PDA

View Full Version : Windshield problem

mrprostar
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
The windshied on my 96 205 has some issues with staying closed. It falls in no matter what I do. On the trailer or on the water it falls in and gets wedged. I have tightened all the screws and made sure everything is tight. I have not attempted to fix this yet, but the little shafter that runs through the hinge slow slides out through the top. It is so tight that I have to use a hammer to tap it back into place. Any suggestions? I would like to be able to close it sometimes.

Ric
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
were you or one of your crew doing dips from the windshield with the walkthrough open?

mrprostar
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
We weren't but the previous owners may have been. My mother in law put a lot of weight on the windshield of her boat (98 Princecraft) and the windowshield popped right out of the track. So I know about that, but this seems different. If someone did do that, could something be bent?

east tx skier
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that what you want to do (almost a three person job) is have one person under the deck, one person topside, and one person holding the walkthrough piece. After the windshield screws are loosened, the person holding the walkthrough piece pulls the windshield toward the center. The person underneath the observer seat holds one nylock nut at a time while the topside person tightens the screws with a screwdriver.

I had some sag in mine that was fixed by a not so gentle yank on the walkthrough piece by my dealer who is insured for loss against such drastic measures. I was also warned not to look while he did this. As bad as it sounds, it solved the problem in a fraction of a second.

east tx skier
01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
were you or one of your crew doing dips from the windshield with the walkthrough open?

I don't think you could do that until the EVO generation of Pro Stars. Even then, I think it was an optional feature. :rolleyes:

mrprostar
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks. I will have to find some help and do that.

east tx skier
01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I will have to find some help and do that.

Hope it works. If not, sorry in advance you went to all that trouble. :0

mrprostar
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM
No worries, I always want an excuse to play with the boat whether I improve it or not. As long as I don't make it worse, I'm happy.

Stritt
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
We had a 96 205....If I recall they ended up putting a brace in under either the observer's seat or driver's side to reduce the flex. Our windshield would wedge itself, the brace solved it....maybe one of the dealers recall specifically.

NoSubstitute
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I have the opposite problem, my windshield won't close. At the base of the window opening, there is about a 1/4" gap, which looks correct, but at the top, the frames overlap about 1/4". I am able to close the window by pulling the opening apart, and then the window fits, but it is jammed. Is there a way to adjust this? I was thinking about cutting the top frame down by the 1/4", and if necessary, have the glass cut. Thoughts?