PDA

View Full Version : Cocktail Talk With Tex!!!!!!!

tex
01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I know we had a summer drink thread years ago! Let's share some Cocktails! I will start off with my favorite....please share!!!!! See you at the dock!

An in-and-out martini is a very dry Bombay Sapphire gin martini prepared by pouring a small measure of vermouth into a shaker, shaking it to coat the ice, and then pouring out and disposing of any remaining vermouth. The standard amount of Bombay Sapphire gin is then shaken over this vermouth-tinged ice and served normally in a chilled martini glass! Thank You!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
god I wish I was an alcoholic.

h2oskifreak
01-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Tried it just now, all I can say Tex is....."Like Butta". Taken from "Coffee Talk"

tex
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Bloody Mary Martinis. Here is the recipe!
2+oz Vodka*
4oz Tomatoe juice/V8/BM Mix
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Good shake of Worst sauce
Put all this into a martini shaker with ice and shake the $%^# out of it. Strain into a chilled salted rim martini glass and garnish with whatever the #$%^ you want! Morning or night drink!
*Don't be shy about pouring it strong-It is a martini!

trickskier
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
god I wish I was an alcoholic.
HUH??? 8p

M-Funf
01-25-2008, 08:48 PM
An in-and-out martini is a very dry Bombay Sapphire gin martini prepared by pouring a small measure of vermouth into a shaker, shaking it to coat the ice, and then pouring out and disposing of any remaining vermouth. The standard amount of Bombay Sapphire gin is then shaken over this vermouth-tinged ice and served normally in a chilled martini glass! Thank You!

+1 less the vermouth :cool:

M-Funf
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's my favorite, and regular unless I'm out somewhere:

Negroni...

- 1 oz gin
- 1 oz Campari
- 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth

Combine all ingredients in an ice filled shaker. Shake until well chilled and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a burnt orange.

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
From Trudy's in Austin ...

Trudy's Mexican Martini
2 oz of 100% Blue Agave Tequila
1 oz Cointreau
1--2 oz Sprite
1 oz Orange Juice;
Juice of 1/2 Lime

Shake all ingredients and strain into glass rimmed with salt; add stuffed olives.

There are more complicated variations of the MXMartini, but this one sure tastes good.

Slinkyredfoot
01-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I know we had a summer drink thread years ago! Let's share some Cocktails! I will start off with my favorite....please share!!!!! See you at the dock!

Hey Tex, you are truly the Rembrant of mixology..we are heading to the liquor store right now with your suggestions in mind....you have such passion for your martini's....this could be bothersome......:D

bepresto
01-25-2008, 09:16 PM
"pouring out and disposing of any remaining vermouth"

you telling me that you actually waste good alcohol. I might have to call the authorities on this one.

brat
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Best Cocktail I Know...

1 glass
add Ice
Fill with BULLEIT Frontier Bourbon

Sip and Enjoy

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't do it often, but once at a wedding in Chicago, we poured many a Shandy. Fill glass with ice and a not too dark beer (I think we were pouring Harp). Fill the rest of the glass with lemonade. Sounds terrible, but not too bad.

brat
01-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't do it often, but once at a wedding in Chicago, we poured many a Shandy. Fill glass with ice and a not too dark beer (I think we were pouring Harp). Fill the rest of the glass with lemonade. Sounds terrible, but not too bad.

Why on earth would you ruin a good beer with lemonade ?:confused:

h2oskifreak
01-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I have a Margarita party at my place once a year and we call it "The Margarita Mix Off". Everyone brings their own idea of the best and it gets pretty wild. We give prizes and some of the concoctions get pretty interesting. A common part to some of the best ones is lime sherbert, the worst is chocolate. The best tequilla I have ever tasted is called "Membrio" the person who brought it says it runs around $30.00 an oz., I find that a little hard to believe. The stuff tastes like Ludens cough syrup and gave me a very interesting high, ulmost sobered me up and gave me a euphoric type buzz.

Maristar210
01-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Smirnoff Watermelon Vodka and Sugar Free Lemonade. 1 Carb per drink and it is a kick *** drink !!!!

h2oskifreak
01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
The flavored Vodkas really give a person options. I has changed a lot of my drinks for the better.

JohnE
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh boy. Just came back from dinner and had a couple of large Beefeater martini's. Tex, I know that you and a lot of others like the Saphire, but I love Beefeater. Everyone else I hang with drinks Tanqueray. I like the Tanq, but it's not my favorite.

As for flavored vodka, I've been hooked on Stoli Raz and Diet Coke for a couple years....And another stand by is regular vodka and diet coke.

But my trademark if you will is Jack and soda water. Sometimes without the soda..

For a fun cocktail I make the real Lynchburg (sp?) lemonades. Jack, Triplesec, Sour Mix, and Sprite (or ginger ale). Everyone including my sister-in-law (the prude) loves them. Not trying to take credit for them, just spreading the love.

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Why on earth would you ruin a good beer with lemonade ?:confused:

Those were my thoughts, too. But really, I'm not a huge fan of Harp (so not a good beer I worry about diluting). But in the end, it's just not half bad if it's hot enough outside.

Monte
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Open fridge..
Remove icy cold frothy beverage..
close fridge
Open drawer.
remove bottle decapping device..
pop the top
lay device down on counter
sip...

Enjoy

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Open fridge..
Remove icy cold frothy beverage..
close fridge
Open drawer.
remove bottle decapping device..
pop the top
lay device down on counter
sip...

Enjoy

That's kind of how I did it. Except.

1. Go to fridge, but don't open it.
2. Instead, pull handle on top of fridge.
3. Dispense beer into glass, adjusting handle at end for proper head.
4. Repeat.

Monte
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
That's kind of how I did it. Except.

1. Go to fridge, but don't open it.
2. Instead, pull handle on top of fridge.
3. Dispense beer into glass, adjusting handle at end for proper head.
4. Repeat.

I need a fridge like that.. Do it yourself??? or Kegerator??

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Mine is a summit kegerator that I got on ebay from a guy who had to sell it cheap because he had developed a bit of a drinking problem.

That said, I just did a sanyo conversion for my brother in law. Pretty easy to do. I also have a deep freeze with a Johnson Controls temp. regulator that I use to keep the bottles at around 38 degrees and for lagering when I make my own (although that hasn't happened in a while unfortunately.

Monte
01-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Fill me in on the sanyo conversion..

It's just so much easier to buy it.. Thats my opinion on the making it subject...

01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
You guys are talking about beer.

brat
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I've got a Beverage Air single keg unit, tryed the kegerator from Sam's a couple of years ago and it STANK. Look for a used single keg commercial unit, you won't be disappointed.

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
You guys are talking about beer.

What else is there to talk about on friday night UMP??:rolleyes: ;)

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
As long as you're not using full sized, i.e. 1/2 barrel kegs, the sanyo or GE 4.6 cubic foot fridge will work great for 1/4 and 1/6 barrels. Deep freezes are another alternative, but require temp regulators and strength to lift full sized kegs. Old refrigerators will also work with door shanks.

So with the sanyo, you but a tower kit from a place like beveragefactory.com.

Remove the plastic top from the fridge and either replace it or reinforce the center with 1/2" plywood.

On the top of the fridge, feel around for the coolant line as you don't want to drill through it. You can use a combination of vodka and cornstarch or just use your hand to feel the heat. The latter method worked fine for us. When you are sure you know where the coolant line is, Mark it on the side of the fridge and put the top (with reinforcement) back on.

Using a hole saw (2" I think), drill a hole in the top of the refrigerator. Then mount the tower. For larger kegs, you may have to remove the drink racks from the door. You can replace it with dry erase board. Use foil tape or duck tape to finish off the hole beneath the plastic cover.

For regular refrigerators and deep freezes, you'll drill the door, so you don't have to worry about coolant lines.

The cost of the tower kit is around $140. The sanyos and GE fridges will go on sale for around $100 from time to time. Or look for cheap refrigerators in your area on ebay. We got an extra for the garage for about $35 last year.

Also, spring for the extra $40 and get a shiron/ventmatic faucet. They don't stick and give you more control over the head.

brat
01-25-2008, 11:09 PM
That's right, it's not just for breakfast anymore !!!!

JohnE
01-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I gained 20 lbs in 6 months with a kegerator. I got it for free and gave it away. I prefer the cocktails (or sometimes straight booze) now.

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I've got a Beverage Air single keg unit, tryed the kegerator from Sam's a couple of years ago and it STANK. Look for a used single keg commercial unit, you won't be disappointed.

Which one did Sam's have? Was it a Haier? There's one that most people steer away from and I think that's the brand. A buddy of mine has one of the $500 Danbys with a double tower and has had good luck with it. The summit I have is rock solid and cools like crazy. It's not a commercial unit, but is not a homemade conversion.

brat
01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
As long as you're not using full sized, i.e. 1/2 barrel kegs, the sanyo or GE 4.6 cubic foot fridge will work great for 1/4 and 1/6 barrels. Deep freezes are another alternative, but require temp regulators and strength to lift full sized kegs. Old refrigerators will also work with door shanks.

So with the sanyo, you but a tower kit from a place like beveragefactory.com.

Remove the plastic top from the fridge and either replace it or reinforce the center with 1/2" plywood.

On the top of the fridge, feel around for the coolant line as you don't want to drill through it. You can use a combination of vodka and cornstarch or just use your hand to feel the heat. The latter method worked fine for us. When you are sure you know where the coolant line is, Mark it on the side of the fridge and put the top (with reinforcement) back on.

Using a hole saw (2" I think), drill a hole in the top of the refrigerator. Then mount the tower. For larger kegs, you may have to remove the drink racks from the door. You can replace it with dry erase board. Use foil tape or duck tape to finish off the hole beneath the plastic cover.

For regular refrigerators and deep freezes, you'll drill the door, so you don't have to worry about coolant lines.

The cost of the tower kit is around $140. The sanyos and GE fridges will go on sale for around $100 from time to time. Or look for cheap refrigerators in your area on ebay. We got an extra for the garage for about $35 last year.

Have you put a blower in for the tower ?

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I gained 20 lbs in 6 months with a kegerator. I got it for free and gave it away. I prefer the cocktails (or sometimes straight booze) now.

Yeah I ve moved to the hard stuff too....;)

I drink dark beer:D

brat
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Which one did Sam's have? Was it a Danby? There's one that most people steer away from. A buddy of mine has one of the $500 ones with a double tower and has had good luck with it. The summit I have is rock solid and cools like crazy. It's not a commercial unit, but is not a homemade conversion.

Yeah it was a Danby and it cost around $500. It was a POS, I read a bunch of forums on micromatic.com about how to fix it but just returned it and bought a real machine.

01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Beer .

brat
01-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Beer .

Did you ride the short bus to school ?

JohnE
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah I ve moved to the hard stuff too....;)

I drink dark beer:D

I'm not kidding about the kegerator. Every night was pitcher's (sp?) upon pitcher's. A lot of fun, even in moderation, we were killing them like crazy. Then I discovered Atkins:D Straight booze, no problems.;)

ShamrockIV
01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Crown and 7 with a lime!!!

you do have crown in NC right? or do i need to bring some in for CSM?

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not kidding about the kegerator. Every night was pitcher's (sp?) upon pitcher's. A lot of fun, even in moderation, we were killing them like crazy. Then I discovered Atkins:D Straight booze, no problems.;)

We don't hit it nearly that often. Been on the same keg of shiner for a while. We usually go with 1/6 barrels so I can actually finish one in its prime. Widmer will probably be our next.

east tx skier
01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah it was a Danby and it cost around $500. It was a POS, I read a bunch of forums on micromatic.com about how to fix it but just returned it and bought a real machine.

Maybe it's the Haier that's okay. Whichever one my friend got has been great for him. And he uses it a lot. Summits are extremely reliable and cool like nothing I've seen.

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Crown and 7 with a lime!!!

you do have crown in NC right? or do i need to bring some in for CSM?

Yes sir.. And.......... SUN DROP;)

brat
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I guess I'm about like JohnE, usually drink Amberbock in Half Kegs just me and the wife with an occasional guest. I usually swap kegs about every 5 weeks.

01-25-2008, 11:29 PM
cocktail talk with Tex.

JohnE
01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I guess I'm about like JohnE, usually drink Amberbock in Half Kegs just me and the wife with an occasional guest. I usually swap kegs about every 5 weeks.

You might be like I used to be. I only drink beer now on the boat mostly. Anywhere else, it is a cocktail.

brat
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
You might be like I used to be. I only drink beer now on the boat mostly. Anywhere else, it is a cocktail.

Speaking of beer on the boat, got to drinking the Miller Chills this summer on the water. If you haven't tried them you should.

fintek9
01-25-2008, 11:41 PM
you put it in front of me...I drink....as long as it's Jager!

01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
I thought you guys were talking about beer.........???

JohnE
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Speaking of beer on the boat, got to drinking the Miller Chills this summer on the water. If you haven't tried them you should.

I'll try anything. (within reason) Just as long as it is not Miller Lite.

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
We are talking about beer ump. Dark beer.. Kegerators... Sanyos..

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:45 PM
I'll try anything. (within reason) Just as long as it is not Miller Lite.

And what in the heck is wrong with miller lite???:rolleyes: :D

JohnE
01-25-2008, 11:48 PM
And what in the heck is wrong with miller lite???:rolleyes: :D

Nothing........As long as it is the end of a 12 hour bender and we are sitting by the campfire...........Other than that, you can keep it. Ask Mitch.;)

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Nothing........As long as it is the end of a 12 hour bender and we are sitting by the campfire...........Other than that, you can keep it. Ask Mitch.;)

Don't worry not much of a fan... Just wanted to know why:rolleyes:

01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
beer .

Monte
01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
beer .

Pretzels???

MarkP
01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
From Trudy's in Austin ...

Trudy's Mexican Martini
2 oz of 100% Blue Agave Tequila
1 oz Cointreau
1--2 oz Sprite
1 oz Orange Juice;
Juice of 1/2 Lime

Shake all ingredients and strain into glass rimmed with salt; add stuffed olives.

There are more complicated variations of the MXMartini, but this one sure tastes good.
Ok my friend
I didnít read the whole thread, so I donít know if anyone has called you on this, BUT
That sounds like nothing more than a ghetto Margarita.

JohnE
01-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't worry not much of a fan... Just wanted to know why:rolleyes:

Easy, I'll drink it if it is the ONLY choice. Other than that, I'll take anything else.

Monte
01-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Easy, I'll drink it if it is the ONLY choice. Other than that, I'll take anything else.

I heard apple pie;)

east tx skier
01-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Ok my friend
I didnít read the whole thread, so I donít know if anyone has called you on this, BUT
That sounds like nothing more than a ghetto Margarita.

I've seen people put oj and beer in margaritas, but that just isn't right.

JohnE
01-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I heard apple pie;)

Sounds good to me. What about that blackberry I heard about?