PDA

View Full Version : replace internal tank fuel pump?

rasmithaz
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
1999 205 LTR. I tried to do my monthly boat start up and the engine ran for a couple of minutes and it sounded like it ran out of fuel.I traced the fuel line back to the tank and the fuel pump cover says Carter 71-298S 40psi CGB 98-002. I'm thinking I should check for power to the pump first- If I have juice I'm going to pull the pump and look around. Any tips? does the fuel tank have to be moved forward? is there a fuel filter or a fuse or curcuit breaker I'm missing? Can I expect to pay more than $100 for the new fuel pump? Okay I'm kiddin around-maybe $200. Any advice on diagnosis and replacement would be appreciated.

Maristar210
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
1999 205 LTR. I tried to do my monthly boat start up and the engine ran for a couple of minutes and it sounded like it ran out of fuel.I traced the fuel line back to the tank and the fuel pump cover says Carter 71-298S 40psi CGB 98-002. I'm thinking I should check for power to the pump first- If I have juice I'm going to pull the pump and look around. Any tips? does the fuel tank have to be moved forward? is there a fuel filter or a fuse or curcuit breaker I'm missing? Can I expect to pay more than $100 for the new fuel pump? Okay I'm kiddin around-maybe $200. Any advice on diagnosis and replacement would be appreciated.

If the fuel pump is fried you can count on the GM version with some homework costing $380. The MC version will cost you $550 plus labor.
Blockages may exist. but it the boat is fuel starved, you are in trouble...

Good Luck

Monte
01-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Make sure to check the fuel filter first..

rasmithaz
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
The competitive and fair price is usually at Rambo Marine-$500 probably-those guys are a pleasure to deal with. I'm not afraid of homework..what do you mean GM version?

Tom023
01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Somebody once posted this:

If just replacing the actual pump, not the entire unit, an alternative to the $500 unit from Indmar is an AC Delco EP356 best part is it costs $139.91. You have to take the pump housing out of the tank than carefully pull the pump out. Take the rubber holder off the old one install the rubber holder on the new one reinstall it in the holder put it back in the tank. It pressures at 45# non regulated and when you hook the pressure regulator back up it holds it at 42# psi. My dealer advised against it but with the factory units backordered and the fact that its specs and dimensions are the same we figured that’s all MC does is get a pump to fit the Carter holder

rasmithaz
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Tom-thats good info. I went out and started the boat this morning and it ran just fine. I'm going to start the boat at least weekly to see if it starts acting up again and try to fix whatever it is before I'm dead on the water this spring. I hate problems like this.