PDA

View Full Version : Any Police Officers??

rodltg2
01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
What are the chances they catch the perp??

my new truck was in a hit and run while i was at dinner last sunday. a witness was able to catch the license #. i still have not heard back from PD and i have called a few times and they told me the officer has 10 days to finish the report. i pretty much think im screwed out of $1600 . any cops out there in TT land know what the chances are they actually catch this guy???

Willski
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not a police officer, but I would think with the license # it would be an easy one.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Band One

TMCNo1
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

I'm only a Police Officer when I get into costume for a singing Strip-O-Gram or the wife is in the mood for a high speed chase!

Monte
01-28-2008, 04:26 PM
If the witness is willing to testify, The ins. company will find him.. The police will be the least of his worries..

djhuff
01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Had this happen to me once, and they got the guy within 3 hours. I got the tag number, called it in, waited for 45mins for the officer to show up, find out it's a rental, I go on my way (wasn't too concerned, didn't do any damage to the steel bumper save for some paint scratching). Got a call that night that he was an employee of the rental company.
The punk called me a few days later to "apologize" At this point I told him that if he would have stopped, I would have looked at my truck, seen no real damage and sent him on his way, but by running away, he cost me almost 2 hours just that day in dealing with it, and that I was going to get a new bumper out of it.

ski_king
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm only a Police Officer when I get into costume for a singing Strip-O-Gram or the wife is in the mood for a high speed chase!
There was another thread with pictures, looks like it is gone now........

Since you havn't heard anything, I am afraid, your screwed.....

stuartmcnair
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

please, for the love of God, no pictures.....

Ric
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
well they never found black beauty's boat, so don't expect them to find your hit and run.

On another note, you find that crazy typewriter and you'll have found your perpetrator.

Archimedes
01-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Don't hold your breath. About 2 years ago I got taken out by a drunk driver while I was stopped at a traffic light. Hit me at 50 from behind, totalled my brand new car, and then he took off spewing coolant and oil.

Cops showed up; eventually caught up to the guy two hours later and...it took me 8 weeks to even find out his name! The cops here won't give you info over the phone and you can't go by the station any more and pick up a copy of the report due to budget cuts. You have to mail in a request and wait for them to send it to you in the mail.

Before I even got the info on the traffic report, I got a notice in the mail from the criminal courts saying that the had already been to court and plead guilty to misdemeanor hit and run, and I had 10 days to file some type of claim for restitution with the State.

Oh and the DA told me because I refused the ambulance at the scene, he wouldn't prosecute felony hit and run, only misdemeanor.

TMCNo1
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
please, for the love of God, no pictures.....

I'm doing everything I can to hold back posting pictures!:rolleyes: :D

wakolman
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm doing everything I can to hold back posting pictures!:rolleyes: :D

C'mon, break 'em out.

dmayer84
01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I feel your pain, my new truck just got hit as well. Good thing I park right in front of a camera at work.

rodltg2
01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't hold your breath. About 2 years ago I got taken out by a drunk driver while I was stopped at a traffic light. Hit me at 50 from behind, totalled my brand new car, and then he took off spewing coolant and oil.

Cops showed up; eventually caught up to the guy two hours later and...it took me 8 weeks to even find out his name! The cops here won't give you info over the phone and you can't go by the station any more and pick up a copy of the report due to budget cuts. You have to mail in a request and wait for them to send it to you in the mail.

Before I even got the info on the traffic report, I got a notice in the mail from the criminal courts saying that the had already been to court and plead guilty to misdemeanor hit and run, and I had 10 days to file some type of claim for restitution with the State.

Oh and the DA told me because I refused the ambulance at the scene, he wouldn't prosecute felony hit and run, only misdemeanor.

that pretty much confirms my belief that ill never see a penny. i asked the cop shop today if there was anyway to at least find out any status. the lady told me that i could leave a message with the officer but he probably wouldnt call me back.

bigmac
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM

That's for restitution from the state. It doesn't preclude you filing a claim with his insurance company or suing him in small claims court.

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry Rod as I do not know many. I will say many know me for some reason and if that had been my truck I am sure 4-5 would have been right by!:o

Archimedes
01-29-2008, 02:27 AM
That's for restitution from the state. It doesn't preclude you filing a claim with his insurance company or suing him in small claims court.

Oh I know, my insurance company went after him and got almost full payment for my car. Turns out he had hit another car before he hit me, so we had to split what insurance he had.

I wound up with a permanent neck injury from the accident but his insurance was maxed out and he was in jail, so I just walked away from the whole thing. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip and I didn't have any interest in spending my time suing people. S happens. Just gotta move on and make the best of it.

88 PS190
01-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Had a similar encounter,

Only took our mirror off, police took the number, went to the residence to see if the car was damaged, but really if the car isn't visable, it'd be hard to force them to show it unless someone has taken a picture of the crime, not just the word of someone who claims to have read the number.

In our case the guy denied hitting the car, and there was no visible damage on their car, of course its mirrors hinge to the rear, and ours didn't hinge to the front. So I assume he tagged it mirror to mirror, and his came out fine.