PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Trailer Jack

agua4fun
01-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Im curious what type of trailer jacks people are carrying with them for their boat trailer? (the kind for flat tires)
I dont trailer around too much, but plan to more this summer. Any Suggestions (2001 PS 190)?

Has anyone used one of these?"Easy Lift Jack" (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Easy_Lift_Trailer_Jack&r=view&i=71810&aID=)

Thanks!

ShamrockIV
01-24-2008, 08:59 PM
i do not carry one in truck. but i use a floor jack to raise it high enough to pull pin and turn trailer tongue jack wheel up!!

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
2 ton floor jack. Can be a problem with getting it under the axle on a blowout since it's under the springs though. I speak from experience there.

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Bottle jack, with a thick leather patch on top to prevent scratching the axle. It's a little heavy, but compact and dependable. I have a lightweight alum. racing jack for around the house, 3 pumps and the wheel is off the floor.

DBR
01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Last year on the way to CSM 07 I had a BLOW OUT on my trailer. The jack in my truck would not fit under the axle with the tire flat. I had to improvise and put it on the slanted frame and barely got it high enough to make the change. What ever kind you use check the clearance.

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
2 ton floor jack. Can be a problem with getting it under the axle on a blowout since it's under the springs though. I speak from experience there.
ET, carry a couple of short 2x4's with you, maybe 18" on one and 24" on the other. Back or pull the trailer up on those boards, slide jack under and change the bad tire. This works real good!

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
ET, carry a couple of short 2x4's with you, maybe 18" on one and 24" on the other. Back or pull the trailer up on those boards, slide jack under and change the bad tire. This works real good!

I always do. But that's a better idea than I had at the time. When I had my tread separation, I was delivering my 205 to its new owner. I ended up getting my expedition jack under the axle enough to get the floor jack under it. Your idea would've worked better. Where were you? ;)

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I always do. But that's a better idea than I had at the time. When I had my tread separation, I was delivering my 205 to its new owner. I ended up getting my expedition jack under the axle enough to get the floor jack under it. Your idea would've worked better. Where were you? ;)
Dunno. When my dad was bringing home our S&S after he bought it, the bearing failed (single axle trailer, no prop guard) on LBJ at 2pm on a Friday. Tire, rim, and hub went past him and bounced into oncoming traffic. Nobody hurt there. Dad was pulling it with a 63 Chevy pickup and he almost lost it. Managed to get it to the right shoulder. Traffic was backed up for miles, news helicopters EVERYWHERE. He managed to get a ride to some store, retrieved the tire, got a new hub, bearings, etc and rebuilt it on the side of LBJ. Prop was all bent up. He didn't get home until about 11pm. A day of no cell phones, etc....That was the day we all started our love for MC's..

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 09:35 PM
My father in law has a friend who had his boat pass him on the highway. Not a good sign.

ShamrockIV
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
My father in law has a friend who had his boat pass him on the highway. Not a good sign.

easy here bro!!
u are bringing up bad memories!!!
My S&S came off the hitch!!! ALWAY USE CHAINS!!!!!!

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
easy here bro!!
u are bringing up bad memories!!!
My S&S came off the hitch!!! ALWAY USE CHAINS!!!!!!
Your fault, someone else's, or a failure? Spill it sister!

ShamrockIV
01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Never again did i pull trailer without a lock on the tongue!!!

Only one wat to stop boat was to let it hit tailgate of truck and slowly ease her down!!! Then since i was by myself i had to do my best incredible HULK impression to get it back on the ball!!!!

thanks guys I will throw a jack in the truck for CSM!!!
plus put a spare on the handy spare tire holder on my boat!!

stuartmcnair
01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Im curious what type of trailer jacks people are carrying with them for their boat trailer? (the kind for flat tires)
I dont trailer around too much, but plan to more this summer. Any Suggestions (2001 PS 190)?

Has anyone used one of these?"Easy Lift Jack" (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Easy_Lift_Trailer_Jack&r=view&i=71810&aID=)

Thanks!

I use one of those...works great

ShamrockIV
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
man that easy lift looks like the bomb!!!
any drawbacks?

Doug G
01-24-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.aaaeastpenn.com/travel/images/logo_aaaeastpenn.gif

ski_king
01-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't need a jack if I don't have a spare. I need to get one of those one of these days.......

88 PS190
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
The truck jack has a handle 4' long stored under the hood,

slide that down under the axle and twist a few times and wham.

That said i trailer 3 miles twice a year. Once in, once out. Less than 10 minutes from my house at any point. Less than 1 minute from a variety of boat launch sites at all points.

So... it'll never ever be an issue.

lanier92prostar
01-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I keep a 2 ton bottle jack in the truck for the camper. I guess I would use it for the boat if I needed to.

etakk7
01-25-2008, 12:09 AM
i bought an easy lift jack and it didn't come close to fitting under the axle of my 2000 205V double axel trailer

BrandonKTM
01-25-2008, 12:51 AM
If you have tandem axles they make a plastic ramp you drive the other tire up on. It works pretty easily as I used it on I-79 for our 4 horse Gooseneck, that weighs 10,000# with 2 horses in it. I can't remember the name. I will look in the H'trailer if anyone is interested.

Monte
01-25-2008, 12:53 AM
If you have tandem axles they make a plastic ramp you drive the other tire up on. It works pretty easily as I used it on I-79 for our 4 horse Gooseneck, that weighs 10,000# with 2 horses in it. I can't remember the name. I will look in the H'trailer if anyone is interested.

I'd like to have that info:cool:

stuartmcnair
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

that's what we use for our horse trailer...would work easily on a boat trailer

Trailer Aid (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=1783&cm_mmc=NexTag-_-Shopping%20Feed-_-NA-_-11783)

flipper
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
only had to do it once, but just used the bottle jack that came with the truck.

Jerseydave
01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
that's what we use for our horse trailer...would work easily on a boat trailer

Trailer Aid (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=1783&cm_mmc=NexTag-_-Shopping%20Feed-_-NA-_-11783)

Thanks for the link from trailer-aid. I'll have to look into that or just cut a wedge-shape from a big block of wood.

454Prostar190
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I have a tandem axle trailer for my '82 S&S and carry one of those little floor jacks from Kragen's Auto that works pretty good and fits in my truck box. The wedge idea is a good one for a tandem axle trailer and I have used a couple of blocks before. Rick

ShamrockIV
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I am ordering one of the "easy lift" jacks. from what i hear they are nice!!! i hate to go 400 miles to CSM with only jack that comes with truck!!!

agua4fun
01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
yeah, i may try an easy lift jack as well. I will measure under the axle to the "theoretical blow out height" to see if it will work, but it seems like a good backup. thanks for all of the info.

tex
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Been there done that!

WTRSK1R
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Only needed to do it once, but the jack from my Explorer worked great under the single axel of my '92 205. Course, I have a different boat, and a different Explorer now, so I probably should see if the geometry still works. Otherwise that shiny new spare tire is not doing me much good other then looking nice on the front of the trailer.:D

atlfootr
01-30-2008, 08:21 PM
3Ton Floor Jack

ShamrockIV
01-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks!

I ordered an easy lift today!!! i did the research and asked around and i hear they are great!!

atlfootr
01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the link from trailer-aid. I'll have to look into that or just cut a wedge-shape from a big block of wood.

That'd work great dual-axle trailers ...... what about us guys w/ Single Axle :confused:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/images/product/traileraid-yw.gif
Trailer-Aid
E-Quest Inc

$ 51.95

http://www.smartpakequine.com/images/product/TrailerOn-TrailerAid.gif

Make sure a flat tire won’t ruin a big day.
This handy device allows anyone to change a flat tire anywhere, anytime, without help, without a jack.

And most importantly, without unloading the animals.
With Trailer-Aid®, you’re on the road again in minutes. Trailer-Aid is quick, safe, and easy! It is made of super strong, lightweight polymer. 15,000 pound capacity. Guaranteed for life.
Make Trailer-Aid® standard equipment in your trailer.
Yellow or Black.

ShamrockIV
01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
i am really glad this poll was started!!
i had never thought of a jack to use on boat trailer b4!!!
thanks guys!!!!!!! It is a long trip to CSM!!

Chief
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I use the man well jack.

mbeach
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
my favorite jack is the daniels variety.

Roonie's
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I have the easy lift jack from Overtons and have yet to use it but carry it everywhere with the boat.

T Scott
02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't see the "Call AAA" option !! AAA is the best $100 bucks I spend!

ShamrockIV
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I have the easy lift jack from Overtons and have yet to use it but carry it everywhere with the boat.

have u tested it yet? i plan on it as soon as it warms up and i pull the boat out!!

TMCNo1
02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't see the "Call AAA" option !! AAA is the best $100 bucks I spend!

We have AAA and on a trip to Disney World a couple years ago, on the evening of the day we arrived, I noticed a RR flat on the car. Reluctantly, I called AAA and 2 hours later a foreign gentleman showed up in a really nice wrecker, couldn't understand a word he said, no tools, no air, nothing, used my car jack after I got it out and set it up. After he changed out the tire, I asked where I could get the tire repaired (screw in it) and he said in very broken English, that he had no idea! Next morning at 6:00 am I hit the roads of Kissimmee, Fl. and found a Wal-Mart and in 20 minutes I was on the road back to the resort and in the Magic Kingdom @ 9:00 am., Next time, I'll do it myself, but I'll still keep my membership, just in case, primarily for towing the boat.

JohnE
02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Dayum,

I thought I was voting for bottle of jack. I need to read these polls before voting.

TMCNo1
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Dayum,

I thought I was voting for bottle of jack. I need to read these polls before voting.

I don't know about that, a bottle of that jack would probably taste like rubber, plastic or oil!:rolleyes: :D