PDA

View Full Version : Anybody skiing this time of year?

Trent 197
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I went skiing today and it was literally painful. I live in Louisiana, in the hot a$$ swamp, but it's been below 45 deg F for about 2 weeks. Today it was sunny and around 65 deg F, so we went for a run. I've got a Pyscho II, so my body was OK, but my feet, hands, and head (I ate it once) thobbed with pain when I was in the water.

Just wanted to know if anybody else was still out there cutting it up?

Trent

whitedog
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Kids went yesterday at a club outing, air temp 24, water 33. 34 skiers total.

SunCoast 83
01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Cold and raining in Orlando. :( No skiing - boat is in the shop getting new carpet :)

BrianM
01-28-2008, 12:04 AM
I haven't been out in two weeks. I was tempted to go out today with the break in the weather but decided against it. Mardi Gras next weekend so that is out. Probably not going to get out until weekend after next unless I can break away one day this week that is.

All I can say is drysuit. You are so much warmer than using a wetsuit. Makes a huge difference. Hands, feet and head still get a bit cold though.

Give me a buzz next week. If the weather is good the weekend of the 9th I am going to be overdue to get out on the course. I have hot shower and heated driver seat so it isn't so bad when you get out.

T-Rager
01-28-2008, 02:20 AM
I've been skiing approximately 2x per week here in the Seattle area (when the wind is calm) all winter. Water and air temperatures are 44 and 28-40 degrees, respectively. Most days the water is glass, which would be rare during warm weather.

In addition to a dry suit, we wear snow-ski gloves, hats and fluffy slippers with rubber bottoms between sets, and soak our feet in an ice chest filled with hot water from the shower before and after each set. We also leave our water-ski gloves in the hot water between sets.

My only issue this time of year is the high water level of the lake. All the launch docks are about 12" below the water surface, which provides for some adventure when launching and loading back onto the trailer.

Oh yah, I almost forgot about the face stings when you're skiing at 36 mph in wet snow and the "ice cream" headaches following a face plant.

SDAhockey21
01-28-2008, 05:12 AM
I went today, it was about here in Fl panhandle..... Wore a drysuit, gloves and closed toe bindings. No way I could have done it any other way. I am surprised I was able to ride so long this year. I rode on Christmas with a wet suit and it felt fine. I think i am done till abut mid March...

JohnnyB
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I went skiing today and it was literally painful. I live in Louisiana, in the hot a$$ swamp, but it's been below 45 deg F for about 2 weeks. Today it was sunny and around 65 deg F, so we went for a run. I've got a Pyscho II, so my body was OK, but my feet, hands, and head (I ate it once) thobbed with pain when I was in the water.

Trent

45 deg F....that's usually about the temp here when I start my season.....usually wait until after the 1st hard rain after the snow melts so the roads are salt free.

Looking forward to 45 deg F

JoshBuzz
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
water temp was 50 here!! Went yesterday!!!

:D

pq2
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I went last friday, water was around 23°C

Sodar
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Skiied on Saturday.

Trent 197
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm amazed at some of the comments from the guys up north. Even with warm water, heated seats, etc. in the boat, I still don't know how you can bear the cold on your feet and hands. I'm perfectly comfortable in the my wetsuit. We prime with hot water before getting in though. I don't think I could fit booties into my bindings. I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up :)

Brian, I'll give you a call that week...we'll hook something up.

suedv
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
The guys around here are talking about something in February... we'll have to see.

Bruce
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Trent

Trent where in La. are you?
War Eagle
Bruce

uawaterskier
01-28-2008, 11:54 PM
few guys on our team are skiing right now. BRRRRR

ROLL TIDE

CHaus21
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Not bad at all in Sunny Central Florida....

Trent 197
01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Bruce,

I'm in Baton Rouge...are you in LA?

uawaterskier,

I'm experiencing mixed emotions about you being a part of this thread...j/k, how's everything in T-town?

Maristar210
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I live in Grand Rapids, my water is frozen and I hate each and every one of you. Thirty days until the boat comes out of storage and when the air hits 50 I am in there !!!!!

Sue- February? where? I saw some pictures of Chris and Rob the other day - wholly molly :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

suedv
01-29-2008, 11:57 PM
The boys are going out prowling for open water... probably Port Sheldon by the power plant.

We ate dinner at Charlies Crab tonight. I looked out the window at the Grand River. We wouldn't ski there, but I must say it sure looked COLD. There was a lot of ice on the river and just a narrow stream of moving water.

gates and 1
01-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Okay...you guys are makin' me want to get out. I usually wait 'til 2nd week in feb. At 56, I need the 3 months off-time (recuperation from damages sustained during the season). Live in Nor-Cal....weather
has been 35-40 deg's, water temp of 46.

Bruce
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Bruce,

I'm in Baton Rouge...are you in LA?

uawaterskier,

I'm experiencing mixed emotions about you being a part of this thread...j/k, how's everything in T-town?

Trent I am in Lacombe about 15 minutes from Brian. My boat came out of Baton Rouge. Bought from a James Bonham. 1999 230VRS. Originally owned by an attorney there and bought from Bennett's.
Saw that great avatar of yours. My daughter(and soon to be ex son-in-law) graduated from Auburn.

suedv
01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I live in Grand Rapids, my water is frozen and I hate each and every one of you. Thirty days until the boat comes out of storage and when the air hits 50 I am in there !!!!!

Sue- February? where? I saw some pictures of Chris and Rob the other day - wholly molly :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Steve, if we find some open water do you want to come with us? Then you don't have to hate anyone. ;) We have extra wet suits and I'm sure we can find something that fits.

Maristar210
01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Steve, if we find some open water do you want to come with us? Then you don't have to hate anyone. ;) We have extra wet suits and I'm sure we can find something that fits.

Haaah Thanks Sue...

I have a wetsuit....

Keep me posted and thanks in advance.

Just kiddin on the "hate" comment...