PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

rob935
01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
hi guys i have a 93 prostar 190 and have just bought a depth/fish finder , just wondering where the best place to mount the sonar would be, it needs to screw on to the hull below the waterline at the rear but the obvious place is directly in the wash from the prop , would this cause any cavitation ?? any ideas would be great as always ..

Thanks Rob.

JKTX21
01-27-2008, 02:59 PM
What kind of depth guage did you buy?

92 190 PS
01-27-2008, 03:18 PM
hi guys i have a 93 prostar 190 and have just bought a depth/fish finder , just wondering where the best place to mount the sonar would be, it needs to screw on to the hull below the waterline at the rear but the obvious place is directly in the wash from the prop , would this cause any cavitation ?? any ideas would be great as always ..

Thanks Rob.

Did you just say you just bought a depth/FISH finder for your 190? :confused: :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
01-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Not sure of the purpose? I do not see the need for one on an MC. Surely you are not gonna use it to fish? and if you are in shallow water by the time you see on the depth finder that you are in shallow water9if u are keeping a good eye on it), you will be too late to keep from hurting your boat!! rethink drilling more holes or screwing stuff to the hull of your boat.

but if you had to. why not under the swim platform?

JohnnyB
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
A thru-hull transducer is the way to go. IIRC for your boat there is a place to expoxy it in opposite the boat centerline from the raw water intake.

Mounting it ouside the boat on the platform, transom, etc is a PITA from a standpoint of it getting bumped, being in the way and from the fact that you're drilling into your hull

rob935
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks guys , i can understand your surprise at fitting a fish finder to a m.c for sure but i have my reasons !! (bought as an xmas gift ) the lake i use it on can get shallow in summer in places close to my jetty so its only for a guide and as for the fishing i never fish from the m.c. but its nice to know where the fish are if the mood takes me to launch the "titanic" our vintage fishin tug...thanks again,

rob935
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks guys , i can understand your surprise at fitting a fish finder to a m.c for sure but i have my reasons !! (bought as an xmas gift ) the lake i use it on can get shallow in summer in places close to my jetty so its only for a guide and as for the fishing i never fish from the m.c. but its nice to know where the fish are if the mood takes me to launch the "titanic" our vintage fishin tug...thanks again,

TMCNo1
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM

I don't think it's as much about the depth/fish finder as the exposed drill holes/screw into the hull transom mount transducer rather than the epoxied in the bilge shoot-thru the hull transducer.:twocents:

rob935
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
thanks guys i get the message about drilling holes in the transom, however the thought of going with the through hull option scares me even more ....

TMCNo1
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks guys i get the message about drilling holes in the transom, however the thought of going with the through hull option scares me even more ....

MasterCraft installs them that way from the factory! It's a proven method and many owners, including myself have installed one. Mine has been working properly for over 10 years.

bobbyB
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I had to mount the transducer on the transome for the depth gauge I got also. One of the bonuses about this placement is that it also gives me lake temps, which thru-hulls aren't so good at.

I place mine to the right of the right Pitot pick-up. Check to make sure that your trailer bunk doesn't interfere with that location. Also, I had to move the location of where I strap down to the trailer, as the "stock" location for hooking onto the trailer would have had the strap running right across the transducer. Two large galv. eye hooks drilled thru the trailer frame and I had my new tie down spots.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have used a marine grade epoxy and glued it to the hull instead of drilling. If you do decide to drill make sure you use those special drill bits, or you can use a regular drill bit ran in reverse. If you run a reg drill bit in forward it will crack the gel coat. One more thing...after you have your hole drilled, counter sink the edges of the hole to help prevent any cracking of the gel coat. I also used silicone in the hole and then ran the screw in to help seal the hole. 2 yrs ago and so far so good.

B

rob935
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
sounds like a plan tmcno1 , i shall bow to your superior knowlege and go with the tried and tested method then, thanks for the advice its much appreciated .

rob935
01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks for the reply bobbyB, that also gives me food for thought, i also like the idea of the lake temp feed back but also the model i have has the advantage of an extra speedo as well ,

east tx skier
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Just for the sake of saying it, you realize that you don't have to drill anything for the "thru hull transducer," right? You just afix it to the inside of the bilge and wire it up for the most part. No drilling required.

rob935
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
thanks east tx, i had a look at some more options and your dead right about the thru hull being the easiest option, i wasnt aware of that option and certainly presents the safest and easiest method,

many thanks rob.