PDA

View Full Version : code scanner for 95 maristar

Cuzz
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know what kind to get for my boat? has the LT-1 in it. No one local knows anything about Inmar and cant Diagnos it. Im having a hard time trying to find info on it.

KnoxX2
01-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Any Mastercraft Dealers around?

JimN
01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
What is it doing? If you can get an OBD I scanner, that will work. If it's running badly, describe the symptoms, service history (as much as you know), what happened immediately before the problems started and if it is an intermittent problem. By service history, I mean was it serviced regularly, using the right oils and filter at the 50 hour interval but I don't think a lot of detail about the actual oil changes is needed unless the oil was milky, smelled like gasoline or had some other odd characteristic. Has it overheated? How many times? Have the plugs and wires been replaced every 2-5 years, depending on how many hours?

Cuzz
01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Will any OBD-1 scanner work, or is it something special to marine? We got the boat used. All I do know is the boat sat for a year or two. It had a water line about 6" off the floor. The problem is that the engine sometime just boggs out/down with a load. It will rev up fine at the time. Dont think it is a fuel issue. Checked both the tank and screen at fuel pump. New filter and fuel pump too. Have not checked fuel PSI. But all screens clear and new fuel pump. We havn't need to cycle the engine to clear the problem, it just stops after a min or two. Engine temp is normal. No over heating issuse. So I'm thinking some faulty senor somewhere or relay. Moter had about 140hrs when we got it and we added about 30hrs over the summer.

JimN
01-23-2008, 11:28 PM
A scanner is one thing but a diagnostic computer is another. The codes are exactly the same as for a car. 14 & 15 are ECT, 21 & 22 are TPS, etc. The diagnostic computer uses a different card for marine and while some things may coincide, it's not worth trying the wrong one.

The rule of thumb when I went to MC training was that 80% of all driveability issues were fuel related and checking for codes is nice but I think that if you check your fuel pressure, you may see that it's not quite where it should be. Did you check the fuel pickup tube? Did you look into the chamber where that lives, or the vent tube? Did you check the fuel line for something pressing/squashing it between the tank and motor? How old is the gas? If it was old when you got the boat and you put 30 hours on it, there may be some crud in the fuel lines or at the injectors. Sitting for a year or two is not a good thing and old gas has a nasty habit of messing things up that shouldn't be messed up, regardless of whether the previous owner said they winterized it properly, or not. Have you done a compression test? Sitting causes rust in cylinders and that may/may not be a factor.

Did you clean your flame arrestor?

blackcreek
01-25-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm
Codemate efi code reader. I have this and it works great on my 97 lt1.

chico
02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I got the mefi scanner for my laptop,It gives you streaming data,trouble codes,everything you wanted to know about your engine but were afraid to ask.Go to mefi burn .com