PDA

View Full Version : Tower Gasget Issues AGAIN!

BroncoBillys
01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
First of all I must say I love my 06 x star. That said, after attending the 08 Portland Ore. boat show I do have some thoughts. I have experienced a real problem with the tower gasgets on my 06 x star. I observed at the boat show that their is a new gasget system being used. At first I though "finally MC has resolved the problem. After inspected the gasgets on the new boats I found a familiar issue. The stren side of the front of the tower arms still seem as if the gasgets don't stay lined up correctly. This will certainly cause considerable vibration leading to many potential problems. MC needs to fugure out a way to secure the stern of the front tower arms. Take a look and let me know if anyone has made the same observation. Thanks BB

D-MAX-Star
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Was working on my 04 X-star tonight and mine is doing the same thing. I thought I could just loosen the bolts, move the gasket over and then retighten. Did you already do this once?

markfromtexas
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Yep, seems to be a problem with many of the mc's. Have you tried gluing the gaskets to the towerfeet?

russlars
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
The black gaskets on my MC tower seem to have slipped also. Mine are on the rear tower legs. The front ones have not moved. Has anyone loosened the bolts and repositioned their gaskets and had them stay in place, or will they just move out of position again?

Ole Miss Rebels
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
the worst location was the starboard bow tower leg. and yes, my gel coat did crack and had to be repaired. the gasket is shifting again now and the rear tower leg gaskets are shifting, too. not quite as badly but i forsee them failing sometime in the future.

markfromtexas
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I've played the repositioning gasket game. Not only is it a pain to do, it also looks like shiz and can lead to gelcoat damage like OMR said. I really like the new style of tower footings that are larger and seemingly apply the weight to a larger surface.

I'm currently looking to have Tops and Towers of Clearlake, a deep sea fishing boat tower manufacturer, fab up some footings, but have yet to come up with some 8wire connectors so that I can cut my speaker lines and get them out of the way.

russlars
03-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Okay, so I have decided to try and reposition my rear tower gaskets on my MC tower that are out of alignment. The question is: Does anyone know where you can get one of those giant sized allen wrenches that will fit the bolt head that holds the tower on? I've looked at several places and no one seems to have them that go that large. While we are on the subject, does anyone know what size wrench it takes? My tower is a MC 2003 model.

Andyg
03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
It is a 1/2 inch allen. I bought mine at my local Ace Hardware store. Some others have found them at Sears and their local auto parts stores.