PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Injury

JKTX21
01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Anyone have any good tips to get back going quick?

Sprained my right ankle today, I'm guessing. Outside is very swollen and having a hard time walking. I am supposed to be snowboarding at the end of the week, but doesn't seem like I'll be able to at this point. :mad:

Willski
01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
?? Ice right away!! Stay off of it as much as possible. Wrap it if you have to be on it. Otherwise see a doc.

h2oskifreak
01-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation as they say. Stay off of it if you at all can. If you are worried it is really hurt, get crutches. I broke mine and could still walk on it. I think the recovery would have been quicker if I had not been on it for a few days. Ankles are a long time in healing. Even after you feel it is better it will be weak for a long while. After a long rest period (weeks), try flexibility excercises like writing the ABC's w/ your big toe, keeping your leg still. Good luck.

Farmer Ted
01-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Biofreeze

http://www.biofreeze.com/

JimN
01-28-2008, 07:26 AM
If you have insurance, go in and have it X-rayed. You could have a break that you won't know about until too late and it delays healing, mobility and balance for a long time. I sprained the snot out of mine a couple of years ago and still don't have particularly good balance when I lift the other foot. IIRC, there was another thread about this close to 2 years ago.

JKTX21
01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys. Not much better this morning and even harder to walk today. Sprained my left one a few years ago, but not like this. Trying to get into the doc or a clinic this morning so I can go to work!

Looks like I will have a snowboardless trip to SLC this week :(

east tx skier
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Sprains suck and are worse in the long run than breaks as they apparently never completely heal or aren't the same after they do. I wouldn't expect to be snowboarding by Friday having had a bad sprain myself.

stuartmcnair
01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I agree about the x-rays...

yu can take 3 advil and 2 tylenol TOGETHER three times a day...go buy yourself an ankle brace (lace ups are the best) so you can keep pressure on it and give some support while you walk...

ice it as much as you can stand it...

sounds like a high ankle sprain...that is the toughest to get over

kman
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Adding to what everyone else has said, get a brace. I got one at Walgreens. It is a soft wrap with stiff plastic inserts on the inside and outside of the ankle to stablize it. You have to be carefull though, because it will make your ankle feel strong when it isn't. Case in point, I sprained mine last March, did all the right things and wore the brace for about a month and a half, and the ankle was feeling good. In May I went running (without the brace) and sprained it again, only this time it was much worse. Here it is January and I still wear the brace when I run or workout. Doctor said it would take a good year to heal.

lanier92prostar
01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Go see the doctor! RICE like others have said. Make sure you do some type of PT after it heals to make the muscles strong so you don't do it again. My doctor had me do balance exercises on one foot and some exercises with surgical tubing. Best of luck.

weskix4
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Having had years of experience with sprained ankles, I agree with the advice the board is providing. One thing that I did the last time I sprained my ankle that has not been mentioned yet is to go see a good chiropractor. My chiropractor used ultrasound therapy, which broke up the blood clotting around the injury (all the "pretty" purple and yellow colors) and allowed it to heal very quickly. My normal healing time is about 2-3 weeks. With ultrasound I felt much better in a week.

h2oskifreak
01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
One last thing from me, forget about going snow boarding at the end of the week. Even if it feels better, it won't be healed. Glad your going to the doc.

cbryan70
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
well if your really serious about getting back out there here is some things that i had to do while in football with a bad ankle sprain
Ice buckets......they suck but they work 30 on 30 off
streching it and just keeping it moving so it doesnt swell and get stiff
trampoline just standing on a trampoline with a brace on will give you an idea of how bad it is it will also help strengthen it

JKTX21
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks again guys. Went to the doctor yesterday had x-ray etc. Found out today didn't look like anything serious, just stretched ligaments and bruising. Starting to turn all sorts of colors today.

With an aircast and hydro-c I was walking around pretty well today and heading out to SLC tomorrow night and hopefully will be able to tape up enough to get some snowboarding in.

tex
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Vikes and Gin!!!!! Sorry to hear about it.

JimN
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I told someone who was finishing school in order to become an orthopedic surgeon about the stiffness I had, long before I toasted it the last time, and he suggested looping a towel around my toes and using my big toe to "write" the alphabet in the air, pulling slightly up on the towel to supply tension. It worked.

The morning after I killed mine the last time, I decided to try some of the Vics I got from another "incident" and in two days, they did approximately squat. I could put maybe 30 pounds on that foot before I wanted to fall over. The third day, I needed to go to the store anyway, so I limped up to the pharmacy counter and asked if there was a problem with taking naproxin sodium while a Vicodin is wearing off and he said I could take them at the same time, if I wanted. I took two and in about a half hour, I could walk on it with much less pain.

JKTX21
02-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Just got back from an incredible snowboard trip, tons of snow!

Thanks to an ankle brace and a lot of vicodin I was able to enjoy myself!