used their products on a couple of boats including my MC and they do a great job getting you the color to match your hull/deck. Stay away from the kits that have you mix your own color from a variety of tints....you will have a next to impossible job trying to get a match on your own.

I second that comment. I tried to color match my gelcoat with one of the West Marine generic kits -- it was impossible. Got my gelcoat color codes from the dealer and got the correct colors from Spectrum - piece of cake to do the repairs. Don't waste your money on the generic gelcoat.

BrandonKTM
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have the Gelcoat Color codes for an 84 S & S Grey on Grey?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
They show a med grey for '89 only. Give them a call (Spectrum Color at 1.800.754.5516) they should be able to tell you if that is a match for your '84 or they likley will have the info on what color you'll need.

94PS190
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Is color match the only advantage to using spectrum color? My hull is white and the places I want to tuch up are under the waterline. color match is not real important to me.