PDA

View Full Version : Another January ...

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Stripped to bare wood. Scrubbed, brightened, sanded up to 1,000 grit wet (sorry Harold, I was out of 2,000 grit). Switched over to xxxx steel wool. 3 coats of oil on the bottom. 5 on the top. Light steel wool rub between coats That should hold it until next year.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/IMG_4116.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/IMG_4140.jpg

Let's see yours.

Monte
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Nice ETS!!!:cool:

tex
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
That will way overshadow that SN!

Monte
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I did notice a funny shape

tex
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I did notice a funny shape
It's also smaller~

h2oskifreak
01-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Inspiring me to do mine. What stripper is best for teak? Now if I can just keep those damn wakeboarders off of it next year.

sand2snow22
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Looks good Eastie, I like the shape of that platform!

Monte
01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Darn your going to get stuff on the furniture:rolleyes:

At least he had the couth to take it outside for the final coat... :D

tex
01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Inspiring me to do mine. What stripper is best for teak? Now if I can just keep those damn wakeboarders off of it next year.
I would go with Savannah, she's on the mainstage right now!

shepherd
01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I would go with Savannah, she's on the mainstage right now!

This thread is worthless without pics! :mad:

h2oskifreak
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I should have expected that from you Tex. Oh, and by the way what coctail are ya sippin on right now?

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Random orbit Dewalt sander with 220 grit pad. Takes it right off. Next year won't require 1/10 the work.

h2oskifreak
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
I assume just folded 220 in the joinst also, then finer?

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 11:06 PM
I assume just folded 220 in the joinst also, then finer?

If you have a slotted platform, it can be a real pain. The folded paper works. They also have these sponge sanders that you can get in the tough spots.

h2oskifreak
01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
My platform is custom for my 75 S & S joints are pretty tight, I think folded will work. Thanks Eastie, I posted some pics under "post you teak" last summer. It has a funkey shape. I ordered it from Flounder Pounder Marine and cut it down to fit my skinny little A$$ on my 75'. Couldn't find anything narrow enough. I have a question? I reinforced my transom and custom fabricated brackets for the platform. I don't want to sound stupid, but did early MC's ever come with platforms? And if so, when did they start showing up?

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Not a clue when the platform was standard.

Slinkyredfoot
01-24-2008, 07:47 AM
My platform is custom for my 75 S & S joints are pretty tight, I think folded will work. Thanks Eastie, I posted some pics under "post you teak" last summer. It has a funkey shape. I ordered it from Flounder Pounder Marine and cut it down to fit my skinny little A$$ on my 75'. Couldn't find anything narrow enough. I have a question? I reinforced my transom and custom fabricated brackets for the platform. I don't want to sound stupid, but did early MC's ever come with platforms? And if so, when did they start showing up?

The first one's I every saw that we original equipment was in '79. Mine is an original, fiberglass unit. It is lagged screwed through the transom into a piece of plywood the is glassed into the inside of the transom.

BrianM
01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Looks good.

That is one thing I do not like about those N boats. The platform is really small.

ttu
01-24-2008, 08:51 AM
went up to the lake last sunday to get my platform and give it the "harold's treatment".

start working on it when son's basketball season is over:D

tex
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I should have expected that from you Tex. Oh, and by the way what coctail are ya sippin on right now?
I've been sipping on that Bloody Mary Martini a lot!

Sodar
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I took care of my platform also. A little soap, some cleaner wax, followed with some pure wax and she looks good as ever! :D :D

#47of100TeamMC
01-24-2008, 10:25 AM
ETS... Is the Sun hot enough to bake the coats on for you this time of year? I think if i tried to re-do my teak I wouldn't have such good luck... Temp was -18 at my house this morning. and I don't have a heat lamp:rolleyes:

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Looks good.

That is one thing I do not like about those N boats. The platform is really small.

It has never struck me that way standing on it. Just a pair of size 10s here.

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I took care of my platform also. A little soap, some cleaner wax, followed with some pure wax and she looks good as ever! :D :D

Give it time. ;)

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
ETS... Is the Sun hot enough to bake the coats on for you this time of year? I think if i tried to re-do my teak I wouldn't have such good luck... Temp was -18 at my house this morning. and I don't have a heat lamp:rolleyes:

No. I built a special oven just for the platform. ;)

I've been letting it dry over several days in the garage. This has been a 2 week + project. I'm not wild about oiling and drying outside anyway. Too much dirt/dust/leaves blowing around that can end up in the finished product.

BrianM
01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
It has never struck me that way standing on it. Just a pair of size 10s here.

I just skied behind a fellow club members '97 N the other day. Putting a ski on on that platform seemed really cramped to me since the sides of the platform are angled so much. My ski hung over both sides. On my boat I just hang the fin off. Also seems short but that may be just because of the shape of the transom.

BrianM
01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't see how you don't ding up the edges of that fiberglass platform when putting a ski on. Seems like that edge would take a beating. Also you would never be able to slide a beginner off the side of it without really messing it up. With the teak doing that puts a few scratches that is easly touched up with a quick sand on the scratch and a little oil.

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I just skied behind a fellow club members '97 N the other day. Putting a ski on on that platform seemed really cramped to me since the sides of the platform are angled so much. My ski hung over both sides. On my boat I just hang the fin off. Also seems short but that may be just because of the shape of the transom.

Might be, but I've never noticed, and I put my ski on the same way.

Sodar
01-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't see how you don't ding up the edges of that fiberglass platform when putting a ski on. Seems like that edge would take a beating. Also you would never be able to slide a beginner off the side of it without really messing it up. With the teak doing that puts a few scratches that is easly touched up with a quick sand on the scratch and a little oil.

The gelcoat is suprisingly resilient.... plus the white hides much more than a color would. I am just careful that I put the fin of the ski far from the platform and just do a nice little hop to the side to get off. Wakeboards are a bit tougher, but after 6 months of use the platform has held up very well and looks great. I am impressed! However, I am not saying that if there was a Teak platform laying around for a decent price, that I would not pick it up. :cool:

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
The gelcoat is suprisingly resilient.... plus the white hides much more than a color would. I am just careful that I put the fin of the ski far from the platform and just do a nice little hop to the side to get off. Wakeboards are a bit tougher, but after 6 months of use the platform has held up very well and looks great. I am impressed! However, I am not saying that if there was a Teak platform laying around for a decent price, that I would not pick it up. :cool:

Was that platform an option or standard on yours, Cameron?

Sodar
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Was that platform an option or standard on yours, Cameron?

Fiberglass was a $150 upgrade. Teak is standard. I actually had a choice to swap after the order was placed, because MC forgot to ship a platform with the boat. But I really liked the look of everything all white and black....

east tx skier
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
As much as I prefer teak, I agree, the black and white looks very good with your boat.