PDA

View Full Version : PS197 tower speakers?

moleson10
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Sorry if this post is going over old ground but I've done searches and still have some questions. With all the guru's here, I'm hoping I'll get some help.

My boat: 2006 PS197 (absolutely love it BTW), factory JL 4 way system + MC subwoofer option. The boat is not here now so I'm guessing I have the JL 4 channel amp plus the JL sub amp. Maybe someone can confirm this? It sounds good but isn't as loud as I expected given the amps, especially the sub. I can barely hear it.

I'm adding 2 Fusion T co-ax tower speakers and want to know the best way to wire things. My thought is to use the Clarion head unit to power the bow speakers since they don't need to be as loud as the rest. Should I? If so, should I run just two channels from the head unit to the fronts or use all 4 channels, 2 each in parallel?

My other question, should I run the tower speakers each on one channel @ 4 ohm or wire them in parallel from a single channel to bring them down to 2 ohm?

Bottom line, 1. what's the best way to wire this with the existing amps. I know adding another amp is probably the best approach but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

Sodar
01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
My boat: 2006 PS197 (absolutely love it BTW), factory JL 4 way system + MC subwoofer option. The boat is not here now so I'm guessing I have the JL 4 channel amp plus the JL sub amp. Maybe someone can confirm this? It sounds good but isn't as loud as I expected given the amps, especially the sub. I can barely hear it.

From the factory, the component cockpit speakers are run directly off the head unit. The sub is linked to an amp (Unknown make and model).

Here is a thread I started about adding speakers to my '07 197.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19961

moleson10
01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Sodarski,

Thanks for the response. Can it be true that only the head unit powers all the cockpit speakers? I thought I'd seen two JL amps in there. I assumed one for the mains and one for the sub. Maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately I can't look at the boat. It's 150 miles away at my condo. I'm heading over there soon and will investigate.

Trent 197
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I've got a 2008 197. It came from the factory with 2 amps...one 4 channel dedicated for the tower speakers, and a 6 channel for the boat speakers and sub woofer. The head unit is not pushing anything.

I agree that the factory JL sub is not hittin' at all. I purchased a JL 12" W6 that should be straight bumpin, with a JL 500W 1v2 amp to push it, but I'm now skeptical I can even fit it all inside the storage compartment. My mission in Feburary is to dedicate some time to getting it set up.

Also, if you are going to get a more powerfull sub, you need to put a 1 farad capacitor inline. Also, you may want to consider getting a spare battery and noise eliminator. Again, more space issues...

JBaker
01-29-2008, 01:05 AM
I am not sure about an '06, but for all '08's, once you add the sub, you upgrade all the speakers to amplified power. i.e. nothing runs off the head unit. I think there is a good chance everything in your boat is running of one JL e6450-M, a 6-channel amplifier. 4 channels should be running your boat speakers and 2 channels are bridged to power the sub.

You can probably just do some simple gain adjustments to get the performance you are looking for. Just remember a little goes a long way when you start turning the dial. For the most demanding consumer, aftermarket upgrades may be necessary.

JBaker
01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Sorry if this post is going over old ground but I've done searches and still have some questions. With all the guru's here, I'm hoping I'll get some help.

I'm adding 2 Fusion T co-ax tower speakers and want to know the best way to wire things. My thought is to use the Clarion head unit to power the bow speakers since they don't need to be as loud as the rest. Should I? If so, should I run just two channels from the head unit to the fronts or use all 4 channels, 2 each in parallel?

My other question, should I run the tower speakers each on one channel @ 4 ohm or wire them in parallel from a single channel to bring them down to 2 ohm?

Bottom line, 1. what's the best way to wire this with the existing amps. I know adding another amp is probably the best approach but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

I guess I didn't really address your question so much as other posts. If you add tower speakers, I would highly recommend adding an amp. If you don't add another amp:

1)Take the cockpit speakers off channels 3+4 and connect them in parallel to the bow speakers on channels 1+2 (increase gain as needed.)

2)Connect your new tower speakers to 3+4 and set gains and crossovers accordingly.

3)Leave your sub untouched on 5+6 unless you want to do some adjustments to the EQ, gains, etc.

Really simple and adequate, but from a performance and reliability standpoint, if you are going to be cranking it, get another amp and keep it 4 ohm throughout.:twocents:

Hope that was more helpful

moleson10
01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks folks for the responses, that helps.

JBaker, you are correct, I do have what appear to be separate amplifiers. I believe there are two but I'm not sure what they are. I'll find out shortly.

I do have one question, when you say "just do some simple gain adjustments" I assume you mean adjust the "input sensitivity". In reviewing the manuals, I don't see a "gain" adjustment. Just trying to clarify.

Thanks again! I'm exited that I may get much better sound this summer, even with the existing hardware. I really doubt that the installers spent much time tuning the system.

JBaker
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks folks for the responses, that helps.

JBaker, you are correct, I do have what appear to be separate amplifiers. I believe there are two but I'm not sure what they are. I'll find out shortly.

I do have one question, when you say "just do some simple gain adjustments" I assume you mean adjust the "input sensitivity". In reviewing the manuals, I don't see a "gain" adjustment. Just trying to clarify.

Thanks again! I'm exited that I may get much better sound this summer, even with the existing hardware. I really doubt that the installers spent much time tuning the system.

You got it. Input sensitivity is the same as gain.