PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing Mastercraft Boat

loc
01-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Any help here is super appreciated. I'll start off with the bashing, current Malibu owner so you can let me have it on that note.

Here's my real question. We are upgrading this year, I want to throw MC into the mix as I just attended a boat show and I cannot ignore MC anymore. I used to rule it out on price alone, but throwing that asideI feel with we are selling ourselves short by not considering it.

The two boats in question are: Malibu LSV 247, Centurion Enzo SV230. I need to know what MC to add. I don't need all the details and fit and finish explanations. What I need to know from the MC arena, what boat do we need to investigate? Here's the only required stats:

- must hold 10+ people comfortably
- must be "the wakesurf boat from MC"

That being said, I already have ruled out an X-45, had the opportunity to ride behind an X-45 in a wakesurf contest this year and was not impressed with the wave at all. NOTE: not impressed with the wave, the boat itself was outstanding.

Can you help a Malibu/Wakesurfer out in factoring an MC into the decision process? Thanks in advance!

erkoehler
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
X-15 would be a good option if you don't like the X-45. We are able to surf the x-15 with stock ballast and a minimal crew of 3-4 people.

Chas
01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Not knowing much about the x-45, I would ask: can you adjust the wake by use of the ballast system, load it differently, or add ballast?

If the boat impressed you except for the wake, it would be a shame to give up only to find out that there was a better wake to be had by some minor changes.

Just a thought.

ShamrockIV
01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Prepare to buy a MC. there is a world of knowledge on here for you. Unfortunatly i have none for you!!

Good luck in your search!!

sand2snow22
01-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Enzo has a proven surf wake, I've seen some good pics of the 247. X-15 is smaller than those two boats, but maybe in the same price range! If you can demo the new X-35, let us know how you like the surf wake.

coz
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Any help here is super appreciated. I'll start off with the bashing, current Malibu owner so you can let me have it on that note.

Here's my real question. We are upgrading this year, I want to throw MC into the mix as I just attended a boat show and I cannot ignore MC anymore. I used to rule it out on price alone, but throwing that asideI feel with we are selling ourselves short by not considering it.

The two boats in question are: Malibu LSV 247, Centurion Enzo SV230. I need to know what MC to add. I don't need all the details and fit and finish explanations. What I need to know from the MC arena, what boat do we need to investigate? Here's the only required stats:

- must hold 10+ people comfortably
- must be "the wakesurf boat from MC"

That being said, I already have ruled out an X-45, had the opportunity to ride behind an X-45 in a wakesurf contest this year and was not impressed with the wave at all. NOTE: not impressed with the wave, the boat itself was outstanding.

Can you help a Malibu/Wakesurfer out in factoring an MC into the decision process? Thanks in advance!

I would take Centurion out of the mix period. I know 2 people with those problems. My choice of when buying my boat was between Malibu & Mastercraft, guess what I chose! :rolleyes: I would put MC into the mix, youll be happy good luck!

JBaker
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I would imagine the new X-35 would be your best comp., but I don't think anyone has surfed it yet to report. Even so, I would definitely check that boat out.

The X-80 surfs really well, but you could almost buy two 247's for that price.

loc
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
JBaker, thank you for the input, I will begin X-35 research for wakesurfing.

The boat is only for surfing so I cannot remove Centurion from the list coz. It's surely winning in the wave performance to date.

The X-80, a boat we checked out at the show I assume is just a little too much $$ as well I as I suspect big on gas.

[QUOTE=Chas]
If the boat impressed you except for the wake, it would be a shame to give up only to find out that there was a better wake to be had by some minor changes.
/QUOTE]
Chas, the X-45 wave was terrible, I suspect it's great for wakeboarding, skating and the boat itself was beautiful, the wave it creates made it unacceptable. This research is to add a wakesurf only boat.

So the X-35 is winning so far. Are there any X-35 owners out there that can help me with some Q's? Anyone have any MC wakesurf pics?

H20BOY
01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I love my X-15. When initially looking I was looking at larger boats, but the room inside is great. I can surf with just the factory ballast. Put 10 people in boat and wake is huge. Don't let the length fool you, the X-15 is really roomy.

x-10ron
01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
x-1, x-star, x-2, x-15, x-30, any of these boats will work. wakesurfering is just about all i ve been able to do since a busted up ankle from august.
My X-10 although it's an 01 with stock ballast and 5-6 people is awesome, I would think the x-15 which is the replacement for the x-10 should be about the same or better, x-35 is not out as of yet!!!

erkoehler
01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Don't forget to consider resale value when your purchasing.....Centurion's don't hold value as well as a MC. I have a customer that wants to sell an 06 Centurion, and it has been alot harder than selling any MC.

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Loc where in the south are you? Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to put you behind an X30 which should give you an idea of what an X15 will do. A friend of mine has an Xstar which is no doubt the boat to board behind, but we both like the surf wake of the 30 better. Now that the X35 is out dealers that have 30's should be making sweet deals on them. If you looking for a pointed bow, the 30 is the closest boat MC has to the size Bu you are looking at, but its days are numbered. In about a month my Xstar bud will have a new star with the 8.1L & Fly High system - can't wait to see what this beast will be able to do!

norris laker
01-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Loc, there are a couple of other things to consider besides the surf wake. The board racks and tower on a MC are far superior to any other boat. We have been able to put most of our surfboards in the rack (Calibrated, Walzer, Inland Surfer) I believe boards up to 2" thick will fit (the Shred Stix won't fit). No bungie cords on a MC rack. The swivel racks and board locks work great. The surf rope attaches too far forward on an Illusion tower. Check the ballast pumps on the boats. You'll be amazed at the differences. I believe Malibus and Centurions use pumps that are similar to bilge pumps.

loc
01-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Good stuff guys, I appreciate the input.

norris_laker, yeah, the pumps are standard rule bilge-type pumps. I think you know us by now to know that'll all be pulled out as soon as the MFG drops it in. As far as racks, the two rack deal won't work, I love the look of the racks but I am concerned we'll have to add racks down the front of the tower in order to hold the Stixx-size boards. We will be requiring 3 sets of racks on both boats yet trying to avoid a tubular, I know...Sounds ridiculous. We just can't have boards hanging all over the tower, the bow, the sun deck. Does MC have add-ons for any towers to support multiple racks? My research says we'll be mounting the 2"+ fitting racks down the front to complement the built-ins.

Eagle_Lake_Rebel - we're in Texas, and we're looking to hook up, I think I know who your friend is :) If I am correct, we'll be behind your boat(s) sometime this year, especially the X-Star to be delivered.

So the 30 needs to be tested and the 35 might be the ticket. That is what I am gathering?

Thanks again guys, when I was a Malibu homer, this process sure was a lot easier!

JoshBuzz
01-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Not to sure about any of our other boats having additional rack space, but I do know the CSX has racks on the back gunnel, but I'm not sure you can even get em if you get the tower option, you might have to get the t-top option to get the gunnel racks.

CSX would throw a mean surf wake though!!!

sand2snow22
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Interesting thread about wakesurfing and the future surf specific switchblade. I wonder if MC sees any value in these devices or if their engineers are cooking something up:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/538293.html?1201541037

norris laker
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Loc, I put my Shred Stix board side ways on top of my rack. I added a small rubber strip on top of the rack. Then I sit the board on its edge on top of the rack. I use a bungie to secure the board to the tower. This works very well. I probably could store multiple boards this way. I don't have an actual picture of the Shred Stix racked but I drew an image of where the board sits on the rack. The red board on the rack is a Walzer. Notice how much additional space is left with the Walzer in the rack.

ttu
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
my two inland surfers fit in the mc factory racks.

when i had my supra (surfboards did not fit) i added a dbot5 surf rack that held two boards.

would be easy to add to the mc tower.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
i have an 05 xstar and it surfs decently at best. however, i have a friend who has an 07 X 30 and it really surfs well with stock ballast and three people. the wave is considerably further behind that boat than my xstar. it is a longer wave. i suspect it would be a very good surf boat if /when he decides to ballast it. good luck. ps- i bought a couple of surfboards from your company at christmas and had a very good experience. we haven't ridden them yet but we are foaming at the mouth to get on them. bought a walker project and an IS blue lagoon.

moleson10
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
FWIW, I surf behind a PS197 and it works surprisingly well. Better than the Malibu Sunsetter with wedge or the Air Nautique I tried. With 750 lbs of ballast and 3-4 people the wake isn't huge but the shape is outstanding. It creates more of a "foreward wave" if that makes sense. Probably doesn't help your choice but may be useful to others who see this thread.

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-28-2008, 05:31 PM
loc- I think I've talked to you about a board for my son who is 10. Will have the 30 back on the water in mid March. As for the Xstar, it's the year round machine. Come on when you are ready & I'll be giving you a call for that board towards the end of Feb.

loc
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Thank you Eagle_Lake_Rebel, looking forward to it.

So I am using local resources here to try to find something we can get in and test. I was hoping to get some MC surf pics or video. Does anyone have any media of MC surfing they can share? Thanks in advance!

kmillard92
01-30-2008, 01:32 AM
here's some pics of surfing on my friend's 2007 x-15 (it was this guys first time surfing so that's why it looks like hes falling in every pic :D ). full ballast on port side and none in center or starboard. 2 people sitting on the port stearn.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2229516561_cdca3b9f12.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2230311838_49114edddb.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2230308700_5f4f888e43.jpg

larger versions here:
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2230311838&size=l
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2229516561&size=l
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2230308700&size=l

jcbatt
01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I've heard very good things about the wakesurf wake behind the 247. I would echo comments above about resale value on the Centurian. I loved the way we were able to dial in our 21' VLX's that we had in the past for surfing. We didn't surf nearly as much this year behind the X-15, but if you get it dialed in, it does a nice job. I learned that you have to be careful not to put too much weight in the rear corner on the side you're surfing on. The surf wake responds best when a little heavy in that corner, but well weighted throughout the boat.

I don't know that you're going to be able to get all the racks you want to on an MC though.

badams
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Being a previous owner of an X45 and a current owner of an X2 (moved to private lake w/ a length limit) I'm surprised that you didn't like the wake on the X45. I thought the wake was excellent and very large. Just curious, what did you not like about it.

Carbon Dreams
01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Being a previous owner of an X45 and a current owner of an X2 (moved to private lake w/ a length limit) I'm surprised that you didn't like the wake on the X45. I thought the wake was excellent and very large. Just curious, what did you not like about it.

Agreed! With the proper ballast placement, the 45 is pretty dang big and easy to ride. It took me about a season to really get it dialed as I was used to my ol' 'bu 21 LSV. I weigh about 200-205 and ride my Exile skim board all day behind my 45. My wave is at least to my waist and I'm 6'3". Of course I want a bigger wave, but really, it's not the ocean :D

firstmc
01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Heres some surfin pics with Me driving and only 1 other person in the boat.

Sorry one is blurry.

coz
01-31-2008, 08:09 AM
here's some pics of surfing on my friend's 2007 x-15 (it was this guys first time surfing so that's why it looks like hes falling in every pic :D ). full ballast on port side and none in center or starboard. 2 people sitting on the port stearn.

Is that lake Smelsinore? Looks a little cleaner since the last time I was there. :D looks like maybe they can call elsinore again. :D

kmillard92
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Is that lake Smelsinore? Looks a little cleaner since the last time I was there. :D looks like maybe they can call elsinore again. :D

haha yep! those were back in october and it wasnt too bad. :rolleyes:

coz
02-01-2008, 09:31 AM
haha yep! those were back in october and it wasnt too bad. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see it clean because in so cal you don't have to many choices on where to wakeboard/ski. :D I used to live in OC and we put alot of time on this lake. :D

ridesdirt
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Mastercraft offers the Z5 rack. It fits X2, X15, X30, X45, maybe more.

Never seen one in person, but it looks to hold several Boards in addition to what the standard racks hold.

badams
02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Mastercraft offers the Z5 rack. It fits X2, X15, X30, X45, maybe more.

Never seen one in person, but it looks to hold several Boards in addition to what the standard racks hold.

I actually saw one in person at the boat show this weekend. Just got off the phone and ordered one. It has much more shade coverage and offers a lot of storage for tubes, boards etc. It's pretty pricey though. Looks like it will be about $1,600. Worth it for me though I always have a lot of kids on the boat and have a new baby that we need the shade for.

Roonie's
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I have seen the Z5 rack in person too. I decided not to order one and got a regular bimini instead for the following reasons. The Z5 rack is always up and somedays I don't want to have something over my head. Second if you do take it down it doesn't fold up and therefore you will have to have a storage space for it somewhere as it is big and bulky. Forget about taking it down while out on the water. The one I saw was also mounted lower than a regular bimini (probably for the tube space on top) so you have to duck everytime to go under.

It is a nice rack.

Sodar
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I never knew what a Z5 rack was, so I found a pic.

badams
02-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I have seen the Z5 rack in person too. I decided not to order one and got a regular bimini instead for the following reasons. The Z5 rack is always up and somedays I don't want to have something over my head. Second if you do take it down it doesn't fold up and therefore you will have to have a storage space for it somewhere as it is big and bulky. Forget about taking it down while out on the water. The one I saw was also mounted lower than a regular bimini (probably for the tube space on top) so you have to duck everytime to go under.

It is a nice rack.

You are correct. It can't be taken down like the bimini. It does have a pretty easy system to take it down but you will have to have the room to store it. I've got a 10 month old so I won't be taking mine down too often. It does have a cool quick release system that allows the rack to tilt so you can put items on top for storage. As far as the height goes it actually mounts 66" from the floor of the boat. So if you are 5'6" or taller you will have to duck. The picture of the tower on the S#@ra doesn't do the MC tower justice. The MC tower has much more support than the pic above.

sand2snow22
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
This is my friend's Supra. He almost didn't get the Z5 b/c he loves the sun and you can't take it down like a bimini. He usually has a lot of people on his boat and he needs the extra storage space. We throw surf boards and wakeboards up there. (Since surf boards don't fit in his racks? i.e. they fit in MC racks just fine.) Pretty easy to get down, too. Just pop the rear pins, fold the top down and unstrap the boards. You can tow with it. Added bonus, but probably sucks to fold the tower and put in the garage, tho.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/533992.jpg

Eagle Lake Rebel
02-02-2008, 10:37 AM
A friend of mine just got a new Xstar with the Z5. It looks great and no doubt storage up there is great, but I don't think the extra tower bracing for the '07 & '08 boats will work with it. My '07 X30 needs the extra bracing to keep the wiggle down. The Xstar tower is a lot stronger so you may can get away with out the extra support bracing. I plan on giving the Z5 folks a call to see if they plan on updating their top so I can upgrade in the near future.

ShamrockIV
02-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Who makes that Z5 rack? i am putting a ND tower on my 205 and i could use the extra storage!!

loc
02-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Cool pics guys and thanks for the feedback. I personally cannot own a Z5, earlier last season I was hit by a board and had to go to the ER as a wakeboard & bindings came down on me. Although I'll never know if the tramp bounced the board (heavy) out from under the bungee or it was not secured properly. I did not secure it, and I did not check it so I'll never know. Regardless, now I have a fear of the tower with boards up there.

The X-45 was a beautiful boat, all the MC bling, just after riding in 247's and 23 LSV's the wave was just not there. There's a hundred variables, weight, driver, lake, but in the end it left a disappointing taste. I should see if I can find some pics from it and post them so you don't think I am crazy.

loc
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Heres some surfin pics with Me driving and only 1 other person in the boat.

Sorry one is blurry.

How much weight in the boat, anything outside of stock ballast and how tall is the wakesurfer?

KevenAtWakeUSF
02-03-2008, 01:51 AM
My buddy has an X-Star, and the wakesurf wake behind it is absolutely horrible IMO. And don't question if we have enough weight in it, because that is definitely not the issue. I think alot of the reasons listed about should NOT be considered. You come in here asking about wake questions and people argue you should get a MC because of board racks, resale and bling? Hell no, these boats are purpose built and I dont care how many times a board rack can spin around, if it cant kick up a wake it failed. Keep trying boats and pick one YOU like to ride behind, not one that has heated cupholders that double as sex toys.

badams
02-03-2008, 02:23 PM
The X-45 was a beautiful boat, all the MC bling, just after riding in 247's and 23 LSV's the wave was just not there. There's a hundred variables, weight, driver, lake, but in the end it left a disappointing taste. I should see if I can find some pics from it and post them so you don't think I am crazy.

I would suggest having the local dealer take you out again in the X45 and let them know that you are specifically interested in wakesurfing. That way they can set up the boat correctly. If it is set up correctly you should have a wake that is waist high with a good lip curl.

loc
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
badams - the X45 was driven in a wakesurf contest by the local MC dealer and a wakesurf board mfg, it wasn't a test drive.

badams
02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
loc - I did understand that your ride on the X45 was during a contest. As I mentioned I was just surprised that you weren't satisfied with the wake. Hopefully the MC dealer knew how to set up the boat in the manner that would provide the best wake possible. I agree with Kevenwakeusf. Not sure what board racks and resale have to do with your question. When buying a boat it has to be all about what you are going to use it for. Good luck finding the best boat for you.

JoshBuzz
02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Keven get out of here lol. It's not all about the bling, it's about boat construction. MC's are built better than any other boat out there IMO, and that is unarguable!! We weighted down my buddy's 07 X-Star and got a great surf wake out of it! Mind you we had over 1000 pounds in the back corner with extra stereo batteries, and ballast, and people, but it was still nice!! If there is a MC that throws a great surf wake, it would just be the logical choice, for resale value, better construction, and customer service. not bashing Bu's or anything else, but these boats take a beating, and need to be able to hold up! MC resale value is still the highest, and for good reason!!

sk8salomon
02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
not trying to hyjack this thread but for some strange reason the early 80's MC's have a great surf wake. My buddy and I used to longboard surf behind his 85 stars & stripes all day long with no weight or anybody except a driver. We tried numerous times with my '89 PS190 but it wasn't as good.:confused: i guess the hull difference.

norris laker
02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
loc - I did understand that your ride on the X45 was during a contest. As I mentioned I was just surprised that you weren't satisfied with the wake. Hopefully the MC dealer knew how to set up the boat in the manner that would provide the best wake possible. I agree with Kevenwakeusf. Not sure what board racks and resale have to do with your question. When buying a boat it has to be all about what you are going to use it for. Good luck finding the best boat for you.

Why would you want to spend 60-70 grand on a boat for surfing and not be concerned about being able to put your quiver of boards in the racks. Mastercraft's racks can accommodate bigger surf boards than any other boat manufacturer. Loc previously stated that he had been hit in the head from an improperly stored board, so I would think board racks might be an important consideration.

jbanczak
02-05-2008, 02:21 AM
I ride behind 2 boats - a 99 Maristar 23, and an 03 Malibu 23. We use the rope to get up - that is about it. The malibu, with stock ballast, is almost impossible to ride with two in the boat. The Maristar, setup properly, is a dream. See my pics.

With extra ballast and people, the Maristar is still steeper, bigger lip, but not as clean. We've played around with the config in both many times. So I'll go on record as the late 90's MC's are excellent surf boats as well.

badams
02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Why would you want to spend 60-70 grand on a boat for surfing and not be concerned about being able to put your quiver of boards in the racks. Mastercraft's racks can accommodate bigger surf boards than any other boat manufacturer. Loc previously stated that he had been hit in the head from an improperly stored board, so I would think board racks might be an important consideration. Norris, while I agree that everything must be taken into consideration I was merely stating that he needs to make sure the boat meets his initial criteria first, ie; wakesurfing

Benny Boy
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I visited the front page of your web site. You guys seem like awesome surfers, but from what I see on the pictures, I can rig just about any MC and make a more impressive and better shaped wake for surfing.

I'm in MC sales, so you can say I'm buyest, but I can assure you you'll get a much better boat, more solid, better resale value than with any other boat on the market. You jump in a MC with 10 people and not only will they be impressed by the look and finish of the boat, but as soon as you start crossing wakes, spend a good amount of time on the seats, turn on the sound system,etc. everyone will understand why you chose MasterCraft.

For the wakes, just play a bit with the ballasts and wake plate and I garantee you you'll be amazed. Even with an X45. The one you tried may have been in a tournament set up, but I doubt that the person who rigged the boat for that day knew everything about the perfect wake for surfing. Just my thought.

I only wished you were in my area and I could spend about 1 hour with you, you would take Malibu and Centurion out of the picture very quickly, even though they're nice looking boats ;)

eyeball_jerry
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
the youtube video we made has my buddy surfing behind his 205. at 30 secs in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0XqqQa9L4

endl
02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Cool pics guys and thanks for the feedback. I personally cannot own a Z5, earlier last season I was hit by a board and had to go to the ER as a wakeboard & bindings came down on me. Although I'll never know if the tramp bounced the board (heavy) out from under the bungee or it was not secured properly. I did not secure it, and I did not check it so I'll never know. Regardless, now I have a fear of the tower with boards up there.

You have got to learn the X-45. Takes some dialing in. It seems like it needs more weight I believe to make the "great" wakes. It takes full ballast full fuel along with about 8 people to really get there. I am adding additional ballast and a new prop so I can get there with less people. The adjustment plate makes it very nice.

By the way love your website and appreciate the great deal I got on my wetsounds.

Carbon Dreams
02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
You have got to learn the X-45. Takes some dialing in. It seems like it needs more weight I believe to make the "great" wakes. It takes full ballast full fuel along with about 8 people to really get there. I am adding additional ballast and a new prop so I can get there with less people. The adjustment plate makes it very nice.

By the way love your website and appreciate the great deal I got on my wetsounds.

What prop? You have the MCX engine, right?

loc
02-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I visited the front page of your web site. You guys seem like awesome surfers, but from what I see on the pictures, I can rig just about any MC and make a more impressive and better shaped wake for surfing.

I only wished you were in my area and I could spend about 1 hour with you, you would take Malibu and Centurion out of the picture very quickly, even though they're nice looking boats ;)

Benny Boy - I appreciate input, even from Sales, I expect you to know more about your boats than owners, so don't trip on being biased.

Our site is national and is not Malibu driven, I cannot sync pics up to models outside of the pics I posted or road in. We also don't discriminate the owner or wake - if it's surfable and the picture is wakesurfing and the people are having fun we post it!

I am surprised by your comment about more impressive and better shaped - ignore the angle of course, but this wave is ridiculous.

http://wakeoutlaws.com/media/loc/vpiercey.jpg

As far as shape - this looks good to me, shot from the water.

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/media/loc/stunami.jpg

For MC to be in the running, it needs to compete with these waves. The boats are awesome but I want it to be ridiculous!

Roy's right too, the amount of rack space is critical, I am not going to talk about how many boards we take out on a day, let alone demo days. The Z5 is a solution, but not for me.

Endl - anytime on the deal - just let me know, we love hooking people up!

I guess I need help with someone who owns a 45 then, to take me out and re-dial. I totally spaced getting the pics but I should hunt those down. I need a ride in MC wakesurf boat!

jbanczak
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Wait a minute loc - I haven't seen these pics before. What boat and configuration produced this? And who do I write the check out to?

Seriously - that is ridiculous.

loc
02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
The first is an 07 Enzo SV230, photo was taken by Vince:http://pierceyphotography.com/

The second is an 06 23LSV - I did not post the 247 but it's in the same ranks.

loc
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Again - if there is anyone in Texas that can give our crew some runs behind a new (07/08) MC we are stoked to take it out. I am meeting with the local dealer this weekend at the boat show - I hope they can help me out!

jbanczak
02-06-2008, 05:53 PM
How much weight? Half the time I ride on a 23 LSV, and we are not getting that out of it.

loc
02-06-2008, 06:04 PM
jbanczak - the Enzo is with the Enzo Sac by Fly High Pro-X and a switchblade. That's the 2007 World Wakesurfing Champion regular weighted boat.

The LSV has pop bags thru the length plus 750 in the rear, some crew, power wedge and a sac on the wrap around. The pop bags are the entire length including bow - that and of course stock ballast. Actually one of the lighter ones as I think the pops are only 40lbs.

Here's another pic from that day with a rider - height I believe is 5'9" of the rider. Don't quote me, he may be 5'8"

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/media/loc/ryansurf.jpg

endl
02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
What prop? You have the MCX engine, right?
Yes MCX, Acme 14.5 X 14.25 was what I went with. It is supposed to handle the 2k over stock ballast. Model 1285 I believe.

LOC, I would bet my boat if you load a X-45 up with as much ballast as those boats have shown, you will get just as good wake.

I think for comparison sake you need to compare lenth, width, weight and how much ballast including people on board to make a fair comparison.

JoshBuzz
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
jacked this off WakeWorld, but this is a monster wake behind an X2!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/JoshLbusby/541730.jpg

Carbon Dreams
02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
One thing is for sure...The X45, X30 etc... will require a bunch of weight. Mostly due to the displacement of the hull. In order to get the same surf wake (wave) with my X45 as my 'bu 21LSV, I had to get 4 more fat sacks. I've lost track of the total weight, but it's in the order of 1800 lbs above stock ballast. The smaller hull of the 21LSV was easy to sink and get the shape correct. With the wedge, it was flat out huge. That being said, I have been able to get a more ridable wave with the X45. It's funny how every rider will interpret the wave potential different. It has as much to do with board size, board rocker, and rider weight as it does with boat setup. I prefer a steep face with curl. This is because I am riding a Skim board that is very fast. It makes spins and slides easily. With this board, you can accelerate to the flats and whip back for some fun. Personally, I love the X45 wave, it just takes more weight.

If Loc doesn't like the wave from an X45, he probably never will. That's OK. The waves from other brands are easily as big and certainly differ in shape than the MC line.

Carbon Dreams
02-06-2008, 07:23 PM

I was hoping to see a set up X2 wave. That is a hull I have been jonesin to setup. :D

Roonie's
02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I am adding the fat sac in the rear compartment (400#) as well as a 700# on the left side seat. I will use left stock and center stock ballast. That will be roughly around 1500-1600 lbs for an 07 X2. I have heard from the rep that this makes a sweet surf wake. Anymore weight or less weight and it starts to wash out. This will be the setup I will be running.

loc
02-06-2008, 07:46 PM
endl - for sure, that's why I am trying to find out which one fits and I can compare fairly.

JoshBuzz - NICE, REAL NICE!

Carbon Dreams - to be fair although I have a bad taste of the X-45, I have a lot to learn about wakesurfing in an MC. I am looking forward to meeting with the dealer this weekend and learning more about this X-30.

That X-2 is looks outstanding JoshBuzz! I wish I had the stats/ballast on that pic. Anymore pics?

JoshBuzz
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I wish I had more info on it, that was jacked off of wakeworld, lemme ask the guy about the weight and all!!

jbanczak
02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
So I am going to plumb a system into my Maristar. Already got it setup with some help here. The 455lb Fly-High's in the V-drive lockers, a 360lb locker sack. Then I throw one 250lb across the back seat, and I have a few cubes to play around with. I think I will add the 600lb in front.

That would give me, assuming I only fill one v-drive at a time, 455 in way back, 250 on seat, 360 center, and 600 front. Total of 1500 or so, add the couple cubes. questions -

Does this seem like too much front and center?

When do you start to get concerned that you are going to take a wake over the bow and sink your boat?

I agree on the shape - I moved inland from CA coast - so my history is surfing. I'll take steeper with a lip any day though. Flatter doesn't do much good on any board from what I can tell.

And I've seen the same in wakesurfing as real surfing - the race to go smaller. In surfing, it isn't impressive to ride a 6' tri-fin if you are 200lbs. What is impressive is the guy that can rip a 7' tri-fin as good as a 6'...

I've settled on a pattern - I get on a landlock every session for the first ride or two to set the wake, then switch to an Oogle. I've been on smaller boards plenty of times, but I can cut the landlock up off the lip almost as hard, and it builds a lot of speed off the wave. Not as much as the oogle of course, but way better than being 2 inches deep on the little hyperlites.

Benny Boy
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Benny Boy - I appreciate input, even from Sales, I expect you to know more about your boats than owners, so don't trip on being biased.

I am surprised by your comment about more impressive and better shaped - ignore the angle of course, but this wave is ridiculous.

Ya, I admit those pictures you posted are somewhat interesting;)
I didn't look at all the pictures on your website, only the first few on the first page, but this was not a negative comment or criticism, but those 2 you posted on this thread are amazing.

Try this link for another thread on Teamtalk. Scroll down the first page. You'll find a picture of an X45 surf wake with stock ballast. I think you know more than enough to imagine what you can do with this wake with a few extra ballasts and a little tweek with the wake plate.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20936&highlight=biggest+wake

Yes I'm in sales, but I've owned a ski-wake school for over 20 years. Used MC till I was about 23, then had BU for about 6-7 years, then CC for about 7 years, now back to MC. I sold CC, Moomba-Supra for 3 years, visited all those factories. Let me talk as the boat owner and not the salesman: I can absolutely assure you they are the best built, best designed, coolest boats in the industry. You have to see how they build the boats to beleive it. Don't hesitate man, I garantee you you won't regret it.

Plus, when you run your program with a MC, your school's image will be upgraded by a few notches. It happened to me and to everyone I know that made the move. People show up on the dock, see you own a MC, and they go holly ..., you guys are running with class this year. It's always a sweet feeling for the ego.

Oh ya, thanks for the correction: bias and not buyest. Don't know where my mind was when I wrote that. :purplaugh

Have fun shopping!

norris laker
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/JoshLbusby/541730.jpg

There is something wrong with this picture. Look at the angle of the ski rope. The angle indicates that this person should be surfing on the starboard side but he is surfing on the Port side. Could be wrong but I don't think this is a real picture.

thijs
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
There is something wrong with this picture. Look at the angle of the ski rope. The angle indicates that this person should be surfing on the starboard side but he is surfing on the Port side. Could be wrong but I don't think this is a real picture.

I think it just looks that way because the picture is taken very low and the rope is going up to the tower. The vectors are confusing i agree......

loc
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I gave it the benefit out of the doubt assuming the rider carved down the wave heelside and was just edging back into the wave. Although, I thought the same.

In the end, I want to think if that is wakesurfing in a mastercraft - well then the MC is beyond legit!!!

Benny Boy
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I think it just looks that way because the picture is taken very low and the rope is going up to the tower. The vectors are confusing i agree......

I think the guy is laying on the platform to take the picture. The rope may even be going to the pylon or the pull out cleat.

Wow! what a phenomenal wake though! You can go on forever on that wake.

KnoxX2
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
LOC

I think you need to talk to MC Corp. and come to Tn. and do a tour.
Let me know if I can help

norris laker
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I think the guy is laying on the platform to take the picture. The rope may even be going to the pylon or the pull out cleat.

Wow! what a phenomenal wake though! You can go on forever on that wake.

The rope is going up. It can not be on a pylon or cleat. I wish the photo was true but I think the photo is a fake for four reason.
1. the rope angle
2. the shadow doesn't look rights. I've taking thousands on surfing pictures on the water and have never seen a shadow come close to looking like the one in the picture
3. the lack of curl on a wake that big
4. The number one reason is: If you had a boat that could throw a wake like the one in the picture do you really think that you would be surfing with a rope or you would let somebody take your picture with a rope.

JBaker
02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I gave it the benefit out of the doubt assuming the rider carved down the wave heelside and was just edging back into the wave. Although, I thought the same.

In the end, I want to think if that is wakesurfing in a mastercraft - well then the MC is beyond legit!!!

Can I drop a plug for wakeoutlaws? They are the ^&%#!!

Aric'sX15
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
it is real. thers 3 more pic's and thats just a bad one.

chrisbank
02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
loc - did you settle on a boat?

Most V-Drive models that any of the manufacturers will make pretty good wake-surf boats.
It is really just a matter of finding the right setup combo of weight in the proper places to bring the most out of your boat.

kevfischer
02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
If you are still in the market for an x15. Marine World in wichita, Ks has a great deal on an 06 X15. It is Navy / White. Here is a link to it. It is brand new but a great deal. http://www.marineworld.com/X15_-_(MBCNMND4C606)/SIDE.jpg

jbanczak
02-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Why is there a rope in that picture at all?

JoshBuzz
02-09-2008, 10:56 PM
It is real, I can find the other pics from that same day if you want. posting on here is like feeding sharks. you throw up something good and they tear it apart...

east tx skier
02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd like to see the rest of the pics if you have them.

Chief
02-09-2008, 11:23 PM
That might be a wake behind a AGEIS Destroyer. I call BS, I've had my X2 Double ballasted and full of people and it might have been belly button high.

JoshBuzz
02-09-2008, 11:31 PM
lemme e-mail the guy and get em, if he's not a liar they'll be up by tomorrow!!

Benny Boy
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
It is real, I can find the other pics from that same day if you want. posting on here is like feeding sharks. you throw up something good and they tear it apart...

What else is new?:rolleyes:

c_craig
02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear all the good buzz about the X-15. Just got to see mine this weekend (in the dealership garage). We won't bring it home for a while, but sure got me in the mood for some boarding and surfing. Picture's kind of crappy, but the boat looks great. Can't wait for spring in O-H-I-O.

Benny Boy
02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Awesome looking boat man! Looks like you're gonna have a great summer.