PDA

View Full Version : The Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

T Scott
01-24-2008, 07:54 PM
The Spoiled Under 30 Crowd

If you are 30 or older, you will think this is hilarious.... If not, send it to your parents. They'll think it's funny.

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning .... Uphill BOTH ways .. Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in heck I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it.

But now that...

I'm over (ahem...waaaaay over) the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy. I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a dang Utopia. And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it.

1. When I was a kid, we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the dang library and look it up ourselves... In the card catalog.. (Do you even know what a card catalog is? Didn't think so.)

2. There was no email.. We had to actually write somebody a letter... With a pen. Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there.

3. There were no MP3's or Napsters. If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the dang record store and shoplift it yourself. Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and mess it all up.

4. We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting. If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it.

5. And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either. When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was. It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know... You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister.

6. We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics. If we were lucky, we had Video Pong and later on the Atari 2600. With games like "Space Invaders" and "asteroids" and the graphics were horrible. Your guy was a little square. You actually had to use your imagination. And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever. And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died. Just like LIFE.

7. When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating. All the seats were the same height. If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed.

8. Some of us had no cable...only 3 stations (maybe) that you had to go outside and turn the antennae to be able pick up. Later on, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu. You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on.

And there was no Cartoon Network either. You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying.?. We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons.

9. And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove or go build a fire ... Imagine that. If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid JiffyPop thing or a pan with HOT oil and Real popcorn kernels and shake it all over the stove forever like an idiot.

10. When we were on the phone with our friends and our parents walked-in, we were stuck to the wall with a cord, a 7 foot cord that ran to the phone - not the phone base, the actual phone. We barely had enough length to sit on the floor and still be able to twirl the phone cord in our fingers. If you suddenly had to go to the bathroom - guess what we had to do..... Hang up and talk to them later.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled..

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1960 or 1970 or 1980.

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Somehow I missed the part about rotary dial phones...;) Yup, I still know where there is one that's working...:D

Monte
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
My dad wouldn't even buy me the jiffy pop.. We had to use a pot with oil in it.. Darn how I wanted the Jiffy pop...

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I remember the popcorn machines that used only hot air. They also had a little compartment for the butter to melt in. That was state of the art. You were cool if ya had a Walkaman. Yea they are spoiled. Cheers to you T Scott!!

Doug G
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
My dad wouldn't even buy me the jiffy pop.. We had to use a pot with oil in it.. Darn how I wanted the Jiffy pop...

That may explain the mullet.. neglected childhood and all

JohnE
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Funny stuff. Especially the rotary phone WFT.

Monte
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
That may explain the mullet.. neglected childhood and all

LOL I also have fond memories of steel playground equipment with no bumper pads. Our city park actually had a retired fighter jet sans engines to climb on and play in..

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
That was great had me rolling on the floor.

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
And We Never Wore Helmets While Riding Our Bikes!!!

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 08:36 PM
BTW I still have an rotary phone just in case the power goes out.

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
And We Never Wore Helmets While Riding Our Bikes!!!

Maybe Monte did..................but he rode the short bus anyway:rolleyes: 8p :D

Monte
01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Ever ride on the back dash of the family sedan to take a nap on long trips?

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
No, got to sit on the center console of my pa's 79 K5 and shift gears for him. We also would ride in the bed of his 75 pickup that had a camper shell on it.

Anyone of this age wonder what has changed? Why is it so different now? What the hhelll happened?

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I think we're probably the reason! I begged to go outside.. My son begs to go in...:confused:

BTW I still have The original two joystick designated console PONG game:cool: For some reason it bores the kids..:rolleyes:

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I wonder what an Atari 2600 goes for these days? Imagine if you had one unopened in the box. I used to love the tank games, Defender, and Pitfall. Could never get the hang of Coleco Vision though. By the way you had me rolling on the One Word thread! Still laughing

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I wonder what an Atari 2600 goes for these days? Imagine if you had one unopened in the box. I used to love the tank games, Defender, and Pitfall. Could never get the hang of Coleco Vision though.

Still got an atari too.. It is far from in the box condition.. I think it still works:rolleyes: I bought it off a buddy for 50 bucks for it and all the games 25 or so.. Back in 1986:o

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I bet it is worth triple that if it works!

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I guess I could consider that a good return.. Actually the guy that sold it to me is still one of my good friends. I showed it to him the other night when he, his wife, and kids were over. He even offered to buy it back for 50.. I sad nah..

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
How bout a pinball machine w/ "reels" instead of didital scoring. They were the best. You could feel the machine working and if you were good you could get a replay on 5 balls at 10,000, not 3 balls at 400,000. And BTW I do have an original Atari (works) and my son who has PS3, Wii and XBOX does actually play it w/ me every week or two. Asteroids is his favorite and mine too because he is there w/ me. Good stuff.

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
May have to get her out and dust her off.. The darn thing even made it through college..
Ahhgh I can't belive the pinball was not mentioned.. Good call..

JohnE
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
No, got to sit on the center console of my pa's 79 K5 and shift gears for him. We also would ride in the bed of his 75 pickup that had a camper shell on it.

Anyone of this age wonder what has changed? Why is it so different now? What the hhelll happened?

We laugh about my father driving half the little league team home in the back of the '69 International pickup open bed in the early '80's. And then me driving him home from the last stop.

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Here is one! What happenned to Big Wheels. I used to ride those things so much I would split the fron tire in half. BRING THE BIG WHEEL BACK

Lennyp04
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
yeah I'm looking at a rotary phone right now... And yes I know how to use it.

All I gotta say is you guys over 30 musta had it hard when you were my age

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Here is one! What happenned to Big Wheels. I used to ride those things so much I would split the fron tire in half. BRING THE BIG WHEEL BACK

HA HA!:D I used to go stay at my grandmothers every Saturday.. My sister and I would ride them all afternoon.. She lived a couple hundred feet from a major highway.. My sister had a Green Machine.. I had the bigwheel with the "powerslide bar":cool:

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I went through three big wheels. I always had trouble w/ a flat spot in the front wheel from sliding it. Later they came out w/ a rear break to help w/ powersliding. What a sweet ride. Banana seats and slick rear tires on your schwinns???

milkmania
01-24-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm old enough to remember when Saturday Night Live was cool
and remember there were 2 cereals..... sweet & unsweet

thought these would fit here

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
or the orange flag on your bike, or the Evel Kneivel twist grip. What about playing cops and robbers with cap guns. We used to use BB guns actually.

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM

They still exist, got the grandbaby one for Xmas! A new company is making the original and can be bought at Target.
http://www.target.com/gp/search/601-8820783-3736104?field-keywords=big%20wheel&afid=google&CPNG=Target&LNM=big_wheel&LID=6396158&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0577

milkmania
01-24-2008, 09:49 PM

Big Wheels were phased out

replaced by mega super nintendos, xboxes, playstations, gameboys.......

damaged442
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Still got an atari too.. It is far from in the box condition.. I think it still works:rolleyes: I bought it off a buddy for 50 bucks for it and all the games 25 or so.. Back in 1986:o

I held out and picked up the Atari 5200. The graphics were just a bit better. Plugged it in after reading this thread...IT STILL WORKS!! OH MAN!! This has not been plugged in since 1988! Centipede, here I come!! :D

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Monte]I think we're probably the reason! I begged to go outside.. My son begs to go in...:confused:

We had a dinner bell. I wasn't allowed in the house until the bell rang. I had a green schwinn with the banana seat. Sorry Monte, no mullet.
Also had too many big wheel front tires to count. My 3 year old has trike that is similar to a big wheel and she loves to ride it.

Monte
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
or the orange flag on your bike, or the Evel Kneivel twist grip. What about playing cops and robbers with cap guns. We used to use BB guns actually.

BB gun wars..:D I think I STILL have a BB in the back of my leg:rolleyes:

Never had to pimp the orange flag :rolleyes:

Hey at least the Dukes of hazzard came on every friday night;)

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
We played army with the single shot BB gun. If you had a pump, you could only pump it twice.

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone sport a "rat tail" intead of a mullet?

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
What about high dives at swimming pools? Most pools around here don't even have diving boards.

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Drive In movies!

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Drive In movies!
Still have an active drive in here in GBury.

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
OHH OHH OHHH, Parchute pants, french cuffed with high tops and wayfarers!! Mom never bought me those pants (I thank her dearly now).

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Still have an active drive in here in GBury.

Still got the Sunset here... The stories I could tell about THAT place;):D

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:02 PM
OHH OHH OHHH, Parchute pants, french cuffed with high tops and wayfarers!! Mom never bought me those pants (I thank her dearly now).

I bet she said they'd cut the leather on the couch:rolleyes: :confused: ;)

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
True M80's and Cherry Bombs. Kids these days have NO idea what a firecracker really is or can do.

damaged442
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM

No, but I rokked the mullet like nobody's bidness!!!

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Here:o .....

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Monte only u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't say I had a rat tail or a mullet just a flat top

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Comb over here we come

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Monte only u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't say I had a rat tail or a mullet just a flat top

Purdy boy :) :D

T Scott
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM

learjet,
My favorite was the green machine. I used to feel so cool haulling a$$ down my driveway and doing a spinout.

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
What can I say I didn't have a 1972 Monte to ride around in High School. My 69 Bug wouldn't fit in with the Mullet crowd!!!!!!

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
also, what about the tonka toys made out of steel? The last ones I looked at were mostly plastic.

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:12 PM
The green machine was for "gangsta" kids. Just kiddin, it was cooler than the big wheel.

88 PS190
01-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Make this sound like a 30+ experience.

heck my brother and i shot each other with red ryders and old crosmans.

had a rotary phone in the house till I was atleast 14

still don't have cable.

Was allowed 1 hour of tv a day as a kid.

Its only since moving out of the house that I've had access to all this stuff you guys "didn't"

Think of it this way.

I cannot hunt on railroad track clearings.
I cannot discharge any firearms within 20 miles of the house.
If I had a go cart or minibike I would have been arrested for operating it.
Our parents expected our friends to pick up calls on their cell phones if they were looking for us - therefore we were in trouble for being late, even before we got home.
Wireless phones and cell phones are reasons for women to keep us on phones, you could say oops parents are expecting a call I think that is convenient wish it was still viable.

When you really get down to it, the youth of this generation are blamed for being lazy, for playing too many video games, watching too much tv.

But when you examine it further, everything you guys got to do then is stuff we have to run from the cops for doing now.

You shoot each other with your BB guns, we try the same and have to swim a creek and jump fences to avoid the cops.

Where kids are getting fat now playing video games, well how many of you guys stayed in shape when you were younger because your games were more interesting?

Ever buy black gunpowder from the local hardware store and blow stuff up?

We didn't, we would have needed to show several forms of ID.

Heck in IL you need a FOID card to buy a decent pellet gun.

HA.

Above 30's you had it good when you were in highschool, before the days of video surveilance at every stop light, before every town had a fleet of cops with nothing better to do than bust kids for biking through a four way stop.

And when you could get away with playing with your BB guns with out getting half the cops in town around.

And by the time your kids are 15, they will have their airsoft guns confiscated because they painted over the orange tip, you will be able to GPS them from the internet because you bought their cell phones. Their cars will have lowjack so you can shut em down. You will be able to check their expenditure by logging into their bank accounts webpages.

Expect kids to have fun? How about let em lose with fireworks, BB guns, Motorized vehicles, little parental interferance and give em places to use it with out being arrested. Bet you they will be in better shape, have worse hearing, maybe a BB or few in their leg (I have a few good scars anyway).

And quit it with these stories, I wish I had that level of freedom growing up!

got to ride around in a '55 chevy 3100 with rust holes and a shifter that pulled out of the floor for a good portion of my childhood (its named clarence lol)

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Knox, I also had a 72 Monte Carlo w/ cragar rims. I used to turn over the air cleaner top and that ride was bad.

T Scott
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
also, what about the tonka toys made out of steel? The last ones I looked at were mostly plastic.

I have about 5 of those. My mom was wise enough to put those in a box in the attic when I had outgrown them. When my son turned two, she wrapped the box and gave them to him as a birthday present. I must admit, I got a bit emotional when he opened them as i had no idea she had saved them. I hadn't seen them in 30 years! I get a real kick out of watching my son play with them in the sand. I had some great memories with them!

milkmania
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I had a green schwinn with the banana seat.
the Green Pea Springer????

I had one:cool:

green metalflake banana seat too:banana:

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I have the original G.I. Joe with his footlocker, scuba set up and lots more. Someone told me it's woth 5 bills.

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM

We used to put bricks inside of those things and have demolition derbys.. Darn! I wish I hadn't done that:( Days of fun though:rolleyes:

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Real sleds and OMG, tobogans. Bikes with spikes on the pedals made of steel, that would rip into your shins. My shins are still "jagged" to this day. Bikes with no brakes. And the whole skateboarding era. Tony Hawk, Lance Mountain, Christian Hasoi, Powell & Peralta, Animal Chin,.....That's Incredible, Batman (the real one), Plasticman, Flash Gordon, Six Million Dollar Man, Star Wars, Airplane, Johnny Carson, Animal House, Porky's, Revenge of the Nerds, Rubik's Cube, Stretch Armstrong, TRS 80's, Apple IIe's, Challenger explosion (God bless em), etc.... Those were the days!!!!

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Stretch Armstrong, now that toy was dangerous. I love the jagged pedal. Now that I have a kid I appreciate saftey, but it sure ruined some good fun.

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Aggh..... I watched a buddy get caught in the pedal one time... Dayum 3inches long.. 1/2 inch wide CHUNK!! when he ran back up the hill I could see the muscles moving.. No Blood YET!!

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
The first computer I had was a commodore 64 that hooked up to a black and white TV.

Doug G
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
See now you had to go put reality into and spoil all our fun ...

2 days ago my son is at a friends house. I get a call from his crew busting on me about my yearbook picture ... turns out I went to school with the friends dad.. we have the expected small world conversation, followed by man were getting old, followed by how much easier we had it at their age.

No back on track .. The big wheel was the best !

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Make this sound like a 30+ experience.

heck my brother and i shot each other with red ryders and old crosmans.

had a rotary phone in the house till I was atleast 14

still don't have cable.

Was allowed 1 hour of tv a day as a kid.

Its only since moving out of the house that I've had access to all this stuff you guys "didn't"

Think of it this way.

I cannot hunt on railroad track clearings.
I cannot discharge any firearms within 20 miles of the house.
If I had a go cart or minibike I would have been arrested for operating it.
Our parents expected our friends to pick up calls on their cell phones if they were looking for us - therefore we were in trouble for being late, even before we got home.
Wireless phones and cell phones are reasons for women to keep us on phones, you could say oops parents are expecting a call I think that is convenient wish it was still viable.

When you really get down to it, the youth of this generation are blamed for being lazy, for playing too many video games, watching too much tv.

But when you examine it further, everything you guys got to do then is stuff we have to run from the cops for doing now.

You shoot each other with your BB guns, we try the same and have to swim a creek and jump fences to avoid the cops.

Where kids are getting fat now playing video games, well how many of you guys stayed in shape when you were younger because your games were more interesting?

Ever buy black gunpowder from the local hardware store and blow stuff up?

We didn't, we would have needed to show several forms of ID.

Heck in IL you need a FOID card to buy a decent pellet gun.

HA.

Above 30's you had it good when you were in highschool, before the days of video surveilance at every stop light, before every town had a fleet of cops with nothing better to do than bust kids for biking through a four way stop.

And when you could get away with playing with your BB guns with out getting half the cops in town around.

And by the time your kids are 15, they will have their airsoft guns confiscated because they painted over the orange tip, you will be able to GPS them from the internet because you bought their cell phones. Their cars will have lowjack so you can shut em down. You will be able to check their expenditure by logging into their bank accounts webpages.

Expect kids to have fun? How about let em lose with fireworks, BB guns, Motorized vehicles, little parental interferance and give em places to use it with out being arrested. Bet you they will be in better shape, have worse hearing, maybe a BB or few in their leg (I have a few good scars anyway).

And quit it with these stories, I wish I had that level of freedom growing up!

got to ride around in a '55 chevy 3100 with rust holes and a shifter that pulled out of the floor for a good portion of my childhood (its named clarence lol)
Hey man, this is a reflection on the 30 something generation. We created it, now let us relive it! Please!

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Remember Cards in your bike spokes..... made it sound like a motorcycle

TX.X-30 fan
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Had a schwinn banana peeler!! my dad rocked back then!!

T Scott
01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
No back on track .. The big wheel was the best !

I'll race you on my Green Machine! That thing did wicked spinouts!

lanier92prostar

Yours was high style with the gears and brakes. I am jealous.

learjet2230

OMG, you were considered RICH back then!! My dad would of bought that for me 6 years later at your garage sale for $2. But I still love em.

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Knox, I also had a 72 Monte Carlo w/ cragar rims. I used to turn over the air cleaner top and that ride was bad.
Still got mine:D

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Monte I must say that is a sweet ride.

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Monte I must say that is a sweet ride.

Thanks! Gave $800 for it in.... oh 1989? Wouldn't dare sell it:D

KnoxX2
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I got 0.80cents right now and a wakeboard screw.

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Nice looking weekend car Monte!!

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Mine was silver w/ a black vinyl top. It had power windows and was a chic slayer. My cragars were after market and the investment was huge for me at the time. Nice, M.C, and I don't mean Mastercraft for a change. I sold mine to get a Porshe 924, I was expensive and just not as popular with the gals.

Doug G
01-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I'll race you on my Green Machine! That thing did wicked spinouts!

I had the hand brake on my last one ... I was the spin out king until I launched it down a hill onto a highway

Leroy
01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
That is great TScott!

We played Monopoly every Friday and Saturday night that we did not go fishing! Are there any kids that still fish?

Monte
01-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Mine WAS doo doo brown with a dirty amrpit white vinyl top.. When I bought it dad was impressed with the accomplishment and got happy with the funds (which made me happy) We worked on it got it painted had the upholstry redone.. pretty much the works.. That was 19 years ago. Darn!! time flies

Monte
01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
What about getting that first VCR... ur I mean beta....

h2oskifreak
01-24-2008, 11:15 PM
And video cameras that looked like you were w/ the local t.v. station they were that large.

Monte
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
And video cameras that looked like you were w/ the local t.v. station they were that large.

Yeah.. Dad never got used to the concept of the video camera.. He had one, but it was always a still shot:confused: :D performance with the entire coaching battle for the perfect picture on tape...:D

T Scott
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Izod shirts with the collar up! Damn I ws cool!:cool:

Monte
01-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Izod shirts with the collar up! Damn I ws cool!:cool:
MEMBERS ONLY JACKETS:cool:

Leroy
01-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Dockside shoes and Duckhead khakies!

H20skeefreek
01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Hate to tell you this, but last year they re-released the console, preloaded with 40+ games for 25 bucks.

Monte
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Hate to tell you this, but last year they re-released the console, preloaded with 40+ games for 25 bucks.

Yeah I got that for Christmas.. Thus the reason for the lack of interest in the original... It's all in one frickin joystick though.. Every Game:rolleyes: :confused: :D

H20skeefreek
01-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah I got that for Christmas.. Thus the reason for the lack of interest in the original... It's all in one frickin joystick though.. Every Game:rolleyes: :confused: :D

Not mine!8p

Monte
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Not mine!8p

That is the advanced version compared to what I have:confused: It has joysticks that look like that, but it is MUCH bigger:rolleyes:

cbryan70
01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
man you guys are saying over 30? im 23 and i did half that stuff. its the kids in there teens now that are the bums. I rode the bike without a helmet, had the every week fight at the park, paintballed in a forest in my buddies back yard, built a bike course on a unsold peice of property, put more holes in my legs then i can remember from pegs and medal pedals, never wore a helmet...heck i can remember my mom saying how cool it was that i could launch 5 sidewalk squars off a ramp. My mom used to kick me out of the house if i tried to stay in, screamed for dinner time, played with "real" fire works, actually had an imagination, almost burned my hosue down with wd40. when i look at the young kids in my neighborhood now they all wear helmets they are out maybe a few hours a day and would rather watch a baseball game on tv then go swimming or play in the pool. i actually heard a mom YELLING at a kid to NOT go play on a huge dirt hill last summer... sorry this makes no sense and is random thoughts but you get the point

milkmania
01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
man you guys are saying over 30? im 23 and i did half that stuff. its the kids in there teens now that are the bums. I rode the bike without a helmet, had the every week fight at the park, paintballed in a forest in my buddies back yard, built a bike course on a unsold peice of property, put more holes in my legs then i can remember from pegs and medal pedals, never wore a helmet...heck i can remember my mom saying how cool it was that i could launch 5 sidewalk squars off a ramp. My mom used to kick me out of the house if i tried to stay in, screamed for dinner time, played with "real" fire works, actually had an imagination, almost burned my hosue down with wd40. when i look at the young kids in my neighborhood now they all wear helmets they are out maybe a few hours a day and would rather watch a baseball game on tv then go swimming or play in the pool. i actually heard a mom YELLING at a kid to NOT go play on a huge dirt hill last summer... sorry this makes no sense and is random thoughts but you get the point
probably another reason WD40 changed their formula to where it's not flammable anymore:rolleyes:

I used to use it to start lawnmower engines and such......
testing purposes.......... if it would run on WD40, then it was a fuel problem, if it didn't run, it was an ignition/spark problem
won't do it anymore

uawaterskier
01-25-2008, 02:02 AM
probably another reason WD40 changed their formula to where it's not flammable anymore:rolleyes:

I used to use it to start lawnmower engines and such......
testing purposes.......... if it would run on WD40, then it was a fuel problem, if it didn't run, it was an ignition/spark problem
won't do it anymoreyeah until it backfires threw the carb and you loose and eyebrow...my chevy reminded me of that a couple of weekends ago. One day ill get that d*mn truck to idle. Either that, or I will continue to loose eyebrows:rolleyes:

uawaterskier
01-25-2008, 02:02 AM
ugh double post

H20skeefreek
01-25-2008, 05:59 AM
You know, I hear all the time "man, when I was young, I thought I new everything, but now I know that I new nothing." But It's that way your whole life. Everyone thinks they know everything, had it harder, they've gone through more. People don't realize that every generation has a different set of problems. I'd rather deal with metal pedals than worry about never making it to 18 b/c of radical terrorists, dieing of flesh eating bacteria b/c I get scratched at school, getting pumped full of bullets b/c some guy in a trench coat feels marginalized or getting pumped for of bullets b/c I walked down the street in the inner-city or even the mall.

Lennyp04
01-25-2008, 06:28 AM

Even I had a metal tonka truck. I can remember pushing it around my driveway

milkmania
01-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Even I had a metal tonka truck. I can remember pushing it around my driveway
you had a driveway:confused:

rich kids:rolleyes:

8p

dog paw
01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Somehow I missed the part about rotary dial phones...;) Yup, I still know where there is one that's working...:D

My Grandaddy worked for Bell Labs back in the stone age. He actually desinged some of the guts in the "silent dial" rotary phone. Worked with other cool cutting edge stuff like FM radio also LOL! Somehow my father figured out how to break the genetic chain and cut us out of the smarts.... :) My how things have changed....

puck_11
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
This is starting to remind me of this article...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033934/

There's a reason why we're more demanding, probably because so much more was demanded of us growing up. Not only were we supposed to graduate at the top of our class, we were also supposed to be an all state athlete and captain of the team, heavily involved in clubs, so that we could be well rounded and get into the best the colleges so we could start all over again. This time interning while earning multiple degrees, being president of organizations, volunteering etc, etc to make us more marketable. Ever read articles on how picky and choosy top colleges are now, ever hear from anyone on the board how there's no way they would get into their ivy league school now? ;)

Anyways, there were basically two types of kids that I went to college with. The one type was like the kid above, worked everywhere to get eveything. The other was basically given a blank check whenever they need it and quoted by their parents to go have fun in college, you have the rest of your lives to work. So whatever, you guys complain, but you're the ones who raised us and showed us the way. 8p

FWIW we had an Atari 5200 growing up, and that was the last system that my parents bought, which was well obsolete by the time I could start playing it haha.

uawaterskier
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
This is starting to remind me of this article...

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033934/

There's a reason why we're more demanding, probably because so much more was demanded of us growing up. Not only were we supposed to graduate at the top of our class, we were also supposed to be an all state athlete and captain of the team, heavily involved in clubs, so that we could be well rounded and get into the best the colleges so we could start all over again. This time interning while earning multiple degrees, being president of organizations, volunteering etc, etc to make us more marketable. Ever read articles on how picky and choosy top colleges are now, ever hear from anyone on the board how there's no way they would get into their ivy league school now? ;)

Anyways, there were basically two types of kids that I went to college with. The one type was like the kid above, worked everywhere to get eveything. The other was basically given a blank check whenever they need it and quoted by their parents to go have fun in college, you have the rest of your lives to work. So whatever, you guys complain, but you're the ones who raised us and showed us the way. 8p

FWIW we had an Atari 5200 growing up, and that was the last system that my parents bought, which was well obsolete by the time I could start playing it haha.
yeah Im defineately a working kid. Ive had a full time job since I was 13. Now I'm in college and don't have a job and its driving me crazy. But I cant help but notice the kids rolling around in z06 vettes and audi a8s. I'm sure they bought those with their own money.:rolleyes: I cant stand how rude they are. Thats my biggest problem with kids that had everything handed to them.

phecksel
01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Leisure Suits
Ultrasonic remote for the TV. Drove my dad nuts until he figured out my tonka truck wheels were changing the channels, LOL

shepherd
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Funny how the generation who complains about how spoiled kids are today is the same generation who raised them that way. :cool:

Chas
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah until it backfires threw the carb and you loose and eyebrow...my chevy reminded me of that a couple of weekends ago. One day ill get that d*mn truck to idle.

What's a "Carb?"

I know I know - but with EFI on everything from cars to lawnmowers, sometimes I wonder.

Jet
01-25-2008, 12:49 PM
This is a great thread !

Over 40 now, so memory is starting to fade away...

Toys I remember: Big Jim, GI Joe figures, Intellivision game, quarterback(portable video game), Big Wheel ( think I burned through 3 of those).

Car rides: no seat belts, children crammed in the back of my dad's Bronco, either on chairs or sitting down on the floor.

No helmet for anything, bicycle, skiing, skateboarding, rollerskating.

At work, not that long ago: portable computers which weighed about 60 pounds, no Excel or Word. Typewriters which did not correct mistakes. Fax pages which faded away after a few months.

Still feel that generation Z don't have the persistance and dedication that we were grown to develop and needed to have to survive. Balance in life is important, but dedication is hard to find in people under 30 these days.

Just my two cents...

dog paw
01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Funny how the generation who complains about how spoiled kids are today is the same generation who raised them that way. :cool:

Touché :D

All my kids reside in shallow unmarked graves LOL!

M-Funf
01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Somebody say pinball :D

I also still have my Atari 2600 with about 50 games. Works like a champ!

3event
01-25-2008, 01:35 PM
If you guys want to feel old, check out the "Mindset List" compiled annually by Beloit college to describe the mindset of the incoming freshman class each year. For this year the freshman class mindset includes:

> They never “rolled down” a car window.
> Pete Rose has never played baseball.
> Al Gore has always been running for president or thinking about it.
> MTV has never featured music videos.
> They never saw Johnny Carson live on television.
> They have no idea who Rusty Jones was or why he said “goodbye to rusty cars.”

Full list at: http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/mindset/2011.php

shepherd
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
When I was a kid, I had to ride the bus to school - at least until I bought my own car.

My secretary drives her 15 year old daughter to school every day, in the opposite direction from work. She tells horror stories about the traffic jams in and out of the school because everyone else is doing the same thing. They have a school bus that stops 1/2 block from the house. She's afraid her daughter would be stigmatized and traumatized if she had to ride the bus to school.

shepherd
01-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Who is Rusty Jones? :confused:

M-Funf
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
When I was a kid, I had to ride the bus to school - at least until I bought my own car.

My secretary drives her 15 year old daughter to school every day, in the opposite direction from work. She tells horror stories about the traffic jams in and out of the school because everyone else is doing the same thing. They have a school bus that stops 1/2 block from the house. She's afraid her daughter would be stigmatized and traumatized if she had to ride the bus to school.

I had to ride the bus, too. It was either that, ride my bike, or walk. It was about 5 miles. There was no way my mother was going to drive us to school...it was out of the question.

I think it's completely lame that kids get a ride to school these days. Our neighbor has always driven her kids to school. It's about a 10 minute walk...:mad:

No wonder there are so many obese kids these days...

Lennyp04
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty sure at my school district you can't walk to school

milkmania
01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Who is Rusty Jones? :confused:

I was going to ask the same thing:o

3event
01-25-2008, 05:38 PM
The jingle played in every commercial, and went something like...
"Hello Rusty Jones, goodbye rusty cars..." They had a cartoon dude as their Rusty Jones spokesman.

Rusty Jones Inc. was a company which provided aftermarket rustproofing for vehicles under their "Rusty Jones" trademark. Cars treated with the rustproofing displayed a sticker in the window with the name "Rusty Jones" and a picture of the cartoon character (also named Rusty Jones) from the company's TV commercials. The company was based in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A..
-from wikipedia.com

Apparently I am full of useless knowledge.....

BrianM
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I've got two big V shaped scars on my left shin from slipping a pedal juming my bike. Had to ride home about a mile with blood soaking my shoe and sock. 9 stitches.

Ric
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
The jingle played in every commercial, and went something like...
"Hello Rusty Jones, goodbye rusty cars..." They had a cartoon dude as their Rusty Jones spokesman.

Rusty Jones Inc. was a company which provided aftermarket rustproofing for vehicles under their "Rusty Jones" trademark. Cars treated with the rustproofing displayed a sticker in the window with the name "Rusty Jones" and a picture of the cartoon character (also named Rusty Jones) from the company's TV commercials. The company was based in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A..
-from wikipedia.com

Apparently I am full of useless knowledge..... we had rusty jones and zeibart round these parts, sure

ShawnE
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
but did ya have one of these?

The Sonic Blaster

I could knock down my sister from about 8 feet away!

learjet2230
01-27-2008, 09:39 PM
but did ya have one of these?

The Sonic Blaster

I could knock down my sister from about 8 feet away!

No, but if I had the potato gun I had constructed in college I would be a different person I'm sure.

x-10ron
01-27-2008, 09:46 PM
what about the station wagon, there where no suv's back then,
My mom drove a 84 chevy custom cruiser station wagon, it had a 350 diesel motor. It had the fake wood grain sticker on the side of it.
reminds me of the national lampoons movie where the went to wally world!!!!!
Big wheels, me and my older brother got our asses beat for flat spoting the rear wheels doing power slides!!!!!!!!

stuartmcnair
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I wonder what an Atari 2600 goes for these days? Imagine if you had one unopened in the box. I used to love the tank games, Defender, and Pitfall. Could never get the hang of Coleco Vision though. By the way you had me rolling on the One Word thread! Still laughing

I have one in the closet...next to the TI 994A - first personal computer

Let's see...I had a bigwheel and lived on a big hill...I no longer had the bigwheel after I got hit by a car while seeing how fast I could go down said hill.

As far as the Tonka Trucks go, I gave my nephew a brand new one for Christmas and they are making them out of steel. My brother in law is a trial lawyer...class action specialist...and I fully blame him for not being able to let kids ride in the back of trucks, get on a bike without a helmet, have any fun whatsoever....

Lennyp04
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Anyone ever drive a Studebaker? Thats the kinda car my dads family had when he was growing up. From what I hear it was a really sweet car. But what do I know...I'm way under 30!

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
How about the 45's bought on Saturdays, ride my bike to school and didn't lock it up. Dad bought a VW because gas hit .31/gal. We had a Merc outboard on our boat, but what about those big old white Chryslers smoking up the lake!

3event
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
How about the 45's bought on Saturdays, ride my bike to school and didn't lock it up. Dad bought a VW because gas hit .31/gal. We had a Merc outboard on our boat, but what about those big old white Chryslers smoking up the lake!

Yep, the ole Chrysler outboards.... When I was a kid, neighbor had a 75hp, those things were HUGE pigs. For several of the rigs we would ski with (including our family boat at the time), the driving technique was all the same. When the skier was ready, jam the throttle wide open and just hold it there until skier was done. Simple! Who needs perfect pass?

JohnE
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I remember the Rusty Jones commercials. Thanks for getting that jingle stuck in my head.:D

D3skier
01-28-2008, 09:16 PM

not only the big wheels but who remembers the "green machines" where it actually steered from the rear wheels... I use to love riding that thing. pretty much rode it until the wheels fell apart.

wakolman
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
not only the big wheels but who remembers the "green machines" where it actually steered from the rear wheels... I use to love riding that thing. pretty much rode it until the wheels fell apart.

I had the green machine, it ruled. How about the little Stomper trucks? I have a box full of them in the basement. I didn't read all 12 pages, so sorry if it has been mentioned.

Hammer
01-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Man....
We had a TRS 80. That thing was the best.
Big wheels, bought my daughter one last year and my son got one this year.
We had a station wagon, we called it the "whoosh wagon" it had a 460 and you could hear the gas gage go Whoosh straight to E.
My first car was a 76 firebird with a straight 6, named it the "FireChicken" always dreamed of getting a 67-72 Chevy short bed back then, finally bought one about 6 years ago. Now I have three, wanna buy one?
Never heard of Rusty Jones though.
Blew up all my Tonkas and matchbox cars.
Got ten stitches in my shin because I couldn't steer my big wheel because of the huge flat spot. Later got a green machine, Best thing in the world!

Hammer
01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh, yea. Our first boat had a Chrysler outboard 105.

D3skier
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
my parents had a 87 chevy station wagon with a metal back seat and my parents use to take us up the avenues in Utah and go up and down the hills while we slid back and forth in the back section with the seats down. Man were those the good ol' days....

Ski Bum
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
When I was a kid We walked To school 5 miles in the snow. Are shoes were size 7 and are feet were size 10. And our toes were bloody stumps and we liked it!

milkmania
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I just remembered.
my drunk assed alcoholic step dad had a Ford Pinto...

a POS driving a POS
truly a miracle I survived childhood:rolleyes:

lanier92prostar
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
wood baseball bats and wood tennis rackets

uawaterskier
01-28-2008, 10:52 PM
What's a "Carb?"

I know I know - but with EFI on everything from cars to lawnmowers, sometimes I wonder.
something that requires lots of flat head screwdrivers to get to work right, and even then it only works for a couple of months until you have to do it all over again.

03 35th Anniversary
01-28-2008, 11:37 PM
something that requires lots of flat head screwdrivers to get to work right, and even then it only works for a couple of months until you have to do it all over again.Nah.... You just gotta have that feel for it. My Dad is a pro at it....

Carb engines are easier and cheaper to get hp out of.....

TMCNo1
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
When I was a kid We walked To school 5 miles in the snow. Are shoes were size 7 and are feet were size 10. And our toes were bloody stumps and we liked it!

Was it uphill both ways and all you had to wear was a tank top?

Doug G
01-29-2008, 06:38 AM
something that requires lots of flat head screwdrivers to get to work right, and even then it only works for a couple of months until you have to do it all over again.

See case in point. Tuning carbs is an art that old farts can do. new generation equivalent is tuning via the puter ... my grandfather taught me to tune dual carbs on a Corvair :D

TMCNo1
01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
See case in point. Tuning carbs is an art that old farts can do. new generation equivalent is tuning via the puter ... my grandfather taught me to tune dual carbs on a Corvair :D

Tell me about it! Having to adjust the floats on the Holley on my '69 Z28 when I went to the beach, then readjust when I got home, then going on a trip up to the mountains was a whole nuther story, but man did it fell good when it was running sweet!

TX.X-30 fan
01-29-2008, 08:30 AM

:D :D

uawaterskier
01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I guess Im just going to have to convert to TBI since us young folk cant make carbs run worth a hoot.

Rallyspitman
01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I had a Spectrum ZX 81 - If you wanted to play a game on it you had to type the code in first, line by line!!!!!!!!!!