PDA

View Full Version : Binding screws?

ShamrockIV
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
where can i get a set of screws to attach bindings??
bought my wife a new "used" ski and i need screws to attach bindings!! thanks!!

BrianM
01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
bought my wife a new "used" ski and i need screws to attach bindings!! thanks!!

The hardware store. Seriously Ace or True Value should have what you need.

ShamrockIV
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
stainless i would assume? anybody know the size?

88 PS190
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Does the ski have inserts?

The typical installation for a ski w/o inserts is a #10 stainless screw. And a bit of marine silicone to keep the water from going into the core.

I believe if they are inserts you will be expecting a 8-32nds screw.

I would use stainless machine screws with finish washers (also stainless or even brass) They "bite" into the plates a bit and also distribute the load from the screw head over a larger area of the plate than a pan head screw or what not.

If you find them coming lose I would place some sort of thick wax in their threads which will keep em in place. I use archery string wax for that sort of item, works great and you won't undo your inserts by accident like purple loctite sometimes does.

Ric
01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
bought my wife a new "used" ski and i need screws to attach bindings!! thanks!! what kinda bindings? what kinda ski?

Sodar
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
what kinda bindings? what kinda ski?

I think he is talking about Monza set screws. Ric, do you have any set screws? :confused:

ShamrockIV
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
ho venoms on a ho espirit for my wife.
i have connelly drafts for me but no ski to mount them on yet. :(

Ric
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I think he is talking about Monza set screws. Ric, do you have any set screws? :confused: what are you, crazy? I don't sell set screws

Ric
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
ho venoms on a ho espirit for my wife.
i have connelly drafts for me but no ski to mount them on yet. :( ok, if memory serves me, the HO inserts are a number 8 fine (8-32)

go get you a stainless machine screw, about 3/8" or 1/2" long and a good s/s washer and you should be good to go.

On the other hand, call up HO in Washington and they will probably mail you the actual parts you need (they have nice washers) for little or no money.

ShamrockIV
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I will call them!! If they are half as nice as Connelly was about laces for drafts, it will be awesome!!!!

jrcarte78
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I would try a specialty bolt and screw supply store. I've tried to find stainless at my local hardware stores and the selection is very limited. Of course I do live in Arkansas.... :rolleyes:

88 PS190
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I would try a specialty bolt and screw supply store. I've tried to find stainless at my local hardware stores and the selection is very limited. Of course I do live in Arkansas.... :rolleyes:

that's not very lucky.

I have never had any problem finding 8-32 in stainless, same with #10 sheet metal screws.

They are fairly readily available.

By all means if you get the hardware from the manufacturer I am sure it will be top notch. Its too cold to ski anyway.

BrianM
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I will call them!! If they are half as nice as Connelly was about laces for drafts, it will be awesome!!!!

HO is great. They are very helpful. I recently ordered a replacement part for a 15+ year old adjustable binding. It was dirt cheap and I had it in like two days.