PDA

View Full Version : Is there a vet in the house....

JohnnyB
01-27-2008, 12:45 PM
The short version:

My two-year old lab broke off his two canine teeth (fangs) last night. He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain...in fact it doesn't seem to bother him at all other than he is drooling a lot. From everything I've read on the net, its not a big deal as long as I get him to the vet in a few days.....anybody have experience with this? If I take him in tomorrow, I can go to my vet whom I trust. If I take him in today, I've gotta take him to the emergency clinic, pay big $$ and get someone I probably don't trust.

The long version....

My daughter and I were sitting in the hot tub last night...my lab has a thing for eating the ice that forms around the outside of the tub....he breaks it off the deck and runs around the yard like a fool with it in his mouth....he is VERY aggressive about breaking the chunks loose from the top of the deck by the tub....I'm guessing his body strenght is much bigger than the strength of his fangs....he was very docile all night and drooling/licking constantly. Assuming he had something stuck in his teeth, I opened his moutn this morning and saw what was left of his teeth....their both broken off at a diagonal which ends just above the gumline toward the rear of his mouth....I think that would hurt like hell....doesn't bother him much.

whitedog
01-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Soory to hear that. Not a vet but called m hunting buddy who is. He said should be ok till Monday. But get it taken care of. You lab is in pain just not showing it. They try to please us and suffer in silence. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.avds-online.org/info/brokenteeth.html

JohnnyB
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Whitedog,

Thanks for calling your vet friend and verifying what I read. The link you posted is one of them I read this morning.....yup, I know he doesn't show he's in pain, but is. He's rather docile today. If it wasn't for the 2-3feet of snow at the pheasant club, we'd have been out today. Would've been interesting to see him handle birds....I'm guessing adrenaline and instinct would've over-ridden pain.....it usually does :cool: Labs are the greatest dogs in the world IMHO :)

Thanks again.