PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boat lanuching stories

Ski Bum
02-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Back in the day when my dad allowed me take the boat to the lake, my cousin and I went a couple days a week after school. We had a Bad to the bone jet boat. We also had the best system for launching. My cousin would back my truck down the ramp. Bow hook unstraped. I would hit the water and we were gone. Just like pros 30 seconds of ramp time. Same coming out. I would drive on as he was backing up. Then one day we switched. I drove and backed us down. Off into the water the boat went. Then my cousin hit the throttle to impress girls. Big engine, Big mistake. The power shot the boat out of reverse and up the ramp about 20' into the door of a Jeep Cherokee, and then slid back down the into the water. The hard part was telling the insurance company that a boat in the water took out the door of a Jeep.

Chas
02-02-2008, 01:54 AM
I hate it when that happens.

ShamrockIV
02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Yep never a good story to tell dad either!!!
Why is it either the phrase " watch this $hit" usually precedes something bad!!!!
And "there were "these chicks there" follows bad stuff????

Ski bum i was waiting for the old i stopped the truck short and boat fell off trailer story!!

rwoznock
02-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I once saw a guy and his wife launching their boat (an older vessel) , He tied a rope to the front cleat and handed it to his wife. Then he got in the truck and moved it back into the water and surged to get the boat to roll off by itself. The boat did and the woman is standing there holding the rope when she remembers the plug is not in and screames this to her husband. At this time he's hanging halfway out of the truck, he jumps out of the truck to get to the boat and forgot to put the truck in park! End result was he had the floor of his boat washed and the whole truck up to the headliner was in the water! Bad day!

TMCNo1
02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Check out this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9331&highlight=bloopers, same kind of thread.

sk8salomon
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
After a long night out, my friends and I decided to hit the lake early for some glass. It was a light drizzle that morning and our heads were throbbing. My buds were not too good at backing trailers so I decided to back the boat down just close to the water and let them take over. While backing down the ramp, i started to slow down and brake but the slick ramp made my truck slide down the ramp into the water. Of course, like an idiot, i already unhooked the strap. The trailer and boat hit the water, off came the boat and into the lake. I was lucky because a dock was nearby so i ran to the dock and jumped on the bow and thought, whew, that was close. ***Story not over yet*** I started up the boat and ran around the lake a bit while waiting for my friends to park the truck. I came to a stop and was hit by a wave of water under my seat. NO PLUG!!!!!!!!!

H20BOY
02-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I was pulling my cousin's fishing boat out of the water. He was to lazy to hook the bow strap. He said with his weight in the boat it would be fine and we would hook it at the top of the ramp. As soon as the whole boat was out of the water, it started sliding off of the trailer. By the time I stopped the truck, There he was sitting in the boat flat on the boat ramp. You always learn with every mistake...Always hook the bow strap.

Maristar210
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I was an inebriated teenager when I left a sand bar on Gun Lake Michigan, I realized the anchor was still out when it bounced of the bottom and actually penetrated the transom of the boat created this very jarring THUD....

It was 3 inches above the waterline or we were sinking quickly.

I mowed a lot of lawns that summer ;)

sk8salomon
02-03-2008, 08:45 AM
I mowed a lot of lawns that summer ;)

learning that way is always best:D
glad you or your crew were ok!

FrankSchwab
02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I love this thread. I have a number of "dinged prop" stories, but no great boat launching stories yet. I'll try to make you guys proud of me one of these days!

/frank

lanier92prostar
02-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I witnessed a very inebriated couple trying to put their bass boat on the trailer late one night. She backed the trailer down and when it was under water is was very crooked. He drove the boat straight at the tow vehicle, partially missed the trailer and ripped the fiberglass from back to front on the boat guide. He never realized it until they went to take the boat out of the water. Each time the boat stopped when he was putting it on the trailer, he would give it more gas. Luckily for me, we have no stories yet, but have seen many over the years while launching at public ramps.

learjet2230
02-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I love this thread. I have a number of "dinged prop" stories, but no great boat launching stories yet. I'll try to make you guys proud of me one of these days!

/frank
Thought I was gonna have one for you today. Grazed a stump!. No damage but got my attention. I was at idle in a canal luckily. It kind of went down the hull to the right of the prop. Felt it in my feet. Got it home and in the lift. Grabbed the Jon boat and inspected.......Shewww! No damage!

VOLFAN
02-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I watched a buddy of mine get is tooth knocked out when the crank on the winch slipped.

I was hauling my boat home after a long day and night on the lake and prob. few to many cold ones and there was three of us in the front seat of my truck and we was havin a good time. I was not payin close enough attention when I past a car and my trailer got off the side of the road a little and hit a conrcrete culfert and blew the tire and the rim had a big v in it. That sucked!

On Center Hill there is a place people put in at called Austin Bottom and there is no concret ramp there. It is just mud pretty much. I have sat there and watched several funny launching stories!

Chief
02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
This one time at the boat ramp: My truck driver started to pull the boat up in neutral. Remember Tricky? :D

ncsone
02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I have seen two full submersions of tow vehicles due to them rolling down the ramp after launching. One sank slowly as it drifted down the river. On the other one, the roof of the truck cab was about a foot under water after the truck finished rolling down the ramp.

The best one I saw was one where two guys were trying to retrieve a fully submersed I/O boat. They had the trailer hooked to a Dx Cat and the drug the boat onto the trailer. They then fired up the Cat and pulled the trailer up the ramp. As all of the water that was still in the boat started to load up on the trailer, all for tires blew out and both axles snapped in half right under the trailer. Since their tow vehicles was a large Cat, they just kept dragging the trailer up the ramp... Nice!

lanier92prostar
02-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I have seen two full submersions of tow vehicles due to them rolling down the ramp after launching. One sank slowly as it drifted down the river. On the other one, the roof of the truck cab was about a foot under water after the truck finished rolling down the ramp.

The best one I saw was one where two guys were trying to retrieve a fully submersed I/O boat. They had the trailer hooked to a Dx Cat and the drug the boat onto the trailer. They then fired up the Cat and pulled the trailer up the ramp. As all of the water that was still in the boat started to load up on the trailer, all for tires blew out and both axles snapped in half right under the trailer. Since their tow vehicles was a large Cat, they just kept dragging the trailer up the ramp... Nice!
I saw a guy pull his out of the water with a diesel truck, the farther the truck went up the ramp, the more is tires spun. He had it in 4WD and as he got the boat out of the water, the winch strap broke and the boat went sliding down on the ramp. He pulled the plug, the water drained out, several people helped him push it back in the water and he got it back on the trailer. Some of these weekend warriors are yahoo's at the ramp and in the marina. I once saw a young kid in a maristar beach his boat on a dock at the marina I kept mine at, Well not exactly beach it, he destroyed the dock and got his boat stuck on the metal supports of the dock. Amazing what stories you get when you mix alcohol and boating.

BrandonKTM
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
7 or 8 years ago I was the Chairman of a local organization set up to tackle the problem of weeds in our lake. We had worked to raise the money to buy a harvester and grants too. Well we were pulling it out of the lake (35 ' long and 12,000 lbs) barge like contraption with paddlewheels. Got it on the trailer behind my companies dumptruck, then started to go the 250' straight ahead to the first light in town. I pulled up to the light, which has slight uphill and I waited for the light to turn. When it did I had the typical problem of a clutch on a hill. This made the truck and trailer lurch several times. In our haste no one had tied the harvester to the trailer. As I pulled out, under the light the harvester began to slide off the bunks of the trailer. You guessed it, there is a 12,000 lb seaweed harvester on the pavement in the middle of State RT 6 under a light and blocking traffic in all directions. Within minutes cops were there, traffic backed up on a Saturday for a mile in two directions and this barge sitting there. Fortunately, my cousin happened to see it and his buddy just happened to have a 35 Ton mobile crane over at his house. Within 45 minutes, we had that thing back up on the trailer and going down the road. Made all the local papers (with photos) and the cops still bust me about it whenever I see them. Needless to say, when I haul now I tie whatever it is. Talk about emberassment!

ShamrockIV
02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I watched a game warden buddy of mine drag a ranger bass boat up a ramp with the winch on his truck!!!! the boat was sinking but it still hurt me to see it!!!!!!!!!

flipper
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I think my best one is a family on a pontoon boat, taking the boat out of the water. The first time they hooked up the winch, didn't lock it, and drug the boat part way up the ramp. The next go around, they didn't use the winch, same result. The next one the left the boat tied to the dock, and drug it up the ramp with the boat, and to boat hit concrete again (didn't use the winch). The family is yelling at dad in the truck who's saying "I know what I'm doin', this aint like a regular boat, I know what I'm doin' " about an hour later, boat was still in the water, bunks on trailer broke, hole in one of the pontoons of the boat, and still not out of the water.

mrprostar
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I was pulling my cousin's fishing boat out of the water. He was to lazy to hook the bow strap. He said with his weight in the boat it would be fine and we would hook it at the top of the ramp. As soon as the whole boat was out of the water, it started sliding off of the trailer. By the time I stopped the truck, There he was sitting in the boat flat on the boat ramp. You always learn with every mistake...Always hook the bow strap.

That is a good rule, but sometimes it can get you into trouble. My father-in-law was launching his boat and forgot to take the bow strap off before pulling the truck up. He ended up with the bow on the trailer and the rest of the boat on the ramp. They tried and tried to push the boat into the water and they were unable to do with 11 guys. Final solution was to ust back the trailer down the ramp until the boat slid back into the water. Took several years before any of those guys told anyone about it. Funny story after that long of keeping it a secret.

jenglin
02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
This last summer my cousin and I took our families in his 89 Tri Star and we were going boating on a local river. As I backed him in I asked him "got the plug in" with a reply of "yep". I back him in and we load the wives and kids in the boat and we're off. We get about 3 miles up river and he asks if I want to foot the rest of the way. I said sure and turn to get my stuff on and and I was ankle deep in water. He opens the lid to access the plug and it shoots up like a water fountion. My first reaction was to stick my thumb in the hole and I said "Get back to the ramp NOW!!! We turned around and he gave that boat all she had and we could only get up to about 20 mph. My thumb was helping but we were still sinking. I told my wife to jump out of the boat and give our son to my cousins wife who was holding their boy and hold the boat to the dock while my cousin (owner of the boat) would back the trailer in and then hop back in the boat to launch it while I sit there with my thumb in the hole. It took about 10 minutes to drain the water out of the boat and we were off again. I still remind him of that every once in a while and we have a good laugh about it. Knock on wood, I have yet to have any kind of bad experience of my own which is why I take my sweet a$$ time putting the boat in and taking it out. Can never be too careful.

tonyball
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
A DNR officer told a story about a gentleman that flagged him down because his boat would not "plane out", once the officer looked it over, he realized the the trailer was still under the boat, they had just simply unhooked the trailer from the tow vehicle to launch the boat!!! Pretty stupid. I wish I had a photo or video of it. I think it was before cameras were on every cell phone!

D3skier
02-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I once saw a guy and his wife launching their boat (an older vessel) , He tied a rope to the front cleat and handed it to his wife. Then he got in the truck and moved it back into the water and surged to get the boat to roll off by itself. The boat did and the woman is standing there holding the rope when she remembers the plug is not in and screames this to her husband. At this time he's hanging halfway out of the truck, he jumps out of the truck to get to the boat and forgot to put the truck in park! End result was he had the floor of his boat washed and the whole truck up to the headliner was in the water! Bad day!

with the luck I've been having with my new Nissan Titan I wish this would happen to my truck so I could have it totaled by the insurance company:mad:

Ski Bum
02-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Here is another good one. A friend of mine bought an old tri haul. Very proud of this old beater he painted it, new seats whole nine yards. He gets it all done and ask if he can try it out in my lake. I said sure . Then he ask would you like to ski behind it, well i did not want to hurt his feelings so said sure. Around the island we went all most on the bank the boat turning had back into the course the steering camed over and headed for the dock. Into reverse it went kicking the out drive stright up. Water shootin everywhere The boat blew into the dock 2x6's flying all over. As I was skiing leaning back on the tail trying ot slow the boat down.