PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Pay for a 80's S&S

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok folks. Time for a poll. I have been thinking lately and I want to poll you all and see what kind if demand there is for a certain boat. I ran an antique aircraft restoration shop for a couple of years in my off time. We restored some rather unique, one of a kind aircraft for some pretty high end customers. If anyone knows what aircraft maintenance entails, we are kind of a different breed. I recently won an award at Oshkosh for a customers plane I did. 3500+ entries, and 140 awards were given. It was a bronze Lindy (Charles Lindberg). Anyway, as a kid we used to own an 81 S&S. It was a great boat, simple, and to the point. The Mastercrafts I see now are just getting ridiculous with all the "bling-bling" as people have called it. I also remember reading a post about a stripped down PS190 and calling it the "Prostar Core". This is what my poll is based on. If I took an early 80's ish S&S and completely went through it and brought it back to basically a "zero time" piece of equipment. New motor (300HP, carb), new carpet, stringers, interior, guages, wiring, prop, etc..... What would you be willing to pay? No bling bling, but it could always be added. If I lined up a new 190 and this boat and there was a 30-40K difference, would you consider?

Slinkyredfoot
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
These are relative questions but it is like comparing the '72 Dolphins to the '08 Pats, a 57 Corvette to an 08 model...apples and oranges....

I will say an ALL original 57 Corvette Fuelie would bring more money than an 2008 model...I do not really think this thinking would apply to MC boats...Tastes and what is popular in boating and water sports have changed over the years....not so much with automobiles.....
This is one thing I love about boats...they are not cars.

There is also a point of diminishing returns with an older MC project boat...you would just have to find the right buyer who is willing to pay more than you have in it and I probably still would not sell mine...;)

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
There is also a point of diminishing returns with an older MC project boat...you would just have to find the right buyer who is willing to pay more than you have in it and I probably still would not sell mine
Good thoughts. In reference to above, this is why I did the poll. Didn't cost me a thing either. Not everyone can afford a $50K+ boat, but everyone probably wants too. Just picking brains!
N

Jim@BAWS
01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Your poll is slanted. There is no such a thing as a NO TIME 1980. A 1980 MasterCraft Skier will forever be a 1980 MC Skier. If a MC floats and runs its worth 5K. 7K MAX. And that is trully double what it is probably worth. Just because you put a new motor in it does not increase the value if the old motor was fine. EX You purchase a 1980 MC skier for $500. Add a Motor valued at $10K. That does not mean that you have a $10000 boat. Maintance and upkeep keep the boat valued at Market Value. People get confused with keeping a boat up that is somehow increases the value WAY OVER book value. A well maintained boat is worth more. But not Double or Triple its value.

Sorry its still a 1980. If you find a buyer that finds he has value in a 300HP motor in that boat and wants to spend 25K...take the money and run

Jim@BAWS

coz
01-22-2008, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Slinkyredfoot]
This is one thing I love about boats...they are not cars.
:D

JohnE
01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I voted $10 - $15K, but it would be closer to $10K.

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Your poll is slanted.......
This is coming from a MC salesman,.........just checkin.

JEREMY79
01-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you just need to buy mine. I have done everything you mentioned and more.

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you just need to buy mine. I have done everything you mentioned and more.
Hey that is NICE. What is under the cover? Not looking to buy but rather keep myself busy, create a nice product, and stay outta da bars. I could name it "Re-Mastered Craft". Wonder if there is any name infringement there???

Slinkyredfoot
01-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Right on Daddy-00, but I still would not sell mine....:D

Jim@BAWS
01-22-2008, 09:48 PM
This is coming from a MC salesman,.........just checkin.

Just a little more than that. Let's deal with reality here.

A 1980 Valued at 5K+ That is a hell of alot better than anything else out there at that age.

Slinkyredfoot
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Jim@BAWS]Just a little more than that. Let's deal with reality here.

A 1980 Valued at 5K+ That is a hell of alot better than anything else out there at that age.[/QUOT

Or how about a 79SS I bought for $9500 brand new turned down $10gs for last summer, not to mention ALL of our enjoyment over the years with this classic....something just does not seem right here....;)

Monte
01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I'd say spot on perfect.. 10-12 max.... And I mean perfect... That is not me paying for it, but I've seen it go close on ebay..

It will always be worth more to you.. Especially since you are doing all the work..

BrandonKTM
01-23-2008, 12:00 AM
There is something to say about the S&S. Mine I can steer with ONE finger, and can do skiing 360's around boat with just a slight lift (by observer) of the rope over the windshield. Try that with the new 75K 40th anniv 190 or any other new MC. The new ones do have nicer rides though hands down, so we just go at dawn!

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Just a little more than that. Let's deal with reality here.

I remember when we had this conversation once before, Jim. :)

IMO, selling a boat of a certain vintage is pretty much like selling most vintage items. If it's in good shape, what you have going for you as a seller is that MC isn't making any more of them. Of course, what works against you in this specific scenario, is that, unlike, 93, 98, 2003, for example, MC mad a lot of S&S through 85. The other thing to consider is that you need to get lucky with the right buyer, that is, the buyer who is looking for exactly what you're selling.

For the most part, Jim is right. If you look at this from a practical perspective, they'll never be worth more than X. But what if Johnny comes along and he recalls fondly skiing behind his dad's 1980 S&S in the early 80s. And let's say your boat looks just like that one. It's got hours on the hull, but you've just overhauled the engine. And it's got a new carb on it. Yeah, sure a 1980 S&S needs a carb to work, but there's value in the fact that it's not going on 30 years old. Maybe the upholstery's new. Sure, it pretty much needs upholstery, but it's new. A boat that has had the improvements done that would otherwise cost the buyer to do himself has value to some people, especially those who are looking for something somewhat unique and who don't want to do the heavy lifting.

If the boat is worth X to a buyer, then it's worth X, be it a practical assessment of value or not. If a boat is worth X to a seller and he won't sell for less than that, then that's what it costs.

shepherd
01-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I gotta agree with most here. It's still an '80 S&S no matter what you do to it. As the breed evolved the ski boats got better - better engines/transmissions, better instrumentation, better skiing performance, better styling, more room, etc. "Classic" boats don't do as well on the market as classic airplanes and cars.

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
I gotta agree with most here. It's still an '80 S&S no matter what you do to it. As the breed evolved the ski boats got better - better engines/transmissions, better instrumentation, better skiing performance, better styling, more room, etc. "Classic" boats don't do as well on the market as classic airplanes and cars.

Hey, it just takes the right buyer looking for what you're selling ...

Or how about a 79SS I bought for $9500 brand new turned down $10gs for last summer, not to mention ALL of our enjoyment over the years with this classic....something just does not seem right here....;)

BrandonKTM
01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
You have a nice idea there Learjet. They do that with old Ford tractors. There are several companies that specialize in basically rebuilding them back to new. They sell as fast as they can finish them. Why? Because the performance is basic. Pulling a plow or mowing or whatever. The new tractors cost 25-50k and you can buy a rebuilt one for 10k or less. The same concept applies to the old boats. Most people are looking for basic boats, learn to ski, tube, party, etc. and even more people do not have the $ for new ones. Why do you think SeaDoos took off. Less than 10k for a top of the line machine. Get to the party,get on the lake, ski, board, the only way is used for a lot of people. Gonna jump in?

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 12:32 AM
You have a nice idea there Learjet. They do that with old Ford tractors. There are several companies that specialize in basically rebuilding them back to new. They sell as fast as they can finish them. Why? Because the performance is basic. Pulling a plow or mowing or whatever. The new tractors cost 25-50k and you can buy a rebuilt one for 10k or less. The same concept applies to the old boats. Most people are looking for basic boats, learn to ski, tube, party, etc. and even more people do not have the $ for new ones. Why do you think SeaDoos took off. Less than 10k for a top of the line machine. Get to the party,get on the lake, ski, board, the only way is used for a lot of people. Gonna jump in?

Another example of this.

www.wagonmaster.com

By the time I got mine running near perfect, I'd spent what I could've bought one from him.

//edit. I take it back. I didn't spend even close to what that guy wants.

shepherd
01-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Hey, it just takes the right buyer looking for what you're selling ...

Good point. I was going to vote for $10-15K, but the talk on this board convinced me to go lower!

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
I didn't vote. I've got to see myself as a buyer. Since the early 80s aren't the ones I've always gravitated toward, I'd probably be in the lower range. Make it a red 93 or 94, and my practical side takes lunch.

h2oskifreak
01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Voted 10-15, but think closer to 12K. Mine is a 75' & I love the look & nostalga, but when I run 35' this year it's time to get more performance. I am not sayin I will let her go though. (No wife to tell me I can't have 3 boats).

6ballsisall
01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Lear, just like you did in the aircraft business there is probably a market for a vintage S&S that is beyond cherry. Albeit, it's a small market. I am sure if you took an 80's S&S and made it completely new again you could bring 10k+ for it, 15-18k could be a stretch. You'd end up with a buyer a lot like your aircraft days, someone with a thick wallet that remembered having or skiing behind an old MC "back in the day" and wanted something to remember it by.

Maristar210
01-23-2008, 07:04 AM
I'll trade my '77 Trans Am - EVEN UP

H20skeefreek
01-23-2008, 08:15 AM
I voted 10-15k, but that would have to be PERFECT, and no carb. With a modern fuel injected motor, and not a single knick anywhere, perfect gel etc....
And I wouldn't buy anything older than '83 for stringer reasons. I paid 7k for mine, and it's in pretty darn good shape, I shoulda payed 6k for it, but I had the fever. It's got some knicks in the gel, and it'd cost me a couple of grand to have it re-gelled, and only that cheap b/c I'm in the marine industry....guess what, I'm not doing it. It doesn't need to be perfect. I just needed an inexpensive, paid off, nice slalom tug.

Most people that are buying this boat are buying it b/c it has an awsome wake and they can't afford a newer boat. I LOVE the looks of the S&S, but if I could have, I'd have boat a new boat and made it look like an S&S. I don't think buying this boat for nostalgic reasons wouldn't happen very often. It's a slalom machine, mostly owned by course skiers. Someone buying it as a collector, is not likely to be using it for that, and they aren't good for much else. I take mine out to a public lake to cruise around a tube maybe once per year.

ski_king
01-23-2008, 08:29 AM
I started off by thinking, "Why not make a new hull and deck and get a "Completly New" S&S. While I am sure the orginal molds have long since been destroyed, a new mold could be reverse engineered from an existing hull (think the old Ski Brendella)............

But with that said, why not make a better hull, 1993, 2008, ????.......

In the end, cost would be prohibitive.

As an example, you can go out and buy a brand new 57 Chevy Convertable for $180,000. buy why???????
http://www.1957chevybody.com/

ShamrockIV
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I had an 84 and loved it!!
wish i still had it!!!

454Prostar190
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I feel really good now! :) I got my '82 7 years ago for $9,500 and it came with ski's, wake boards, barefoot boom, fat sacks, life jackets etc. and all it needed was a little TLC i.e.: reupholster the rear seat, a good polish and clean up the teak deck. It runs fantastic and sounds cool! I didn't realize at the time that it was so special with the 425/454 and slot but, I did know that it was the former Marineworld Africa USA/Coca Cola tow boat and was just looking for some fun!
You all here at TT have been great and I have learned more about my S and S in the last year than I ever knew! Thanks, Rick

oldriver
01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Anything is worth just what someone will give you for it ......Not a penny more and not a penny less.
Just my 2 pennies worth

loeweb
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
10-15 for me. I like the nostalgic look also. no garbage. Carb the engine so I can attempt to work on it. Put a decent radio in it would be the only option I would want. Tell me it will run like a striped a$$ ape and not give me any big problems, that is the biggest thing with any purchase like this. I would want to use it not let it sit.

TMCNo1
01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Build one, take it to the Barrett-Jackson auction and see what it brings, then you have somewhat of a benchmark price to start with.

DemolitionMan
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I think I will take mine lol.

454Prostar190
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey Yellow78, I've checked out your pictures before and your S and S is beautiful! Nice to be a proud owner of some "old school" technology isn't it! Rick

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
That is SHARP! Did you re-gel coat it or is that paint?

DemolitionMan
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Paint and wax thats all it takes. Its been that way for six years.

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
What kind of paint and did you clear it?

DemolitionMan
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Im trying to think it has been so long now. The colors are supra white and gm competion yellow with yellow pearl. The boat has 5 coats of clear on it. So does the trailer.

DemolitionMan
01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I cant believe that there are 3 people that think s@s are not worth any thing.

ski_king
01-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I cant believe that there are 3 people that think s@s are not worth any thing.
Well, one is a X-80 owner and the S&S is probably much too small for him. One is a diehard barefooter and has taken too many face plants.
The other guy, I can't understand why he would think that.....

454Prostar190
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
YellowMC, whatever they think...... I still hold my head up high!!! lol

DemolitionMan
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I love the new boats. But there is something about the way a s@s sounds. When ever you see one on the water it makes you do a double take because of the stars.

Slinkyredfoot
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I love the new boats. But there is something about the way a s@s sounds. When ever you see one on the water it makes you do a double take because of the stars.

I agree with everything you say y78, and may I add.....

there is truly not a more durable, finer, quick, agile boat, that is very maintainence friendly, than an older Stars and Stripes MasterCrafts.

A true hot rod of the day that adapted itself well to what was popular in skiing and boating in the 70s and 80s.

If you have never driven one do...

If you own one , well...I consider myself lucky....

ProTour X9
01-23-2008, 09:01 PM
S&S's rock, but I don't like this thread.

Slinkyredfoot
01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
:confused: S&S's rock, but I don't like this thread.
:confused: ..................

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
S&S's rock, but I don't like this thread.
Might I ask why? And how do you like your dad's boat?!

ProTour X9
01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't mean to start anything, if thats a rhetorical question, maybe I don't get your point when you're gonna remake/build a boat. EDIT What I mean is what would make it better than a normal used boat in mint condition??

brat
01-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I think people see Barrett Jackson and what those RESTORED cars go for and think maybe an S & S might have the same type of appeal .......

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't mean to start anything, if thats a rhetorical question, maybe I don't get your point when you're gonna remake/build a boat. EDIT What I mean is what would make it better than a normal used boat in mint condition??
Its pretty obvious you dont get the point. You haven't been alive long enough to really appreciate things of old, and that is not anything against you. I'm not really even old enough for that. But if I was my fathers age (64), I'd be kicking myself. He is buying all kinds of "old" stuff that is now considered collectable. He has a 46 Farmall Tractor that is completely restored. He has a 46 Chris Craft Capri that he restored. 30 years ago these were a dime a dozen. In 1963, Chevy made a Corvette with a split window. Only year they made it. He bought one in 1985 for my mom's anniversay for 12K cash. It was all original. He kept it until it turned an antique (25 years, 1988), and sold it for 24K cash. But today he kicks himself for selling the car. It is probably worth 50-60K. What my point is, there are still quite a few S&S's out there. Some in great shape, some in average shape, and some that have been in a field on a trailer for several years. Before we know it they are going to become rarer and rarer, and soon GONE. If we can get 20-30 of them out there cherried out, what will they be worth as the supply dwindles. Take for instance the 1963 Chevy Corvette Gran Sport. Most probably have never heard of it. I think they made 100 or so. They had a 377 in them and a 4 speed and were basically a race car. Well if you own a true Gran Sport today, you are loaded. They wrecked them all in races. Non left to be had! This would not be an ordinary boat. It will be an original hull, with the modern day reliability. Some will shoot that idea down and say go original and stock. Lets face it, there are good people and skier type people out there that just cant afford a new MC. I sure cant! I got an old semi-decrepid 88. It suits me well though. Interior needs re-done, etc...But I got small kids, and they damned sure are gonna learn to respect a decrepid boat before daddy sinks his heart and soul into one that has been redone.
Reminds me of another story......Way back when a fellow was in an entreprenurial class in college. The class was tasked to write a business plan for a mock company, or one they envisioned. This gentleman wrote his paper, handed it, and failed. The instructor told him it was terrible, and would never work. This person turned out to be Fredrick W. Smith.......His idea was FedEx!

Slinkyredfoot
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I voted $30K plus because my stock portfolio has done so well in the last couple of weeks......I got money to burn..8p

brat
01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I voted $30K plus because my stock portfolio has done so well in the last couple of weeks......I got money to burn..8p

Did you invest in those Dale Earnhardt collector plates too ?;)

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 10:07 PM
No, but I bet he has a garage full of clappers

SkiDog
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Ah hell, I voted for the $30,000 plus, just cause I could! It would have to have a bevy of babes come with it for me to pay that much for a S&S!:D

Slinkyredfoot
01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
No, just threw my darts at the board and then went to Pricilla's with my loevly lady....

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Its pretty obvious you dont get the point. You haven't been alive long enough to really appreciate things of old, and that is not anything against you. I'm not really even old enough for that. But if I was my fathers age (64), I'd be kicking myself. He is buying all kinds of "old" stuff that is now considered collectable. He has a 46 Farmall Tractor that is completely restored. He has a 46 Chris Craft Capri that he restored. 30 years ago these were a dime a dozen. In 1963, Chevy made a Corvette with a split window. Only year they made it. He bought one in 1985 for my mom's anniversay for 12K cash. It was all original. He kept it until it turned an antique (25 years, 1988), and sold it for 24K cash. But today he kicks himself for selling the car. It is probably worth 50-60K. What my point is, there are still quite a few S&S's out there. Some in great shape, some in average shape, and some that have been in a field on a trailer for several years. Before we know it they are going to become rarer and rarer, and soon GONE. If we can get 20-30 of them out there cherried out, what will they be worth as the supply dwindles. Take for instance the 1963 Chevy Corvette Gran Sport. Most probably have never heard of it. I think they made 100 or so. They had a 377 in them and a 4 speed and were basically a race car. Well if you own a true Gran Sport today, you are loaded. They wrecked them all in races. Non left to be had! This would not be an ordinary boat. It will be an original hull, with the modern day reliability. Some will shoot that idea down and say go original and stock. Lets face it, there are good people and skier type people out there that just cant afford a new MC. I sure cant! I got an old semi-decrepid 88. It suits me well though. Interior needs re-done, etc...But I got small kids, and they damned sure are gonna learn to respect a decrepid boat before daddy sinks his heart and soul into one that has been redone.

I'll post it again, just because I think it is comparable as far as what NADA says and what it can be sold for. Also comparable in age.

www.wagonmaster.com

brat
01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
WOW !!!

I guess it takes all kinds .......

learjet2230
01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Jeep CJ's are the same way. Even more sought after right now are the old Scrambler's or CJ8's

88 PS190
01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
We have a few John Deere tractors (A and B) and an Old Farmall, with tractors you can buy a good example for far less than fixing it up yourself provided you aren't looking for a super rare tractor. With an early A tractor you're looking at spending 2500 for a perfect example with the spoked wheels, if you find one of them rusty, rotten tires, doesn't run you'll still spend 1200 on it. And getting the tires is going to take up a large percentage of the budget if you want to make up the money. There just isn't enough value to be gained.

Same goes for Mercedes Benz cars, you can buy a clean example for about 6-8 grand. Basketcases are still 1-2 grand and will take the better part of 3 grand and alot of time to get into the same shape as just buying a clean one.

Porsche 356's, you can find plenty of them fully restored for far less cost than it takes to take a basketcase and restore one properly.

In each of these cases there is absolutely NO reason to buy the unrestored one unless you do not want to make money, and do really want to preserve the vehicle to make sure it doesn't rot into oblivion.

From all the MC Stars and Stripes I've seen you come out further ahead buying a clean one in the fall when people try to sell their boats, polish it, wash the carpet, touch up the paint on the manifolds charge the battery, and wait till spring. Sell it and you'll make some profit, particularly if you buy the boat in say MI and sell it to someone in a warmer area. In which case people who live in the south are used to these boats having far more hours than they do up in the north.

The real magic of these boats is that you can buy one for 6 grand in good shape, use it for 3 years doing only minor repair work and polishing it, and you can get your 6 grand out of it at the end.

Where as if you buy a new boat you will be losing that 6 grand every year.

If you plan on making money on these things it really will be buy, wash, sell. Because you can find examples that don't need the mechanical work for not much more than basketcase examples.

DemolitionMan
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Good point. I know I have a lot more money in redoing my boat then I would ever get out of it, but I have had it for eight years. So its a lot less than a new one and my boat usually turns some heads. I do really like that silver metal flake x14 that master craft has on the home page wouldnt mine having that.

454Prostar190
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
yellow78, You may have spent more money than you will get out of it but, all of that money spent comes with pride in what you have accomplished. With that said..... and it happens to me.... When someone in a brand new totally tricked out boat checks you out and makes a comment like "Nice boat!" it makes it all totally worth it! Am I wrong? lol Rick

learjet2230
01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
When someone in a brand new totally tricked out boat checks you out and makes a comment like "Nice boat!" it makes it all totally worth it!
Worth at least another 10K, almost priceless. I can see a SWEET MasterCard commercial there.

454Prostar190
01-25-2008, 11:57 AM
It's definitely worth something! Fortunately they didn't see me drooling over their totally tricked out boat! lol

wgwollet
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
LearJet:

You could be right on old items being common before they get rare (like Corvettes or Ford 8N tractors). I am big on looking at those things. I bought a 1975 Corvette Convertible (actually a ugly car) in 1988, only made a few and kept it. Also have a 1966 Airstream Bambi trailer, very collectable.

Here is the major problem, supply and demand......Old Corvette lovers are out there now, maybe SS lovers are small now, but in 10 years or less, I can see nice SS bringing 15k+.

Here is the deal, certain parts of the US, where the SS was popular (like the state of MI), I seen SS for 3k-5k, buy them up (storage is a factor), trailer is not a big deal, 351 Fords are cheap. Then start simple restoration (be wise on what you buy, buy in the fall), keep boats orginal, less frills is fine, I think the 25-40 years old will beat your door down in 10 years, WHY?, because 10-15k+ is no money for a boat in 10 years......or more....look at what ski boats cost, plus people buy boats (I am talking average Joe's here) as a luxury, they buy and then sale they have a kid, house other needs and the boat becomes a liability. So it is possible to sell easy to these people.

Bill

ProTour X9
01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
What my point is, there are still quite a few S&S's out there. Some in great shape, some in average shape, and some that have been in a field on a trailer for several years. Before we know it they are going to become rarer and rarer, and soon GONE. If we can get 20-30 of them out there cherried out, what will they be worth as the supply dwindles. ............................. Some will shoot that idea down and say go original and stock. Lets face it, there are good people and skier type people out there that just cant afford a new MC. I sure cant! I got an old semi-decrepid 88. It suits me well though. Interior needs re-done, etc...But I got small kids, and they damned sure are gonna learn to respect a decrepid boat before daddy sinks his heart and soul into one that has been redone.

So your looking for a buyer that skis, appreciates the MC's hull (quality etc.), who'd rather not have a Moomba or other cheap brand.

1988 S&S??? Anniversary Boat??

learjet2230
01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
So your looking for a buyer that skis, appreciates the MC's hull (quality etc.), who'd rather not have a Moomba or other cheap brand.

1988 S&S??? Anniversary Boat??
I'm not following ya there:confused:

88 PS190
01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm not following ya there:confused:

He's saying you are banking on buyers who already are in love with MC brand, will pay for your updates. And likes the style and look of a classic.

Kreegs
02-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Lear

You mean something like this

TMCNo1
02-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Lear

You mean something like this

I swear that's still one of the sweetest MC's I've ever seen!:D

We hope mom and dad are doing well!

barefoot
02-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I see your argument. And I understand it. I think you’re ahead of the curve. Someday, older S&S will be worth more then you pay today. Why? Because they will be harder to find. The value of money will increase. The resale value of newer boats will be higher. So, ya, 5-10 years from now there might be a bigger market for a S&S that are mint. I don’t think that time is now…

I know why I bought my ’83 S&S. I wanted a competition ski boat. I wanted an MC. I had a budget. It was the right price. Flip side was it took me 3 years to find what I wanted with all the options. When I found it, it was easy to pay the price I did.

My thought….buy ‘em cheap now. Store them. Fix ‘em over time. You’ll make a little money. Then again, it’s not the business plan you’re proposing. Maybe the option is there if you find the person who’s willing to pay FIRST and then restore the boat to match their expectations. You have the mechanical aptitude to do the work. Just get them to lock in a contract for the right price and do the work after. That’s the hot ticket.

gigem75
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
All I know is that when I go to the island where everyone on the lake hangs out since I got my 83PS19 it seems that people tend to gravitate towards it. I can reach my ice chest with out having to climb 4ft over the gunnel sp? to get to it and whatever else I need. Easy to drive and love the sound.