PDA

View Full Version : Other trailers that fit

sk8salomon
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I found a nice '07 PS197 but with no trailer. I know a guy with a PS205 single axle trailer for sale. Does anybody know if this trailer will work? Thanks.

erkoehler
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Each MasterCraft trailer is designed to fit the hull of a specific model boat and support the boat throughout the length of the hull to prevent stress cracks.

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Each MasterCraft trailer is designed to fit the hull of a specific model boat and support the boat throughout the length of the hull to prevent stress cracks.

ok thanks but seriously, think about it. You have two friggen 2x4's covered in carpet that cradle the boat. You can't tell me that another model boat wouldn't be supported enough by some engineered calculation in the hull that's off 1" from center. That fiberglass is so thick there's no way you would hurt it! What about boat lifts or marinas that pick up boats with forklifts? They don't support the hull in your theory!

erkoehler
02-03-2008, 10:28 AM
When you pickup a boat at a marina w/ fork lifts or cradles, it is for only a matter of a few minutes. Obviously if you need a trailer the boat will be on the trailer for long periods of time, which is when problems will develop.

Boat lifts are supposed to provide a minimum amount of support, check your owners manual. If your lift is not properly supporting your boat, and you begin to have issues there could be the possibility of your warranty being void.

Sounds like you are going to do it either way, so why even ask the question?

Jim@BAWS
02-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Trailer Available

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1376983&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&cid=2046&site_type=template&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=4&

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you are going to do it either way, so why even ask the question?

No I'm not, your 1st response sounded like it came straight from the MC owners manual. Kinda like saying, "MC recommends you change your engine oil every 50 hours". In reality, how many people actually do it? Of course you'll have your few people that drain the oil @ 49.9 hours but most of us that actually USE our boats for tournaments and such may go a little over. We wouldn't not run a boat in a tourney just because it is 1+ hour over the limit. So let me rephrase my question..."Does anybody know how close a MC205 trailer is to a 197?" (e.g.-bunk width x length):D

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Trailer Available

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1376983&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&cid=2046&site_type=template&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=4&

thanks but this guy wants $900 for the 205trailer.

peason
02-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I would think that the fit would not be that close - hulls of these two boats are very different.

FrankSchwab
02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
The issues I can think of would be the positioning of the bunk boards, and the CG of the boat. I'm not an expert (or even a reasonably informed amateur), but I have to guess that all of the single-axle trailers that Mastercraft builds in a single year are the same, from the frame down.

Above the frame, the bunk boards are set up from the factory to properly support a specific boat; on mine, they have precisely the correct angle from the horizontal to match up with my hull. Without looking, I have to assume that a PS205 hull might be flatter than mine, so the boards wouldn't support the boat as well as they might (you'd be supporting the boat on the corner of the 2x6, not on the flat face). This would be an interesting fix, requiring equipment that I don't own to get right.

The setup of the trailer may be different also. I have to imagine that a PS205 with a mid-mount engine has a significantly different CG position than my V-drive Maristar, for example, even though they are nominally the same length. I would imagine that a change in axle location (pretty simple, I think), or perhaps a change in bow support position (Cut and weld?), might be necessary to get the required weight on the trailer tongue. A change from a PS197 to a PS205 would be much smaller, but I could imagine still needing to do some tuning in this area.

Good luck.

/frank

east tx skier
02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
thanks but this guy wants $900 for the 205trailer.

The 205 and 197 are even close dimensionally. The 197s are on 4 bunk trailers. The DD 205s were all on 2 bunk setups. The beam on the 197 is also wider. You want the bunks set under the stringers and contoured to the hull. That is accomplished more by the brackets than the 2x4s or 2x6s or whatever. In short, if you're going to be trailering any significant distance or storing the boat on the trailer on any basis other than temporarily, you want something that was meant for it.

That's essentially what Eric is telling you.

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 03:40 PM
The 205 and 197 are even close dimensionally. The 197s are on 4 bunk trailers. The DD 205s were all on 2 bunk setups. The beam on the 197 is also wider. You want the bunks set under the stringers and contoured to the hull. That is accomplished more by the brackets than the 2x4s or 2x6s or whatever. In short, if you're going to be trailering any significant distance or storing the boat on the trailer on any basis other than temporarily, you want something that was meant for it.

That's essentially what Eric is telling you.

thank you! i assume you mean "are NOT even close dimensionally".
this was the answer I was looking for. Eric's answer reminded me of something a politician would say. Thanks and keep swervin'

erkoehler
02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
this was the answer I was looking for. Eric's answer reminded me of something a politician would say. Thanks and keep swervin'

Or possibly what a dealer would say?

liledgy
02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
most boat lifts are not set up like inboard trailers, are all the hulls ( my 83 SS also ) of those boats screwed up? At one time I had 2x10's on top of my bunks of my shore station to match my MC but do to lower water levels I took them off and never but them back on, since 1989. I really havn't noticed anything wrong with the boat. I am really just a course skier and occasionally a jumper. Other thanthat I ski and then get out of the boat, I joke that I really don't like boating that much I'm just a skier.

east tx skier
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Eric knows a lot more about these things than I do. He's just busier today than I am presumably and got to the conclusion in short order.

I honestly can't tell you that the stringers are spaced any differently. But having had a hard look at both boats, I could say with some confidence that I wouldn't do it were it my boat.

Now if you had an X1 and it was a late 90s 205 trailer, I might be a little more uncertain.

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
sounds good east_tx! all i wanted was a "yes" it will work or a "no" it won't and you answered my question. I know a guy with a 197 trailer for $2k and that seems to be a good price. The 205 trailer was only $900 so I thought I'd try...extra $$$ towards new ski, you know how it is!

east tx skier
02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good price. Single axle trailers have gone up in price over the last several years across the board.

Ric
02-04-2008, 08:37 AM
sounds good east_tx! all i wanted was a "yes" it will work or a "no" it won't and you answered my question. I know a guy with a 197 trailer for $2k and that seems to be a good price. The 205 trailer was only $900 so I thought I'd try...extra $$$ towards new ski, you know how it is!

I had a helluva time with my 05 197 trailer. If you do this, do yourself a favor and remove the bunks from the 197 trailer you get and bevel the inside top edge of the 2 main bunks.

Do it the full length of the bunks and recarpet them... If you don't, your results may vary and it seems like a fairly easy job for someone who has to pick up the trailer before he gets the boat anyway?

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I had a helluva time with my 05 197 trailer. If you do this, do yourself a favor and remove the bunks from the 197 trailer you get and bevel the inside top edge of the 2 main bunks.

Do it the full length of the bunks and recarpet them... If you don't, your results may vary and it seems like a fairly easy job for someone who has to pick up the trailer before he gets the boat anyway?

uh, now i'm really confused! what are you sayin'?

the boat will be an '07 PS197 and the trailer will be as well. Are you saying there are problems with the boat-to-trailer fit?

east tx skier
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
uh, now i'm really confused! what are you sayin'?

the boat will be an '07 PS197 and the trailer will be as well. Are you saying there are problems with the boat-to-trailer fit?

Ric has an 05 MC and an 07 trailer. His 05 trailer had self destructing bunk carpet. With his 07 trailer, the dimensions are the same, but the bunk wood is beveled on the interior top edges. That seems to have righted the issue for Ric. I don't think this has been anything that has been an issue for everyone, but Ric's case is far from unique. I think Sodar has already had to recarpet his 07 bunks.

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Ric has an 05 MC and an 07 trailer. His 05 trailer had self destructing bunk carpet. With his 07 trailer, the dimensions are the same, but the bunk wood is beveled on the interior top edges. That seems to have righted the issue for Ric. I don't think this has been anything that has been an issue for everyone, but Ric's case is far from unique. I think Sodar has already had to recarpet his 07 bunks.

I don't think so.....?

east tx skier
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't think so.....?

Eric, you're right. I don't think he's had to replace them. But for what it's worth, this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=444937&postcount=488) is what prompted my post.

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Now you've gone and done it!

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Eric, you're right. I don't think he's had to replace them. But for what it's worth, this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=444937&postcount=488) is what prompted my post.

Maybe it is time to replace them:confused:

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM

guys, what is going on here? are you saying that MC had trouble aligning the bunks correctly for the 197 hull & trailer? to my knowledge, the 197 hull hasn't changed since what, 2002?

here's the trailer in question. yes, a little rough but my idea was to replace carpet, check brakes, tires, etc.

east tx skier
02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm not saying that and I'm fairly certain MC has never said that. Ric and possibly Sodar are the only ones I'm aware of that had this problem.

As far as what you have pictured, I'm guessing that's the 205 trailer since MC hasn't had a 2 bunk since probably the late 90s very early 2000s. Depending on year, the beam on the 205 ranged from 85--87". Neither generation of 205 had a whole lot of room between boat and fender when loaded up. The 197's beam is what? 91"? Not to mention the hull looks very different from the rear. If you end up trying it, be sure to take video. Not trying to rain on your parade, but boats have just gotten a bit bigger since the 90s.

rodltg2
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
that looks like an 01 trailer. which sucks. i would order a new one from SBT. much nicer ... the local mc dealer here uses them on all their boats. here is a pic of the one i had. i know they run about 2500 or so.

TMCNo1
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Get the VIN off the trailer and contact Greg Clower @ gregory.clower@mastercraft.com and ask him to investigaste what model boat it was for and ask if a '07 PS 197 will fit on it, which I doubt it will.

MC Owner Relations
12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
After the recent thread about dealers and communications, I felt it to be the appropriate time to introduce myself to this forum and to other viewing MasterCraft Owners. As the number of MasterCraft owners has increased, the decision has been made to create a new department called Owner Relations. Essentially, as manager of this new department, I will be monitoring both calls and emails to help our owners tackle any questions concerning their MasterCrafts. The Owner Relations Department will take your calls / emails, do the leg work to get you an answer and call you back with that information. Although we will work with you and your dealer to encourage the dealer/owner relationship, ultimately we want to ensure that our owners are taken care of and are receiving the service they expect and deserve. Please know that we are not looking to backdoor any of our dealers; we want to give them the support they need to enable them to take care of you. As I mentioned, I will also be monitoring all questions that come across the contact us page of Team Talk. I will forward some of these questions as they pertain to specific departments such as Team MasterCraft, Pro Shop, Website, & Athletes and events. Emails about parts, warranty & service will be dealt with as stated above.

In addition, I would like to involve you. Even though I have built very good relationships with all of the various departments in the plant and know who to go to to get answers, my hope would be that upon being faced with a question or issue that is tough to answer, I could post that on Team Talk to get input from all of you (no owners identity will be revealed on these posts). We have already referred several people to this site due to the valuable knowledge that is found here, especially for owners of the older boats. So if you see a post by MC Owner Relations– that is me.

Finally, I would hope that the Owner Relations Department would be a valuable resource for you as owners. In order for this new service to be successful, I would be interested to know what your past frustrations have been regarding communication with the factory. Was it that you had trouble getting through to us, spoke to the wrong person, no call back, etc? The bottom line is this: We do not want to just answer the phone to aimlessly hear complaints but rather we want to facilitate a reasonable resolution in order to ensure that you are not only a satisfied MasterCraft owner now but that you will always be a satisfied MasterCraft owner.

Greg Clower
Owner Relations Manager

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but boats have just gotten a bit bigger since the 90s.

no, i totally agree, this IS the 205 trailer. i just posted it so you guys could see what i was looking at. the 197 trailer is a '04 or '05 i think but i don't have any pics. The boat is a '07 197TT.

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
something else i was thinking was if i just bought the damn thing, rebuilt it, and resold for a little $. what's a decent 205 trailer worth?

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Did you buy the TT boat yet? Is it at a dealer or private party?

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 02:42 PM
something else i was thinking was if i just bought the damn thing, rebuilt it, and resold for a little $. what's a decent 205 trailer worth?

Used I'd say 1,000 or maybe $1,500. The problem you'll have is finding a buyer, alot of people will be in the same situation you are.

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Did you buy the TT boat yet? Is it at a dealer or private party?

not officially yet, but i'm sending the guy (private party sort of) a deposit check this week. i'm going to drive to the place and check compression 1st before i hand over the rest. it has around 800 hrs but i'm not that worried about it. comes with MC transferrable warranty too.

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Sent you a PM.

Bruce
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I realized that when I got my 1999 Maristar 230 and had to insure the boat and trailer that I did not pay much attention to the true value of the trailer i.e. it is probably underinsured. It is of course the factory trailer. What would be a reasonable value amount to insure it ? I trailer very, very rarely. Probably theft would be the only issue. (maybe some hurricane exposure)

erkoehler
02-04-2008, 03:31 PM
If you had to insure a tandem axle trailer, I would go at least 5,000 dollars if not a bit more.

Ric
02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
guys, what is going on here? are you saying that MC had trouble aligning the bunks correctly for the 197 hull & trailer? to my knowledge, the 197 hull hasn't changed since what, 2002?

here's the trailer in question. yes, a little rough but my idea was to replace carpet, check brakes, tires, etc.

I'm not really saying that. I am saying that the design of the MC 197 trailer allows the water intake to rub the bunks in certain scenarios loading and unloading the boat..

Here is a link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10598)to the fun I had.

I am saying to bevel the bunks of your new 07 trailer if it's an MC trailer. I cannot speak for the SB trailers, I have never seen one.

JohnE
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM
My trailer loading experience with my '05 197 on an '06 trailer has varied from piece of cake to big PIA. It all depends on the ramp in my experience. I've had no problems with steep or shallow. The in betweens have got me though.

east tx skier
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
My trailer loading experience with my '05 197 on an '06 trailer has varied from piece of cake to big PIA. It all depends on the ramp in my experience. I've had no problems with steep or shallow. The in betweens have got me though.

I went from a 2 bunk to 4 bunk setup. Although the 4 bunk is not a MC trailer, it's not nearly as easy to load as the 2 bunk was. Still, not anything I'm losing sleep over, so I suspect there is more to this than the number of bunks.