PDA

View Full Version : code reader

Bruce
01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
My local auto repair loaned me a code reader. It looked like the plug was to large for the ecm plug on the boat. I trust I had the right ecm plug(front of engine with protective cap with black wire coming out of cap. Question do I need obd1 or obd2? (hope this is the right terminology). When/if I get a code are the marine codes same as auto?

Engine in question: Indmar 5.7 vortec MX plus EFI, TBI

bigmac
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't think an auto code reader will work...I think you need a marine code reader.

TMCNo1
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
You may want to talk to JimN. He had posted this on a '95 and I don't know if it would also apply in your case, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=448746&postcount=3 in this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=448746#post448746

JimN
01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
These are OBD I. Technically, you can use a paperclip but it has to go into the right terminals.

What makes you want to read the codes?

oldriver
01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
The reader with the right adapter,will work(fit ) but the auto code software will not read the marine codes.You need the tester with the right software,and proper adapter.Most auto shops and dealers dont have the software(cost too much and no use for it).See your local marine dealer and give him a few bucks only takes a few minutes

Bruce
01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
These are OBD I. Technically, you can use a paperclip but it has to go into the right terminals.

What makes you want to read the codes?
Jim, I wanted to check the codes because the check engine light does not come on when the ignition is on. The bulb is good. Could be the codes would not tell me anything anyway. You would be the best judge of that. I am third owner. First two were good friends of each other so I don't imagine anything was hidden there. The person I bought it from I trust as well. Dealer (Bennet,s) head mechanic/scvmgr. knows the boat and gave me a good verbal report over the phone before I bought it. I have been trying to get copies of service record from them for months. They promise and promise but I have not gotten them yet. I guess I am looking for the codes to confirm everything is o.k. The boat runs great! Is it possible the light would not come on as it is now but would come on if a problem showed up?

Bruce
01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
You may want to talk to JimN. He had posted this on a '95 and I don't know if it would also apply in your case, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=448746&postcount=3 in this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=448746#post448746

Thanks Harold, wonder why this did not show up when I did a search i.e."code reader"?

JimN
01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Bruce- call MC and verify the year(s) that had a mis-wired harness. IIRC, it was '99 and the problem was in the wiring to the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). If yours falls in the window for the problem, no dealer repaired it when the bulletin went out. Call the seller and ask if you can connect it to the diagnostic computer and watch while he scrolls through the windows, and make sure you see the one that indicates overheats, which stay in non-volatile memory for 300 key-on cycles. If you want to do the repair yourself, ask him for the bulletin, which should be in their pile (or archive) or binder (which is how I had mine). MC sent a notice to the dealers and customers about this and it was up to both parties to get it fixed. Too many thought it was meaningless and didn't, which probably led to some big-time problems. Being out of warranty, they should be willing to fax or e-mail a copy to you. If not (and I know why they wouldn't), have Bennet's send one to you.

If you want to test your idea about not coming on when the key is turned to ON but would when there's a problem, unplug the knock, MAP and TPS harnesses and run it. That ought to get its attention and won't hurt anything. Just don't take it out on the water this way- all you want to do is start it and let it idle for a minute. I suspect that it will remain dark.

Bruce
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks again Jim. I emailed them once but never got a reply. No phone # shown on home page or under"contact us". Would you happen to have the phone # and perhaps a name? Sorry to bother you. As I mentioned I have no had any success with Bennet's responding to my request. Guess they are not interested in my next purchase or recommendation to friends.

bobx1
01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Do your homework before you recommend said dealer.....

JimN
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Here are the numbers for MC-

Phone: 423-884-2221

Fax: 423-884-6525
Call them to give the hull ID number from your boat and ask if yours falls within the hull ID range for the mis-wired harnesses.

Bruce
01-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Do your homework before you recommend said dealer.....

Meaning what?

bobx1
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
As I mentioned I have no had any success with Bennet's responding to my request. Guess they are not interested in my next purchase or recommendation to friends.

I do not want to trash dealers over the net. Based on the above, you are already experiencing what me, and several of my friends, have been putting up with over the past couple of years. I ended up going elsewhere for sales and service.

Bruce
01-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I do not want to trash dealers over the net. Based on the above, you are already experiencing what me, and several of my friends, have been putting up with over the past couple of years. I ended up going elsewhere for sales and service.

Got it. These folks are over 100 miles away. Unfortunately they are the only game in town as far as MC. Don't know where you are located but if you have a good source around here I would appreciate it. I did not trash them I just stated a fact. However, I would not hesitate to trash dealer when appropriate. By, the same token I am quick to sing the praises of the "good guys" who treat us well and appreciate our business. (See my recent post on SKIDIM they are a class act!)

bobx1
01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Bruce:

I know you were not trashing. Referenced dealer is in my backyard (Baton Rouge). If you are out of warranty on the engine, I recommend you check with David Wade Marine in Baton Rouge (225-752-3789). The guy that owns it is the race captain for the Popeye's boat and they do good work. Another Mastercraft owner recommended them to me. I end up driving to Monroe (Gus Campbell Watersports) for MC warranty work. A far piece from Lacombe but they are professional and do a good job - a guy on WW and another local recommended them to me. Will the Malibu dealer in New Orleans (I also think they have a place on the North Shore) do work on your boat? I was told they would work on the engine and seemed pretty nice when I was comparing Bu's to MC's. Good luck!

Bruce
01-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Bob,(right name?) I am way out of warranty. It is a 1999 230VRS. The boat was in Baton Rouge by two previous owners and came from said dealer I believe. In fact dealer had it for sale on his lot for some time before the last owner from Baton Rouge bought it. I bought in Aug. 2006. Great idea about talking to BU folks for work. I met them at boat show. Super nice. In fact they have my son-in-laws attention on new boat. Our local MC guy doesn"t show at local show.( Imagine that)Again thanks,
Bruce

Bruce
01-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Here are the numbers for MC-

Phone: 423-884-2221

Fax: 423-884-6525
Call them to give the hull ID number from your boat and ask if yours falls within the hull ID range for the miswired harnesses.

Jim, it has been so rainy I have not yet been able to get into the boat and get the hull number(boat hangs in strap etc.) as soon as I can I will call MC. I did however just get the maintenance records I have been pleading for. Not much but at least the last couple of work orders. One thing I noticed was that the ignition switch had been replaced.(don't know why). Since the check engine light does not come on when the switch is turned on just maybe that could be the source off the problem?
I also note that they had attempted to fix the speedometer with no success so they gave up. The work order mentioned they had changed the pick up to a paddle wheel but it read slow. At some point it stopped working all together. I guess that is when they gave up. On a previous post someone (BigMac?) said 1999 did not use a paddle wheel. I insisted mine had one. Now I know why
As always thank for you time and attention.
Bruce

JimN
01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
The ignition switch has nothing to do with the MIL. It was a harness assembly issue. Look for a thin black box under the dash- should be about 6" x 9 ", with two or three harnesses connected. If it has that, it's called an MDC box and controls all of the gauges electronically. Some of these had grounding issues and it was covered in MC service training. Unless they went to Corona for this, I don't remember anyone from that dealer being at the sessions I went to, and I was at everything from early '98 until late '99, which covered the 2000 line.

Unless parts are absolutely unavailable, there's no reason for a dealer to give up on a repair, IMO. If they're stumped, they should ask for help, not give up.