PDA

View Full Version : More Gas Discussion

ktn_cmu
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey, here in MI we have to pay a ton in road tax...as I think in many other states. But since our boats aren't on the road...do we have to pay that tax? I think there is an exemption, but not sure how it works. Anyone here ever tried to get outta paying road taxes for the boat gas???

Mag_Red
03-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Does your boat fly through the air to get to the lake???? :D

ktn_cmu
03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Does your boat fly through the air to get to the lake???? :D

Yes... :rant:

Actually, the launch is only half a mile from the house. So the boat goes about 1 mile/year...hmmm.

However, following the logic that since it is on the trailer and the trailer is on the road I should pay road tax in addition to the road tax being paid for in the pulling vehicle, then every time you pull a trailer you need to pay road tax. So...if I buy a piano and use a trailer to get it to my house, I should formuhlate how much tax I owe and send the money to the state???

Ric
03-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey, here in MI we have to pay a ton in road tax...as I think in many other states. But since our boats aren't on the road...do we have to pay that tax? I think there is an exemption, but not sure how it works. Anyone here ever tried to get outta paying road taxes for the boat gas???
TX, offers a form that you fill out for rebate of road taxes paid for non-road use of gasoline purchased in TX.
I sent it off once, and got a letter back asking for more info, I laid it aside, next thing you know --NO REBATE FOR YOU--

ski_king
03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
When you renew your boat registration in PA they ask how many gallons you used in your boat the previous year.

In theory they transfer the taxes to the Fish and Boat Commission.

No rebates.

Ric
03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
When you renew your boat registration in PA they ask how many gallons you used in your boat the previous year.

In theory they transfer the taxes to the Fish and Boat Commission.

No rebates.
shhhhhhh don't tell anyone in Austin about that

ktn_cmu
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/hwytaxes/2001/pt5.htm

Mag_Red
03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
[qoute]full refund of tax used in motor boats in Kentucky[/quote] Interesting...........what if you buy the gas in Ohio, then tow your boat to a lake in kentcky?? Who do I contact about getting my exemption???? :D

AirJunky
03-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Here in Washington there is a form we fill out every quarter. They ask questions like how far you trailer your boat, how many gallons of gas used, etc. and then send you a rebate based on that. It amounts to about .12 per gallon. Since I trailer the boat very little, I usually get about $40 per quarter back. The form takes about 2 min. to fill out.

Mag_Red
03-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Air, what branch of government do you contact in your state???

Ric
03-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Air, what branch of government do you contact in your state???
mag it may vary from state to state but I bet a quick google search would get you to the right "agency"

djhuff
03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
We get it in NC, just gave my boat gas receipts to the accountant, he is taking care of it.

JEREMY79
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM
What gets me is that your boat never touches the road. :) You pay tax on your trailer same as your truck. So in my opinion (everybody has one) you should not have to pay taxes on the gas used in your boat.
**WARNING--if you work for the goverment I'm going to offend you**

Its just another way for them to get more money to spend on stupid sh@*

bcampbe7
03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Sorry man, it doesn't look like Michigan offers a Fuel Tax Refund...

Fuel Tax Refund Information (http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp)

ktn_cmu
03-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Sorry man, it doesn't look like Michigan offers a Fuel Tax Refund...

Fuel Tax Refund Information (http://www.americanboating.org/fueltax.asp)

That's a good website...but it is comprehensive? What about the quote Mag displayed about Kentucky...it's not on this other page???

Mag_Red
03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
That's a good website...but it is comprehensive? What about the quote Mag displayed about Kentucky...it's not on this other page???
I found that on the first link provided. It's at the very bottom of the list of States.

captkidd
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
We get it in NC, just gave my boat gas receipts to the accountant, he is taking care of it.
DJ, did you have to file it with your income tax return? If so, I'm too late.

djhuff
03-24-2005, 03:51 PM
don't know if I had to, but I did, it was just easy.

bret
03-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Why worry about a tax like this, really. All your going to do is get hit on the backside later by your own state government somewhere else...sales tax, state income tax, property tax when they come up short elsewhere. Hopefully, any monies from this would be put back into the states Game and Fish treasury but you never know. States are in bad way almost all around with the exception being the few that allow gambling or have the lottery and even some of those are facing deficits. You could calculate it and take it off your IRS taxes at the end of the year and let the feds refund you instead of taking it out of your state; that would just add to "Georges" record deficit. You/we are on the better end of the economy with a Mastercraft and other toys and I like driving on really smooth roads.

Ric
03-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Why worry about a tax like this, really. All your going to do is get hit on the backside later by your own state government somewhere else...sales tax, state income tax, property tax when they come up short elsewhere. Hopefully, any monies from this would be put back into the states Game and Fish treasury but you never know. States are in bad way almost all around with the exception being the few that allow gambling or have the lottery and even some of those are facing deficits. You could calculate it and take it off your IRS taxes at the end of the year and let the feds refund you instead of taking it out of your state; that would just add to "Georges" record deficit. You/we are on the better end of the economy with a Mastercraft and other toys and I like driving on really smooth roads.
we should pay more taxes! Let's do it!

ktn_cmu
03-24-2005, 05:56 PM

My sentiments exactly... :headbang:

martini
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I have completed the forms for a refund here in Texas. It is a 2 step process where you report how many gallons were used for your boat. They send a letter back to you later, requesting receipts and information on how to file. You are allowed a very short turnaround, but I did it and got about 40 bucks back. I should have kept all of my receipts from last year, but I didn't find this nifty little loop hole until mid summer.

bret
03-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Ric, you own a home in TX? Just how much is your property tax, and the last I heard Houston and Harris County was way up there. Totally missed the point that the money, if not returned to the tax payer, all of $40, "Let's Party on that"... might just make into assiting with making things nicer for the boater - ramps, launches, paving a new section by the launch area for trailer parking etc...

Ric
03-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Ric, you own a home in TX? Just how much is your property tax, and the last I heard Houston and Harris County was way up there. Totally missed the point that the money, if not returned to the tax payer, all of $40, "Let's Party on that"... might just make into assiting with making things nicer for the boater - ramps, launches, paving a new section by the launch area for trailer parking etc...
Yes I own a home and yes we pay ridiculous property tax in TX but have on state income tax
Do I want to pay more? no
I dont think I missed your point and I dont think you missed mine either.

The principal involved here is extremely important.
TX legislature is playing with taxes this month & it's pretty scary.
No way for one second that you can convince me that my 40 or 400 or 4000 extra dollars, that I was nice enough to let the state keep (unearned), will be properly handled or spent in the spirit of the original tax. Anybody who's willing to go to the hassle of getting back their 40dollars from the state, should do it.
In principal only.
Even if you go buy a no wake buoy for the park ranger or a tank of gas for them or a case of corona OR go fill up the ski boat with it or whatever, I don't care. The principal is it's your money.

bret
03-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Fair enough and yes, none of us can depend on politicians to leave money somewhere when there's a surplus and do something positive with it WITHIN that arena.
Principal Noted :)