PDA

View Full Version : Fine dining at your local gas station?

captain planet
01-22-2008, 05:19 PM
It has been brought to my attention by a fellow Team Talker that you can find, ahem......, "fine cuisine" at a place called "Sheetz", a local gas station chain.

Now I don't know about you, but "Sheetz" sounds like what you would get after eating ANYTHING that was prepared at a gas station. Supposedly they have something called a "schbagel" which is a "Sheetz" bagel. It has egg, cheese, and bacon. Sounds good, but at a gas station? Sorry JK, but I'm running for the hills on this one.

BrianM
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Come to south Louisiana. Lots of good eats at gas stations around here. One of the local stand-bys for a good shrimp po-boy is at a local gas station chain.

H20BOY
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Here in Fort Worth there is a restaurant in a gas station that is wonderful. Their slogan is "Five Star dining in a gas station"

Sodar
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
FUNNY STORY!

My local Mobil station when I was living at school had "Mobil Mexican Food Restaurant" within the gas station. To this day, they are still the best burritos I have eaten and there was nothing better than being able to get a burrito and a tank of gas on the parents gas card without them knowing!! :D :D

east tx skier
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
It may be a Chevron thing as well.

"The Blue Store" Chevron station on Hwy 155 in Noonday, Texas has exceptional burgers.

Another Chevron on Hwy 79 south of Loop 256 in Palestine, Texas has, I'm told, fantastic BBQ.

tex
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Here in Fort Worth there is a restaurant in a gas station that is wonderful. Their slogan is "Five Star dining in a gas station"
http://www.chefpointcafe.org/home.nxg

TMCNo1
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
You can view their website here, http://www.sheetz.com/main/ .
You can order food on their touch screen monitors at the pump while your filling up and pick the food up when you pay for your gas. Check out the menu! Some of the best biscuit, muffin, crossiant, bagel breakfast sandwiches you can get, made to order. They have their own fresh made cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls w/creme cheese icing, plus a full fresh Krispy Kreme station and as big of a coffee selection as Starbucks.
Our local Sheetz has 18 fuel pumps. and they keep all the other local stations down in price where ever they are.

H20BOY
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Tex, have you eaten at Chef Pointe?

tex
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm ashamed to say no...I live right around the corner and have always heard great things about it. I will check it out asap!

BrianM
01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
While we are posting links, Here is our local gas/food. Good stuff.

http://www.dannyandclydes.com/

Covi
01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
tex / BrianM, you're killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

beef
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Royal Farms, baby! Got a magic sub machine just like Sheetz. Touch the screen - out pops a sub. They're really not bad.

One GS entre that I didn't have the cajones to try was at a Mobil station in Memphis that had a neon "Sushi" sign in the window. :eek:

tex
01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
tex / BrianM, you're killing me!!!!!!!!!!!
What??????????

ski_king
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
There is a Sheetz right next to where I work and I eat there at least 3 days a week. I had about everything on the menu. Some good, some bad. Some gives me a case of the Sheetz.

Breakfast sandwhiches are better than Micky D's.

It is a local chain headquartered out of Altoona PA and apparantly have moved far enough south for Harold to give it a try.

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Many stations in this part of the country have great BBQ, may just be that Texas has great BBQ even at gas stations????

TMCNo1
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
There is a Sheetz right next to where I work and I eat there at least 3 days a week. I had about everything on the menu. Some good, some bad. Some gives me a case of the Sheetz.

Breakfast sandwhiches are better than Micky D's.

It is a local chain headquartered out of Altoona PA and apparantly have moved far enough south for Harold to give it a try.

One thing about Sheetz is some locations have dining rooms, others don't, like ours. They do have 2 big powderedcoated steel tables withbuilt in benches outside the entrance to the store under the canopy, but are only usable during nice weather. Most times we get breakfast is on the way to the lake when getting gas and then eat on the lake in the boat. It doesn't get any better than that!

Slinkyredfoot
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
We got this little place at the lake we frequent called the "Munch Box"..

The place no longer sells gas but has the best breakfast...2 eggs any style, 5 strips of bacon, hash, grits, toast, and coffee $5.95...how can they stay in business....must be the handful of dollars we always tip the young harbodied watresses...who knows but it tastes and looks great....

jkski
01-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Captn'
I knew it was only a matter of time until this question/your doubt appeared as a thread on this board! So, from what it looks like in terms of responses, once again, I am not alone in my ways of thinking.... Sooner or later your "superhero" ways will permit you to stop drinking nothing but Starbucks coffee and join the rest of us on the other side of the tracks as we indulge in cuisine from our local gas stations!
Always a pleasure working the boat show with you and eating the quality food of Donte's at 11pm!!!

TMCNo1
01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I think the food/fuel combo is great! Either way you get gas! You can't beat the 93 octane onions they use!

ski_king
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I havn't gotten gas there since they took chile off the menu.

TMCNo1
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I havn't gotten gas there since they took chile off the menu.

Have you tried this new item. At least at our store it is awesome! Better than the ones at the Fair!

pilot02
01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey Brian, what about the Check In Check Outs in Slidell?? They've got awesome shrimp po-boys!!!

ski_king
01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Have you tried this new item. At least at our store it is awesome! Better than the ones at the Fair!
I tried it 3 times so far.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 6. I got it with roasted pepper and onions.

I will try one more time with maranara sause also, then add it to the list not to order again.

captain planet
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Captn'
I knew it was only a matter of time until this question/your doubt appeared as a thread on this board! So, from what it looks like in terms of responses, once again, I am not alone in my ways of thinking.... Sooner or later your "superhero" ways will permit you to stop drinking nothing but Starbucks coffee and join the rest of us on the other side of the tracks as we indulge in cuisine from our local gas stations!
Always a pleasure working the boat show with you and eating the quality food of Donte's at 11pm!!!
First, I would have to stop drinking coffee all together before I will stop drinking Starbucks. Anyway, I never though this would get this much attention on the board. Maybe I'll try Sheetz "schbagel" sometime. I'll let you know what I think. I kind of like my rasin-bran at home in the morning.

Always a pleasure working with you at the boat show as well. After having Donte's Pizza for three days straight, I have just today lost the taste of garlic when I wake up.

ski_king
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM
...........Maybe I'll try Sheetz "schbagel" sometime............
Try a Schmisket, it is better than a schbagel.......