PDA

View Full Version : Changing out the blower hose on a PS 190

Linkster
02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
From all of the help this site had offered me, I thought it's time I returned the favor. Below are my step by step instructions for changing out old/rotted blower hoses - with pics.

First of all, this is a maintenance check we should all perform yearly to see if there are any cracks or holes in the hose. This is a serious safety concern because it is important combustible gases get expelled properly from the motor box. Mine was completely degraded.

First step (and a good suggestion from Tex) is to go buy a Sewer hose from Wal-Mart (see pic). Cheep (less than $20) in comparison to most marine parts and very durable from it’s intended use (for all you 4-flushers out there!)

Linkster
02-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Remove the rear seat - should slide right out
Remove the 4 screws that hold the floor section behind the motor box. No need to remove the hinges from the motor box, you can remove the floor section and box as one piece - helps if you have two people.

The picture that you see here has the new hose installed. This is also a good time to grease your steering cable and rudder fittings.

Linkster
02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Connect the hose to the blower motor. There are a few simple screws to remove the blower motor to make it easier to “screw” the hose on to the blower fitting.

Some blower motors have inlet and exhaust fittings. So make sure you have them hooked up correctly.

Linkster
02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Cut to size and connect the other end. For size, allow hose to stretch a little but leave room for movement.

The “other end” connects to a plastic fitting (female) that is located underneath the gas tank (see pic)
There are two screws to remove this plastic fitting and will allow you to “screw” the hose into the fitting more securely.

Hopefully this will help a few tmcowners for an easy project and give you better piece of mind.

Project length – 3 beers.

TMCNo1
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! Maybe one of our kind moderators will set it up in the FAQ thread at the top of General Discussion forum.

learjet2230
02-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Cool!....Man you have alot of space behind your trans. No Powerslot I presume.

Linkster
02-03-2008, 02:02 AM
velvet drive 1:1 mated to a 541 prop....

learjet2230
02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Good tips Link. Just replaced my blower hose about 2 weeks ago. Wish I would have known the sewer hose idea. Will use it next season.

Chas
02-03-2008, 10:36 AM
I bought a yellow blower which looks just like the one in your boat. I moves a ton of air - but it absolutely SCREAMS!

I toggle it on and birds fly away, heads turn, old people look for bomb shelters, dogs bark and glass rattles at the marina gift shop.

But I have always had a question about this: since I drive over a half-hour to the launch ramp, don't the vents on front and rear of the boat (or on the sides of my non-MC family boat) move the air all by themselves, just as they are supposed to do when the boat is in motion on the water?

I have never once smelled the slightest gasoline odor once I arrive at the lake, even though I have a slight fuel odor all the time when the boat sits in my warehouse.

Thoughts?

TMCNo1
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Normally the blower can be cut off after the boat is up on plane, but we just leave it running all the time.
The gasoline odor normally come from a slight amount of evaporation in the fuel system and the expansion and contraction of the gas in the fuel tank from the changes in the temperature from what I've experienced, being our boat is in the basement.

learjet2230
02-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Keep the drain out, and block the engine cover up with a 2x4. Gas vapor sinks, and you are correct about the airflow going to the ramp. Although, I would run it anyway. You would feel pretty "non-manish" if you vlew your boat up because you didn't want to make a little noise for safety sake. Just my opinion. Mine squeels too. Hit it with some WD40. Might have a bearing that got wet or something.