PDA

View Full Version : 07 X-Star Tower Speaker Addition

CHaus21
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Question for the board...

If you buy an 07 X Star that comes with 2 stock JL tower speakers and would like to add 2 more for a total of 4 JL tower speakers....

Will you have to buy a new amp, or is the amp that comes with the MC X Star's have enough channels to power the whole boat???

Just curious whether the addition of 2 tower speakers means needing to upgrade to a larger amp as well...Or if MC installed a standard amp with enough juice to power all boat speakers if the tower is filled out with 2 more speakers...

Thanks!
ch

Ole Miss Rebels
01-25-2008, 12:05 AM
my opinion is if you are using just jl amps you need the six channel amp for the six cabin speakers. then you need the smaller, two channel amp for the sub. then you will need to add another large two or four channel amp for the four tower speakers. you may want to add another sub with enclosure in which case i would suggest another of the small jl amps. you obviously don't have to use jl but you will need at least three amps to get it right and another amp if you add another sub. that's my simplified opinion. make sure you have a seperate, fused 8 guage power line from the battery for each amp. lots of folks here are far more knowledgeable than i am and can get very specific on this topic. it can get overwhelming if you let it. good luck and let us know how you come out.

Jerseydave
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
My X-star has 2 amps (one 2 channel and one 6 channel), not sure how they're wired but they power everything just fine. (I have 6 cabin speakers, 4 tower speakers and one sub, all factory JL)

Jim N would be able to help you, maybe he'll chime in.

X-Aggie
01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Horridly under powered stock. IMHO they have good intent with the inclusion of JL products, but my next one will likely come minus amps and sub. My 2 cents, and if I elaborated men in black jackets would be knocking on my office door.

CHaus21
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I guess my main question is - If a boat comes from the factory with only 2 tower speakers, what amp comes with it? Is it a 6 channel?

If so, then I could just do the same thing that NJ has and add the 2 speakers instead of having to get a separate amp.

Anyone with 2 tower speakers from the factory - What amp came from the factory?

Thanks

tr6coug
01-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Anyone with 2 tower speakers from the factory - What amp came from the factory?

Thanks

My '07 X2 came factory equipped with 4 sets of interior JL Speakers, a JL Sub, and two towers and one 6-channel JL amp. Don't remember exactly how its wired though.

JBaker
01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Question for the board...

If you buy an 07 X Star that comes with 2 stock JL tower speakers and would like to add 2 more for a total of 4 JL tower speakers....

Will you have to buy a new amp, or is the amp that comes with the MC X Star's have enough channels to power the whole boat???

Just curious whether the addition of 2 tower speakers means needing to upgrade to a larger amp as well...Or if MC installed a standard amp with enough juice to power all boat speakers if the tower is filled out with 2 more speakers...

Thanks!
ch

CH, right now I believe you have a 6-channel amp powering four cockpit speakers and your sub and then a 4-channel amp powering your bow speakers and the two tower speakers. This means that you can connect an extra pair of tower speakers to your 4-channel amp (or 6-channel but if you are going to run a pair of speakers in parallel, they should be in the same listening zone, i.e. both in the cockpit or both in the tower.) You could also add an amp. If you don't add an amp, you will have to begin running a portion of your system at 2 ohms (not the end of the world.) PM me if you want. I'd be happy to help.:D

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
If the boat came with the 6ch. & 2ch. amp you can do it with no problem. Use the 2ch. amp for the sub briged mono and run the tower speakers (all 4) on two of the 6ch. outputs. The tower comes factory wired for parallel (2 ohm) use. Wires for the additional speakers are in the tower, all you should have to do is connect the speakers at the tower and you are done. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-26-2008, 11:16 AM
If the boat came with the 6ch. & 2ch. amp you can do it with no problem. Use the 2ch. amp for the sub briged mono and run the tower speakers (all 4) on two of the 6ch. outputs. The tower comes factory wired for parallel (2 ohm) use. Wires for the additional speakers are in the tower, all you should have to do is connect the speakers at the tower and you are done. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

does this mean that you would run the remaining six (6) cabin speakers on the two remaining channels on the big amp? each channel only puts out 45 watts, doesn't it? that seems grossly underpowered to me. my 05 xstar came with the large and small amp. those two amps were pushing four (4) tower speakers, six cabin speakers and the sub. after about 2-3 minutes at high volume the amps would overheat and shut down. i never fully understood why but i added another amp dedicated to the tower speakers along with larger supply wires for all of the amps from the battery and i never had another problem with the amps going into thermal shutdown. gthstatecollege.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-26-2008, 11:21 AM
oops, i see what you are doing now. the 6 cabin speaker will have four remaining channels to draw from. that still seems like it will underpower the tower speakers, however. they can take 150 watts apiece, correct? i am putting between 75-100 watts to each speaker now and i think they could handle more.

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Yep, the JL speakers can handle more power than the factory JL amps put out (unless you start bridging channels together). I'm assuming CHaus21 didn't want to add any more amps just speakers. To accomplish that I would put the tower speakers on ch 5 & 6 wired in parallel @ 2 ohms, bow speakers on ch 3 & 4 @ 4 ohms, and the main interior speakers ( 2 pair) wired in series on the port & starboard @ 8 ohms going to ch 1 & 2. The other 2ch JL amp would be bridged mono going to the sub. Just one way of doing it, there are other combos that can be done. Big thing to remember is if you bridge two channels together going below 4 ohms is a big no no.

CHaus21
01-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Yep, the JL speakers can handle more power than the factory JL amps put out (unless you start bridging channels together). I'm assuming CHaus21 didn't want to add any more amps just speakers. To accomplish that I would put the tower speakers on ch 5 & 6 wired in parallel @ 2 ohms, bow speakers on ch 3 & 4 @ 4 ohms, and the main interior speakers ( 2 pair) wired in series on the port & starboard @ 8 ohms going to ch 1 & 2. The other 2ch JL amp would be bridged mono going to the sub. Just one way of doing it, there are other combos that can be done. Big thing to remember is if you bridge two channels together going below 4 ohms is a big no no.

Eagle,
That is exactly what I was looking to do. My intent of the original post was to see if anyone got their boat from the factory wired the way that you just mentioned above.

I would like to simply add two tower speakers without going through the hassle of adding another amp, etc. I would feel much more comfortable about doing it if people have rec'd their x stars from the factory just the way you described.

ch

JBaker
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
:noface: This is not correct. Don't run your cockpit at 8 ohms! That is a ton of resistance and will eat up a ton of power. Plus it will be grossly out of sink with the bow unless you do significant gain corrections.

This is much simpler than this thread is making it seem. If you want to do this the easy way, just parallel your new tower pair of the channels that are already powering your existing tower pair. Simple as that. Then you will probably need to do some gain adjustments on those channels alone.

All this chatter about bridging and under-powering could be and has been a discussion on its own; its not necessary here if all he is trying to do is add a pair of matching tower speakers.

CHaus21
01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I guess that was my question - Can I just plug in tower speakers to the existing wires and go? I'd like to keep it simple :)

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-27-2008, 12:12 PM
CH back to the original tower speaker question, just like JB said you should be able to just add them and make NO wiring changes at the amp. To double check, lift one ch of you tower wiring and take a ohm reading -it should be 2 ohms. Check the other ch, it should read the same. To answer JB's 8 ohm problem, that was an example of what could be done to solve amp overheat problems. Adjusting gain just takes the turn of a screwdriver and you are done. Running an amp @ 8 ohms will let it run cooler than at 4 ohms and yes power out is reduced. CH has ten speakers plus a sub to run on 7 channels so the 6ch JL will have 4 of its ch at 2 ohms an 2 of its ch at 4 ohms so gain adjustments will have to be made. Wow, an easy question asked with a easy answer but got way off track along the way.

CHaus21
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the input guys

ridesdirt
01-29-2008, 10:09 AM
I think you have your question answered.

But if it would help you. I have an '07 X-Star with 4 tower speakers. I can verify which amps and how they are wired. It will be this weekend before I could get any info.

ntvitale86
03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Does everyone that has 4 tower speakers on their 07 X-Star have to fade to the rear spekaers in order to turn on the tower speakers? This is how mine is set up and it annoys me. I want to be able to switch on the tower speakers when i want rather than fade between front and back. Any solution for this issue?

ridesdirt
03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I believe mine fades from the cabin to the tower.

There are a lot of people on here more qualified than me, so hopefully one of them will chime in and tell you how wire it up.

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
sorry double post... one w/ a misspelled word

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.wakeside.com/product/155953.do?code=GOOGLEBASE&CAWELAID=152139074
that could be one solution... i have four JLs on my tower and i keep the fade in the middle when riding and whatever and i just fade to the front if i want the tower speakers off... i'm not sure how that westsounds thing works on my amp set-up... i'm getting my boat back tomorrow and i'm going to investigate possibilities

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 03:42 PM
basically from my understanding if your sub, tower, and boat are all on seperate amps it will work perfectly... i'm not too sure how mine is set up but it's pretty cool to have the talkback feature

marty5
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Actually, I just went through this last weekend! Here is what my '07X-Star has: 2 amps, a JL6450 and the JL4300, with 4 tower speakers + 6 in the boat & 10" sub. I am no expert, but I cranked the thing up with some music from my IPOD and it sound pretty damn good, I was impressed...all factory stuff. The bass was sweet compared to any other boat I've been on...of course I'll have the bug to upgrade for more power after this summer I'm sure, that is just how these things work!

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
JL Audio in the MCs have all other desimated!!! my MC has the best sound (and it's from the facotry) all my owner friends agree... whatever the factory setup is... the way to power that crap for the best balanced sound... i don't want my x2 to sound like a '88 caprice on 28"s either

tr6coug
03-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Actually, I just went through this last weekend! Here is what my '07X-Star has: 2 amps, a JL6450 and the JL4300, with 4 tower speakers + 6 in the boat & 10" sub. I am no expert, but I cranked the thing up with some music from my IPOD and it sound pretty damn good, I was impressed...all factory stuff. The bass was sweet compared to any other boat I've been on...of course I'll have the bug to upgrade for more power after this summer I'm sure, that is just how these things work!

What speakers are on what amps?

I'm adding two more tower speakers and I'm thinking of running those 4 on a Rockford Fosgate 2ch and then running the rest of the boat (4 component pairs and sub) through the JL6450.

marty5
03-21-2008, 09:01 AM
On mine the 6450 runs everything not on the tower...the 4300 runs the 4 tower speakers. If there is a better set-up for not alot of extra $, I would be interested to hear about it.