PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is bliss

H20skeefreek
01-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I had always assumed that there was some water in my hull, but tonight I confirmed it. There isn't a lot, but I pulled up the floor in front of the pylon too do some plumbing and wiring. Where the bilge pump is, there is an area that is always has water. Well, where the bilge pump is screwed down there are unsealed screw holes (I believe from the factory). I used a shop vac to suck the water out of this area, and when I would suck water out of one hole, water would come to the surface in the other holes.

So my question is this....how would you get the water out? I've already put a big dessicant tub in the area to attract some of the water out of the hull. I COULD put a work light in the hull, right above the holes, but I'm worried about the fire hazzard.

After I get the water out i'm considering roughing up the area and filling it with fiberglass resin, making it NOT the lowest place in the hull, so that it can be drained....whatcha think?

This is the area in question:

Farmer Ted
01-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I had always assumed that there was some water in my hull, but tonight I confirmed it. There isn't a lot, but I pulled up the floor in front of the pylon too do some plumbing and wiring. Where the bilge pump is, there is an area that is always has water. Well, where the bilge pump is screwed down there are unsealed screw holes (I believe from the factory). I used a shop vac to suck the water out of this area, and when I would suck water out of one hole, water would come to the surface in the other holes.

So my question is this....how would you get the water out? I've already put a big dessicant tub in the area to attract some of the water out of the hull. I COULD put a work light in the hull, right above the holes, but I'm worried about the fire hazzard.

After I get the water out i'm considering roughing up the area and filling it with fiberglass resin, making it NOT the lowest place in the hull, so that it can be drained....whatcha think?

putting a light in there should help dry it out, if you're worried about it being too hot don't leave it over night

after it's had a couple of heating cycles with a lamp go back and tap the area with a quarter to see if it's delaminated

if it is, it might be a good idea to take it to a figerglass guy and have them do a repair in that area with a vaccum bag

if there's no delamination, I'd just find some screws that fit and put them in wet with some RTV, 3M, or Double Bubble and seal them in the hole to prevent further water intrusion

good luck

H20skeefreek
01-28-2008, 09:30 PM
What do you think about puting 1/4" of resin in that low area to raise it up, and cause the water to drain to the drain plug area just rear of the pylon?

Oh, and thanks for the double bubble suggestions.....but I prefer Joe Blow.

Farmer Ted
01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
What do you think about puting 1/4" of resin in that low area to raise it up, and cause the water to drain to the drain plug area just rear of the pylon?

Oh, and thanks for the double bubble suggestions.....but I prefer Joe Blow.

might be a good idea, once you get it dry and are sure you're not sealing in moisture

H20skeefreek
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Someone suggested pouring acetone in the holes, causing the water to evaporate quickly, but I know that acetone softens gelcoat/fiberglass. What do you think of this method (maybe with a different solvent)? What solvent would be best?

H20skeefreek
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
no opinions?

TRBenj
01-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Someone suggested pouring acetone in the holes, causing the water to evaporate quickly, but I know that acetone softens gelcoat/fiberglass. What do you think of this method (maybe with a different solvent)? What solvent would be best?
Im not endorsing the idea, but acetone will NOT harm the glass or gel.

OhioProstar
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I guess acetone might work, but would it draw the trapped moisture out of the hull? A quick call to a glass shop would be my next step. Maybe they can shed some light on how far into the hull the water has permeated. Maybe the combination of opening the holes up and dry air will fix the problem by itself.

Leroy
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
If you can let it sit in a dry area for couple weeks and put a strong fan blowing on that area.

If water has seeped into the fiberglass that needs to dry out also before sealing up for good.

TMCNo1
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Shopvac!:twocents: Just grabbing at straws here!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
What a great place to relocate your bilge pump to.

Jim@BAWS
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
All the ideas discussed will help

a) First us a DRYVAC. Get out everything you can
b) A little acteone will help A teaspoon or so over night
c) A light bulb for a couple of nights close to it will help
d) drill out the holes a little bit, clean w/ acetone on a rag
e) fill with gelcoat kit and dry
f) reinstall bildge pump base, use silicon in holes prior to screws

You should be fine in that order

All of it will work

Your boat is over 20+ years old. I see 2 sets of screw holes
1 near your damprid cup and the other 4 where the original
bildge pump was mounted

Clean your bildge with a damp rag w/ acetone. Be careful of fumes
try not to get it on your hands. Then a quick spray wax in your bildge
will keep it perfect looking

Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

H20skeefreek
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Done! Here's what I did. I started drilling 1/4" holes, spaced at 3/4" radiating out from the original holes, 'til I was only getting dry fiberglass, then I used this strange tool that's been in my toolbox for years. It looks like an awl, but with a right angle curve on the end. I inserted it into the holes and dug anything that was loose out, and then sucked it out with a shop vac, then went in between the holes and did it again 'til I was only hitting hard fiberglass. I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and will fill with epoxy when I get home. Luckily, it hadn't gotten very far, as far as I can tell. after the epoxy cures up, I'll put a 1/4" layer of resin in that little well to keep water from setting there when the boat is on the trailer. I'll put a coat of bilgecoat from interlux on it when the epoxy cures up then GLUE down my bilge pump with 3M 4200. NO HOLES!

The whole reason I took up the floor and discovered this is to install a homemade MTS ballast system. I drilled a hole 12" away from this and it's dry as a bone....yeah!!!