PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Sending Unit Help

coz
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
My fuel guage isn't working and sodarski told me what it might be and it looks like that's it. The bottom piece of plastic is warped as you can see, what's this called? I havn't pulled it yet. Anyone had the same prob? Will this cover fix it if I replace it? Thanks. :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/2220258599_a300939835.jpg

coz
01-26-2008, 01:42 PM
ok, I went over to the MC dealer (MCB of AZ) and they said this part wasn't available and that they replace the old units with the new sending units (small tube) and they couldn't sell me the new unit because of fuel related issues and I understand (needs new/different elec. connection for new unit). Do any of you dealers/TTers here have one or know where I can find one of these? Its' just a cover held by 2 screws that has a pin hole in it and also holds the float in, which is fine and moves freely (the float)
Appreciate any help.

rasmithaz
01-26-2008, 02:56 PM
talk to the boys at skidim-1-803-345-0996. Discount inboard marine.

mach 32v
01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
coz was your fuel gauge stuck on emty,i have a 98 ps 205 and my gauge reads emty all the time now. i assume mine has the same issue as yours. how hard and what steps did you take to get to the fuel sender unit.

THANKS PAUL

coz
01-26-2008, 06:49 PM
coz was your fuel gauge stuck on emty,i have a 98 ps 205 and my gauge reads emty all the time now. i assume mine has the same issue as yours. how hard and what steps did you take to get to the fuel sender unit.

THANKS PAUL

Yes it was/is stuck on E and it was a simple step to get to this point (hardest part might be finding the part), just pull your back cushion behind the back seat and you can see the unit through the center hole. I was told I needed to pull the back seat to do this but I was able to do it carefully without doing that. It's held down (the unit) with 5 screws just carefully remove them (DON'T DROP) and the unit pulls straight up and there is enough wire to maneuver it around. Check your float because mines fine just the bottom piece is messed up and I was told the floats are notoreous for sticking. Let me know what you find out good luck.:)

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Check back here a little later.....I have link to a source for the replacements on another computer. I'll post it here after I get home later tonight. If you are in bigger hurry, try a search on the forum.... the senders are a common problem and I know suppliers are listed on another thread(that is where I found the vendor I mention).

coz
01-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Check back here a little later.....I have link to a source for the replacements on another computer. I'll post it here after I get home later tonight. If you are in bigger hurry, try a search on the forum.... the senders are a common problem and I know suppliers are listed on another thread(that is where I found the vendor I mention).

Thanks LLS, any info would be greatly appreciated :D I'll check back later thanks again.
:D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
These two links should get you on track with a sender. The first link will get you a pretty close if not exact replacement for what you have. I think atlfooter got one from them and had good luck getting an exact match after a phone call to them.

http://www.isspro.com/products.php?cat=99

or

http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tank_level_sensors.htm

Good luck, keep us posted on how your search works out.

coz
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, the first link ISSPRO is stamped on the unit so this might be good? thanks LLS!

mach 32v
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
COZ how does the back cushion/sun pad come off??

coz
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
COZ how does the back cushion/sun pad come off??

From inside the boat lift up on the edge about 2" then pull towards yourself/front of the boat it's held in by 2 dowel like pins and 2 u hooks. I found a sender with similar #s and looks like it so I'll have to call to see if it will work or if they have a fix for the old.
The number on mine is 395021 the number on this one is RA9521
http://www.isspro.com/graphics/estore/large/RA9521-ISS.jpg
Good luck! :D

mach 32v
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
thanks for your help..

coz
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
thanks for your help..

Glad I could :D hope it came off ok. I sent an email to isspro so now I wait, I'm going to call them tomorrow too and if you need one I'll post the response I get from them. The website price is $70.

rasmithaz
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey cos-sent you a PM>

coz
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
thanks for your help..

Just talked with Don W. @ ISSPRO and he hooked me up with a new sending unit that should be here thursday/friday, thanks again LLS for the link it worked! :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Glad to help.... someone around here will usually be able to provide info needed to solve a problem. It is a great resource as well as a fun-filled site.8p

TMCNo1
01-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Glad to help.... someone around here will usually be able to provide info needed to solve a problem. It is a great resource as well as a fun-filled site.8p

Just like a trip to Chuck-E-Cheeze or the playground @ Mickey D's!!:rolleyes: :D

chevy08bud
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
You can also use the new senders from the MC dealers. They are right in the fact that there is a wiring issue (the polarity is backwards with how it plugs into the harness). The solution that worked for me was to get a 2-wire trailer harness and make my own adapter. You have to cut the wires in the middle of the harness and make it so that the male and female ends match up like they need to. I used watertight butt splices and then heat shrinked the connections just to make sure that everything was protected. Works like a charm. If you need more clarity on this, let me know.

coz
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
You can also use the new senders from the MC dealers. They are right in the fact that there is a wiring issue (the polarity is backwards with how it plugs into the harness). The solution that worked for me was to get a 2-wire trailer harness and make my own adapter. You have to cut the wires in the middle of the harness and make it so that the male and female ends match up like they need to. I used watertight butt splices and then heat shrinked the connections just to make sure that everything was protected. Works like a charm. If you need more clarity on this, let me know.

Brand new original sender from isspro that's plug and go ready is on it's way. I wouldn't get past the 2-wire trailer harness in what you suggested then I would problably have a flaming boat. :confused: My local MC dealer couldn't/wouldn't sell me the unit because of the issues with wiring, "they said" as they procceded to hand me the service advisors card to call on monday for an install quote. I'm glad they did that because I came right back here and got the link for the company that makes the original and it should be here shortly. Thanks anyway. :D
http://www.isspro.com/index.php
:D

mach 32v
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
COZ,Thanks For The Update I Will Call And Order One ..

coz
02-01-2008, 01:18 PM
OK, 7pm last night UPS shows up with the sending unit I ordered from isspro on monday, went out this morning and took about 5 minutes to plug in and screw down, mission accomplished, it works again. :D thanks again for all the tt'ers help. :cool:

Jaysonsmith
07-11-2010, 08:29 AM
So which model fromm ISS did you end up buying? I need exact same thing.

Skipper
08-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Alright, so now I have fallen victim to the fuel guage or fuel sending unit gremlin. Somebody help me out here, please. ('95 Prostar)

1. The guage reads empty all of the time.

2. When I cross a lead from the sending unit input wire to the power from the ignition, the guage pegs out below empty.

Does that mean the guage works properly but the sending unit is the problem?

The sending unit looks like the one on Coz's boat. I suppose a phone call to that company would help me get the correct sending unit for my application.

falconjeter
08-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I have the same unit as pictured in my 1994 maristar, the gage stopped working and when I pulled the sender out and took it apart I found the magnet had come off the float.( it is glued on), I reglued it with JB weld 2 years ago, it still works fine.

Jesus_Freak
08-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Alright, so now I have fallen victim to the fuel guage or fuel sending unit gremlin. Somebody help me out here, please. ('95 Prostar)

1. The guage reads empty all of the time.

2. When I cross a lead from the sending unit input wire to the power from the ignition, the guage pegs out below empty.

Does that mean the guage works properly but the sending unit is the problem?

The sending unit looks like the one on Coz's boat. I suppose a phone call to that company would help me get the correct sending unit for my application.

Hey Skippy. I had a similar problem with a similar boat and purchased item # 12705 from skidim. I cannot find it on their website at this moment, or I would send you a link. I calibrated the unit using the two [very sensitive] screws provided and then dripped a drop of paint on each screw to set them in place.

Skipper
08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Fuel sending unit it will be then. Thanks all.

supturb89
09-06-2010, 09:57 PM
My symptoms are a little different. The gauge seems to work fine about half the time, however the other half it will completely drop off to below empty. Does this sound like the sending unit?

Skipper
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I suspect the sending unit. I recently replaced the sending unit in my boat and I am fully mission capable again. The instructions directed me to wire the sending unit then hold it upside down and turn it right side up again while watching the guage to see if it would go from full to empty. That would be a way to test yours, once you pull it out.

supturb89
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I suspect the sending unit. I recently replaced the sending unit in my boat and I am fully mission capable again. The instructions directed me to wire the sending unit then hold it upside down and turn it right side up again while watching the guage to see if it would go from full to empty. That would be a way to test yours, once you pull it out.

Thanks Skipper...will try that tonight.

skieridaho
09-26-2010, 01:14 AM
I have the same unit as pictured in my 1994 maristar, the gage stopped working and when I pulled the sender out and took it apart I found the magnet had come off the float.( it is glued on), I reglued it with JB weld 2 years ago, it still works fine.

Falconjeter: I have the same problem. I found the magnet; but, I don't see how to attach it to the float. Any help would be appreciated.

Muttley
09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Falconjeter: I have the same problem. I found the magnet; but, I don't see how to attach it to the float. Any help would be appreciated.

There should be two magnets. They go into the groove down the middle of the float. Make sure you put them at opposite ends of the float with the poles repelling.

rlaing
08-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I am having the same issues. Can someone provide me with some guidance as to the exact location of the sending unit and the best way to get at it? I am away on holidays and am trying to decide whether I should tackle this issue while I am away or wait until later. How much work is it to replace (time?)

Thanks in advance for your help!