PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition

cbryan70
02-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Well im thinking of putting one in my 78 craft. Is there a difference in marine and normal cars? how will it affect my performance? more hp? better starting?

loeweb
02-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Installed EI on my 88 last summer. Don't think there is a difference between marine and normal. Loved the upgrade, I personally thought the boat started easier, and ran smoother.

88 PS190
02-01-2008, 04:02 AM
there are different methods of accomplishing this task, which one were you considering?

Some people go all out, new distributor, coil, controller.

Others install the kit that goes in the factory distributor. Which do you think you'll chose.

Either way ignition should be more reliable, hp a wash out, really if the spark is hitting at the right point it should be about the same.

Marine and cars are fairly similar, marine components should be more water resistant, though they might not be (gasp!)

Diesels are the most water resistant, with a snorkel and above water exhaust they will run submerged. with these... if they're wet you are in trouble no matter what you call it.

TMCNo1
02-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Installed EI on my 88 last summer. Don't think there is a difference between marine and normal. Loved the upgrade, I personally thought the boat started easier, and ran smoother.

I agree!
I did it 4 years ago and was a good move. No more checking the points, changing, gapping, dwell, etc., set it and forget it!
Here is the FAQ, DYI installation guide, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=133221&postcount=25.
I would also recommend upgrading to a new 12V coil with the conversion.

learjet2230
02-01-2008, 08:03 AM
If it is a standard rotation (LH), Summit Racing sells an entire Mallory distribitor that is marine for like $250. Marine distributors are different from cars in terms of spark protection (explosion). I just got one of these from Summit to replace the non-marine MSD that was in the boat. Easy install and works great.

cbryan70
02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
i would probably go the least expensive route to start with. i really dont have many problems start tho and i have new points condensore distributor cap rotor sitting in the garage. maybe i will hold off till the next set goes

Jayc
02-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I've never really had a problem with points. Put a new set it end of september and haven't touched them in 50hrs. Normally find they need a re gap and clean around 100hrs but its a 10 minute job tops.

Won't deny that EI is better but if its not broken, don't fix it.

chudson
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Best move I made on my boat and like said above I think it starts easier too, hotter spark I don't know, but these guys are really helpful.............

http://www.skidim.com/

loeweb
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree!
I did it 4 years ago and was a good move. No more checking the points, changing, gapping, dwell, etc., set it and forget it!
Here is the FAQ, DYI installation guide, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=133221&postcount=25.
I would also recommend upgrading to a new 12V coil with the conversion.
threw a new coil on mine as well per directions from Skidim. Something with the voltage? not enough resistance on an old coil

Dawg
02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Ski DIM is the way to go. Talk to Richard he will hook you up. Approx.$119.00 for the kit. best move I ever made for my 86'

sk8salomon
02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Pertronix makes an awesome igniter kit for like $85. Don't waste money on putting a new distributor in or getting it to align correctly. This kit probably took me 15 minutes of reading, a phillips screwdriver, some wirecutters & crimpers. Well worth it. Friggen started right up and ran perfect for me. No more adjusting points. Just remember one thing, we are talking about a marine distributor here, don't just go looking for any old V-8 such as Chevy or Ford and expect it to work. I had to call Pertronix tech support and get the exact model # per my distributor model #.

loeweb
02-02-2008, 10:43 PM
One thing with the EI install and I don't know if anyone else has screwed this up like I did, but, I put the new magnatron on backwards, meaning that the new rotor was on 18o degrees different than the old one. Long story short, boat wouldn't start and took forever to figure out that I am an idiot and needed to mark the rotor position before tearing into it. PITA