PDA

View Full Version : when's the best time to buy?

wheelerd
01-29-2008, 11:50 PM
When is the best time to be in the market for a used boat? Now or later in the spring? I know that there are lots of boat shows happening and maybe guys are trading up. On the other hand, maybe guys are more eager/motivated to sell once ski season really hits.
What's your take on this?

cbryan70
01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
fall and winter is the best buyers market for the best prices

JBaker
01-30-2008, 12:49 AM
fall and winter is the best buyers market for the best prices

Agreed. No question about it. The ski boat market is a little unique though, and some factors depend more on your region than they otherwise would. In my experience, the peak to troughs of price tags vary much more in the midwest and the north than it does out west or in the south.

88 PS190
01-30-2008, 01:44 AM
I would argue that you are perhaps even past the cheapest time to buy.

Best time to buy boats is at the end of the season, before people winterize them. The reason being most people start to think about winterization costs, storage costs etc. And since alot of people are of the same mind, there are alot of boats for sale. And at the same time people who like buying boats are also thinking about the new truck, or snowmobiles or what not.

So you really want to catch them before they take their boat out. Lets you test drive it, and also saves them all the expense associated with dealing with their boat.

That said I am sure there are people with boats to sell right now. And if you shop around you will find them. You are just within the window where people start to think about using their summer toys again, and you'll notice stores selling swimsuits in a few weeks.

JohnE
01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't argue that fall is best. But right now is better than in a couple of months. I sold my Tristar last spring. I din't get any action until late March. Then I had a ton of calls, people asking me to take their number in case the pending sale fell through, etc. So if you are serious, move sooner rather than later.

jkski
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Take it from a guy who currently has a boat for sale......NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY.
Seriously though...many people, including myself, have either already purchased or ordered their new boat for the 2008 season and we want to see our current boat go to a good home sooner rather than later. The dealers I know of are usually taking in a lot of trades this tie of year, which translates into a better selection for you, but only if you take advantage of it. If you are in the market for a pre-owned v-drive, I know that at least in my area, they are fairly hard to come by, and when our local dealer get's one in, it does not last long.
Good luck in your search and let me knw if I can be of any help.