PDA

View Full Version : My fiirst intubation!!!

thijs
02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi all, as my signature suggests I am a registered EMT (primary care paramedic) here in Alberta. I am going to school finishing to become an "Advanced care paramedic" here in Alberta.

Alberta's 'ACP's are some of the highest trained here in Canada with the exception to a very few flight critical care paramedics in Ontario.

Well anyways on my first day (first call) of my second ambulance practicum I got my very first intubation (breathing tube). First try too!!! (what this paramedic is doing).

I am stoked, I haven't even done my operating room rotation yet.......

Sodar
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Congrats! From what I hear, the OR Rotation is the most interesting. I guess it is probably different for everyone though! Do medics up there work for a municipal fire department, or are they hired by privatized ambulance companies? Are you looking to get on with a Air Ambulance Co.?

east tx skier
02-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey, Sodarmod? You changed your name?

flipper
02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Congrats....My wife does all that kind of stuff. I don't know how you guys do it, but I'm glad there's people like you that can handle it.

thijs
02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Congrats! From what I hear, the OR Rotation is the most interesting. I guess it is probably different for everyone though! Do medics up there work for a municipal fire department, or are they hired by privatized ambulance companies? Are you looking to get on with a Air Ambulance Co.?

Actually all I will be doing in the OR is intubations. So really after the first few it will be boring. The ER and paediatric ER rotations are where you see the cool stuff.

Each province here in Canada is different EMS wise. BC for example is completely provincially run and funded. Alberta has a mixture of private or municiple and hospital services.

In Alberta it is up to the municipalities to decide how to run the services. They can run them themselves, contract privately or run them integrated with fire departments.

Most are privately contracted, but the bigger centres are almost always municipally run because the only way a private service can stay afloat is transfers. Each health region will have a contract with an EMS provider to conduct transfers to the trauma or specialty centres.

I work for the Calgary Health Region (hospital) EMS transfering patients between the hospitals for each hospitals specialty, and we also take people home after suffering a traumatic or major medical event once they have been stabilized. For example a buddy of mine transfered a patient back to China and another got stuck in Los Angeles becasue his pilot crew timed out.... bummer ;)

Sodar
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM

I guess so!

92 190 PS
02-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I spent the last 13 years as a FF/EMT here in Ohio. We have advanced EMT's and we're able to do just about everything but give drugs. Still remember my first intubation (and my first shock with the defib). What a rush (I know kind of sick)....

Congratulations and good luck. This line or work is the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. Unfortunately I had to give it up recently because it doesn't pay the bills. Enjoy.....

TMCNo1
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I guess so!

Congratulations!

JohnE
02-01-2008, 07:44 PM

I guess I missed both events. Maybe you can get this place back in line since Eastie abandoned us.:D

Bruce
02-01-2008, 07:46 PM
In our little town we (fire dept) are 911 providers. We run 3 med units with paramedics on board for ALS and EMT'S for BLS(i.e advanced or basic). My first run on a MVA I triaged and my patient had bi lateral femoral fractures. Talk about glad to have a paramedic there to turn patient over to! Got to be honest I prefer the fire fighting. The trend here in the states is for fire depts to be EMS providers.
I add my congrats it does in fact take a special breed.

thijs
02-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I add my congrats it does in fact take a special breed.

My wife is a dental assistant. I think that it is the dental assistants, dentists are a special breed. Palliative care nurses are also people that do not get enough credit.

Thank you all though, it is just an interesting 'job' to me.

milkmania
02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi all, as my signature suggests I am a registered EMT (primary care paramedic) here in Alberta. I am going to school finishing to become an "Advanced care paramedic" here in Alberta.

Alberta's 'ACP's are some of the highest trained here in Canada with the exception to a very few flight critical care paramedics in Ontario.

Well anyways on my first day (first call) of my second ambulance practicum I got my very first intubation (breathing tube). First try too!!! (what this paramedic is doing).

I am stoked, I haven't even done my operating room rotation yet.......

shoot, I can shove a pipe down someone's throat! probably a lot of others on here that can!

but getting it to work is the question;)

congrats, you sound stoked!:headbang:

Bruce
02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
shoot, I can shove a pipe down someone's throat! probably a lot of others on here that can!

but getting it to work is the question

congrats, you sound stoked!

I did not know that part about working. Maybe that's why these dudes have been turning blue!

ematthew
02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I am possibly the only anesthesiologist in this forum, so I can say congratulations to you with some degree of experience. Intubating a patient in the field is MUCH harder than the controlled conditions in the OR. Use your OR practice time wisely as you really do not know how to intubate well until you have done several hundred! Best of luck in learning your most valuable and important job.