PDA

View Full Version : Guns In Arizona Schools?

coz
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I know I live in the wild west here and you don't need a permit to strap a gun to your side and carry at all times (except into stores, banks, was schools, ect.) but I don't think this is a wise descision by these lawmakers. What? Instead of asking my kids if they have their lunch money before they leave for school I ask if their clips are full of bullets and do you have a back up? :confused: Could you imagine if it passes and there is a drive-by at a school and the next thing you know kids are pulling guns to protect themselves and bullets will fly in every direction. :( Yikes!

"click here for article"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22840646

uawaterskier
01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I know I live in the wild west here and you don't need a permit to strap a gun to your side and carry at all times (except into stores, banks, was schools, ect.) but I don't think this is a wise descision by these lawmakers. What? Instead of asking my kids if they have their lunch money before they leave for school I ask if their clips are full of bullets and do you have a back up? :confused: Could you imagine if it passes and there is a drive-by at a school and the next thing you know kids are pulling guns to protect themselves and bullets will fly in every direction. :( Yikes!

"click here for article"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22840646
I personally think its a great law. If you read the proposed law, it says you must get a liscense to carry a weapon. Most states is 21 with a few being 18. I see no problem in this. Trust me, if I could, I would carry on campus, there are too many crazies in the world.

tommcat
01-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm All For It

ShamrockIV
01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
never too many guns in the hands of responsible people!!!

dog paw
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
No need for a carry permit? I knew I liked Arizona....

Justin's got a point, if he was the second person that nutjob at Virginia Tech pointed at the whole nightmare might not have happened....(the first person prolly never even got a ***?? )
I see Virginia starting to circle the drain now with all the kneejerk stupid "need more laws" reaction

JBaker
01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I was at U of A during the shootings at the nursing/med school. Since the University didn't allow guns on campus, it took the NRA a matter of days to show up and begin speaking on and around campus. There are some serious anti-gun control residents in Arizona, especially when you get outside of Phoenix/Snobsdale.

coz
01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
There are some serious anti-gun control residents in Arizona, especially when you get outside of Phoenix/Snobsdale.

Yup! Here's an AZ family enjoying a day on the lake :D
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1366/1392602155_8563973eae.jpg
:D

uawaterskier
01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
No need for a carry permit? I knew I liked Arizona....

Justin's got a point, if he was the second person that nutjob at Virginia Tech pointed at the whole nightmare might not have happened....(the first person prolly never even got a ***?? )
I see Virginia starting to circle the drain now with all the kneejerk stupid "need more laws" reaction
no doubt with the ability to carry on campus, I feel like the VT thing wouldnt have happened. He might have shot a few students at most. It seems like the biggest problem at VT was the couldn't find where the guy was quick enough to catch him. With several armed students/staff. I think he wouldn't have much of chance to fire upon students before he was fired back at. I absolutely cannot wait until I turn 21 so I can get my permit. Guns are as dangerous as you make them, and with someone responsible behind the trigger, I think they can make a world of difference in situations like VT

Maristar210
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Must be winter... What a buncha crap

JBaker
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
no doubt with the ability to carry on campus, I feel like the VT thing wouldnt have happened. He might have shot a few students at most. It seems like the biggest problem at VT was the couldn't find where the guy was quick enough to catch him. With several armed students/staff. I think he wouldn't have much of chance to fire upon students before he was fired back at. I absolutely cannot wait until I turn 21 so I can get my permit. Guns are as dangerous as you make them, and with someone responsible behind the trigger, I think they can make a world of difference in situations like VT

I'll play along. Perhaps allowing carrying on campus would avoid catastrophes like VT. But how many less extreme acts of gun-related violence would be experienced in its place? The only correct answer is "we don't know."

Pointing out that the danger of guns increase as the responsibility of the man behind the trigger decreases is an excellent point. I would not rank most of the individuals I came across in college as collectively responsible.

JimN
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
If that school in VA had a security staff and system that had a clue, they could have caught him a lot faster. The people in the buildings where the shooting was happening knew where he was and it wouldn't be that hard to install panic buttons, like they have in banks, to indicate where the trouble is. That way, the phone system wouldn't be overloaded and security could respond with more certainty. With college students sometimes walking a fine line between normal and thinking that doing something like this is a good idea, the perceived stresses of out of town/state kids feeling lonely or depressed over something that probably wouldn't have bothered them for long if they hadn't gone on their rampage coupled with immaturity and the inability to grasp exactly what happens when someone is shot, I don't think on-campus carry is necessarily a good thing. Being nineteen or twenty and dumped by a girl is usually not the end of the world but when the kid doesn't know how to deal with things like that, it often becomes just that, for them and the others who end up on the wrong end of a gun.

They can't know what's going on in the mind of a student as it is and when more are carrying, I think it may cause some serious problems. For every kid who outwardly shows signs of an impending meltdown, there's probably ten others who are going through the same thing and don't show it.

TMCNo1
01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Most institutional building have fire alarm systems with sirens, notification for obvious reasons and that in a sense would bring help as would a panic alarm system.:twocents:

JimN
01-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm referring to a specific location, though. Also, a panic button could be used to activate security camera's pan/tilt top the relative location of the problem. Seeing everyone pancaked on the ground and one guy sprinting across the commons makes a pretty easy target.

Why, exactly, is it wrong to use "knock out gas"? Oh, I know- the gunman could fall and hit his head. Sorry. Wouldn't want that to happen.

sand2snow22
01-26-2008, 01:15 PM
A teacher here has a restraining order against her ex-husband and a concealed weapons permit. The school district said she couldn't carry her weapon on campus. She sued the school district for the right to carry a gun on campus, but lost.

Now all her husband needs to do is break into her car while she's at work. 8p

uawaterskier
01-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Look all I'm saying is if some crazy SOB is aimed at me, I'd like to have the legal ability to reach into front pocket and aim back. For me carrying on campus would be nothing more than protection. I wouldn't be actively seeking out the gun man, I would just like to have a weapon to get my arse out of the building.