PDA

View Full Version : The giant awakes?

MYMC
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.sae.org/automag/technewsletter/080108Tech/01.htm

Some really cool stuff in this package...lets see if it makes the light of day.

OhioProstar
01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
My uncle worked at GM for a number of years in R&D and last month he was telling me about a 5 cycle engine that has been developed. The fifth cycle is composed of water injection that creates enough steam to slam the piston back down making it 40% more efficient and also cleans the cylinders to almost zero emissions. The technology is being sold to the highest bidder, but looks like the Europeans have the most interest. I would not be too surprised if the next ten years bears out a revolution in engine design.

Monte
01-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Looks pretty interesting.. I may have to wait til 2010 to buy a new vehicle..

88 PS190
01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I wonder how the heat is above the block between the head, as that is where the exhaust is being routed, seems it would get nice and toasty there.

5 cycle thing is interesting, that is a different use for water, of course John Deere used water long ago to increase compression and power when running on distillates in their multifuel tractors, but using the heat of the combustion chamber to vaporize water and driv the piston is definately a new one to me.

Intakes through the valve covers I ask you?

NeilM
01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.sae.org/automag/technewsletter/080108Tech/01.htm

Some really cool stuff in this package...lets see if it makes the light of day.

Mike, I like your title... let's hope the giant does have some ingenuity left that it can turn into cash...

RexDog1
01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I have heard rumblings of this engine for about 2 years now, very good setup for light-duty 310 hp with 520 lb-ft is not too bad!!!!! This is just a start for GM with this setup !!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

rcnjson
01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
My uncle worked at GM for a number of years in R&D and last month he was telling me about a 5 cycle engine that has been developed. The fifth cycle is composed of water injection that creates enough steam to slam the piston back down making it 40% more efficient and also cleans the cylinders to almost zero emissions. The technology is being sold to the highest bidder, but looks like the Europeans have the most interest. I would not be too surprised if the next ten years bears out a revolution in engine design.

There is a 6 stroke engine that uses water injected at the top of the fifth stroke which then turns to steam and forces the piston down for the sixth stroke. I couldn't really get my arms around the 5 stroke concept. This is called the "Crower Cycle" named after the inventor, Bruce Crower. Its been around a while, a year or more, I believe the idea is currently being shopped with engine manufacturers.

88 PS190
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
There is a 6 stroke engine that uses water injected at the top of the fifth stroke which then turns to steam and forces the piston down for the sixth stroke.

How do you keep the water from freezing in winter and still have it steam up? antifreeze for example would make the water not ice up, but be less likely to boil/steam/vaporize.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Mike, Have you placed the order for this to be in Meaghan's new for '10 X-star?

Jim@BAWS
01-23-2008, 04:34 PM

Not available at this time

Jesus_Freak
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
...using the heat of the combustion chamber to vaporize water and driv the piston is definately a new one to me....

Using the heat for anything involving the power cycle reduces the amount of lost work. Typical IC engine lost energy, in the form of heat losses (coolant and environment), is the reason the maximum theoretical IC engine efficiency is only ~30 to 40%. Cool concept!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Jim,
I also assume the '10 X-stars (Read: 2010 X-stars) are not available for ordering yet....:rolleyes: , Sorry I must have forgotten a smilie or two in my previous post.;)

MYMC
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
You can only imagine what we would charge for this option!:rolleyes:

Ric
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
There is a 6 stroke engine that uses water injected at the top of the fifth stroke which then turns to steam and forces the piston down for the sixth stroke. I couldn't really get my arms around the 5 stroke concept. This is called the "Crower Cycle" named after the inventor, Bruce Crower. Its been around a while, a year or more, I believe the idea is currently being shopped with engine manufacturers. I am just glad someone here calls them strokes rather than cycles....

TMCNo1
01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
You can only imagine what we would charge for this option!:rolleyes:

I think we got too many single exhaust boats around here as it is!:rolleyes: :D

Ric
01-24-2008, 03:11 PM
I think we got too many single exhaust boats around here as it is!:rolleyes: :D ahhahahahahah