PDA

View Full Version : Houseboat brands???

Jerseydave
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
If shopping for a houseboat, what brands do you like or recommend? This would be a used boat, aluminum hull for use in fresh water. I've seen several Gibson fiberglass ones which are built very solid, but all have either twin small block or big block chevys which makes the price high. Not to mention being fiberglass also raises the cost.

I'd like to eventually get something to use as a floating weekend condo, which is an alternative to waterfront property which is way out of reach at this time.

Any brand names stand out? Need to know what to search for on boat trader.

Thanks.

ShamrockIV
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Finally a topic that i am expert in!!!it all depends on ur budget and what u want to do with ur boat!! my family started on a 40ft steel hull in 1980. Now we are up to 80x18 sommerset with all the comforts of home!! we even broker houseboats!! you have to set a figure on how much u want to spend and go from there.

I am not a big gibson style houseboat fan. I am sure some people on here are. the do not have a big front deck and the step down can be a pain!! a big front deck and salon is key. you will spend most of ur time on the front deck!!

Pm me if you want to talk more about it!! we can even find you one here if it is in your budget and have it moved there!!

Jerseydave
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Your area must be houseboat heaven! Alum. hull houseboats around NJ are few and far between.

Use: It would be docked in fresh water on the upper Chesapeake bay area, only driven away from the dock on select weekends to drop anchor to use as home base for the X-star. Price would depend on condition, something under $75K or less.

I agree about the layout of alum. vs. Gibson style boats. I like a big front covered deck, wide interior (no need for outside walkways IMHO), large upper deck with possible hot tub and slide, nice size cabins for sleeping. Only need to sleep 6-8, and length would have to be under 50 ft. (Not many slips in Maryland for an 80-footer anyway) Something that needed an updated interior would be a possibility too.

I've rented 4 houseboats, all were alum. hull with single outboard (one had an I/O) and had great use of space.

Got a link for your brokerage site or (dare I say it) other houseboat dealers down your way? You could also PM me some pics if you want. Always like looking at houseboats.

BTW, we were thinking of checking out the big houseboat show. Do you know when and where that is? (TN or Kentucky I think, right?)

ShamrockIV
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
http://www.spboatsales.com

flipper
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=ShamrockIV]I am not a big gibson style houseboat fan. I am sure some people on here are. the do not have a big front deck and the step down can be a pain!! a big front deck and salon is key. you will spend most of ur time on the front deck!!

Two of my friends have Gibson's, and they are nice boats. But like you say, the steps down from the back deck, through the half size door is a pain. Nice boats, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Datdude
01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
I think Skipperliner is a popular brand on the Mississippi River? Houseboating with friends looks like a blast!:cool:

H20BOY
01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
We had a Lakeview and loved it.

KnoxX2
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Miss my Lake Place ..........................:(
We sold it yesterday
Air Force will be moving us this summer:mad:

ShamrockIV
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
we just sold a brand new lakeview. we deal alot with the folks at Funtime now!! they build an awesome boat and if you like customer service they are ur company!!

i will post a pic or two later in the week of some of our boats we have owned!!!

BIGBADBLUE
01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
We just built a Horizon ... 75X16. Definately get an Aluminum hull if you are on a lake and will see no waves. Alluminum hull will not do with any weather at all. They have much more room ... basically a floating barge. PM me if you want info on Aluminum houseboats as I just got done with all the research and we did extensive research.

The HB Show is in Louisville and the link is ... http://nationalhouseboatexpo.com/

BIGBADBLUE
01-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Here are some links if you want to start checking them out ...

http://www.horizon-yachts.com/

http://www.sumerset.com/

rodltg2
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
i have a 32' Gibson with single engine which i paid 16K for . somewhat of a fixer but mostly evertyhing worked. if i were on a lake i would not want this type of boat , but where i keep it we get alot of large cruisers and even ships . it seems to really handle the rough water well and doesnt take water over the front. Here in nor cal all the lakes the allow houseboating are packed full and have long waiting lists to get on. what alot people do is buy older ones , take them off and put in their brand new houseboat. these older houseboats can be bought very inexpensive . alot of them are in great conditon just a bit older. most of these boats end up where i keep mine which is the california delta. no limits (yet).

stuartmcnair
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
I have several friends that have them but I would think those are kind of regional and one built in the southeast might not be available for you. The people with the lakehouse across from us have a very nice one that they dock there for extra sleeping space for big family weekends.

They have one that doesn't have steps into the water, you have to use a ladder. I think that is the only thing they would change.