PDA

View Full Version : Is this '93 PS190 worth it?

gimmemoedmb
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I had planned on buying a boat this spring but I found this '93 PS190 with 700 hrs so I was hoping I could save some money buying it in the off season.

First, a little about what I'm looking for. I had originally wanted a '94 or '95 205 but had kind of decided on the 190 to save a little money. I would really like an open bow and I also want to do some wakeboarding again (although skiing is still #1 priority) plus it's a little more ideal for cruising so I thought the 205 would be perfect...but they are also a little more money and harder to find. The other issue I have is my garage is 21 ft deep so I would have to have a swing away tongue and also remove the swim platform to put it away and I am not going to let my boat sit outside. I figure factoring in the money and my garage the 190 would still be a good choice for me, knowing that I plan on upgrading to a 197 in 5 years or so. I'm also very aware that I could easily fall in love with the 190 and be glad I chose it over the 205.

So this 190 is what I'm looking for. It's black (my first color choice) with only 700 hrs and has the LT-1 engine. The LT-1 isn't a huge deal to me besides the fact that it looks sweet, but I do also intend to take up barefooting so it could be nice in the long run. He said he would take $12k for it and assuming it's in great condition as he says, that sounds like a good deal to me. I would think that boat up here in MN would be around the 14-15k mark this spring/summer when I want to buy?

However there are a few issues for me. Now if this boat was for sale here in MN and I had a chance to drive it I would be all over it, but it's 13-14 hrs away. It is also about 0 degrees here right now so I would have to get the boat winterized before I brought it back up here which isn't a huge deal but just an additional pain. The other thing I hate is that when I get to these northern states there will be salt all over the roads and getting all over the boat, not to mention slush and dirt depending on when the last time it was it snowed.

So...I'm just looking for a little advice from the knowledgeable TT members on if this is worth it or if I should pass on this one. I would like the advice assuming the boat is in the great condition the seller says it is, and I would have him take a bunch more pictures and maybe if I'm lucky have a TT member in the area check it out for me before I make the drive to make sure it's in the condition he says.

Sorry for the lengthy post...any help would be appreciated!

Matt

east tx skier
01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Sounds like a great boat for me. Open bows are overrated, although the 1st Gen. 205 is probably my favorite open bow. But for me, I'd take the storage off the closed bow every time. I don't think the 205 through 95 had much if any better rough water ride than the 190 through 94. LT1 with 700 hours is barely broken in and $12K is a good price, assuming it's well maintained, for one of the best slalom hulls ever created.

Just drain the block and pull the hoses and you'll be good to go. Scrub it down before you put it away to get the grime off.

When I sold my 93 205, both the seller and me drove around 900 miles to meet in the middle.

Go for it!

JohnE
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Seems like a really good deal if it is what he says it is.

T Scott
01-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Heck, I'll knock $1000 off my asking price .......spend $13,500 and buy my cherry 1996 Prostar 190 with only 332 hours. Absolutely immaculate condition and it has much more interior room than the 1993. Florida is nice this time of year.....come on down!!

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1747&cat=5

ShamrockIV
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Open bow is the way to go if you have the need for it.
Storage is nice but hard to fit family in one.
If you have the want or need for open bow i would hold off and find one!!
If you settle for a closed you might not be happy plus you might be stuck with it when that open bow comes along!!!!

The one you describe sounds good though!!!!!

Ben
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Open bow is the way to go if you have the need for it.
Storage is nice but hard to fit family in one.
If you have the want or need for open bow i would hold off and find one!!
If you settle for a closed you might not be happy plus you might be stuck with it when that open bow comes along!!!!

The one you describe sounds good though!!!!!

Agree - if you're planning to sell in 5 yrs, open bow will be easier to unload.

Also agree on previous comment to drain the block (and exhaust manifolds), pull the hoses & you'll be ok, if you get the boat you have in mind. Make sure you have a good trailerable cover to tow it home.

I didn't see much difference in pricing where we are at between spring and fall. If someone wants to sell a boat, they want to sell a boat.

ShamrockIV
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks ben!!
i agree i just sold(SAT) a closed bow!! they are a bear to sell!!

not sure of your family/passenger situation but now that i have a family and do not just use the boat as a floating bar/chick magnet extra room is good!!!!!!!

Also for all you single guys!!! Chicks dig boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take my advise NEVER EVER settle!!!!!
Life is too short not to get what you want the first time!!!!!

oldriver
01-22-2008, 10:23 AM
you need to talk to T Scott.Get a cheap flight and ski and drive the boat.there might be a cheap storage option there and you could pick up later and make a nice trip out of it.There is a market for the closed bow boats.If it takes a little longer to sell so be it ,just ski it a little longer.There will always be a lot of us purists out there looking.This will get you a first hand look at a beautiful boat .............

ShamrockIV
01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
purist? oldriver that hurts. are u saying since i can fit all 4 of my kids and my wife into a closed bow i am a left wing liberal non wakterskier?
please say it isn't so!!!

yippikaiyay
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
gimmemoedmb,
Only you know how well the 190 is going to fit your plans, ie its seating capacity, wakeboarding, future-resale etc. If slalom is 90% of what you want it for, I'd continue looking at buying, but if you're on the fence at all - find a 205. It might take a while, but it'd be worth it in the long run.
And, if you do end up getting this 190, I'd get a professional shrinkwrap on it before transporting during the winter......
Good luck!

BrianM
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a good deal. Don't let a 14-15 hour ride discourage you for the right boat. I drove 10 to get mine and sold my '85 to someone that drove 14 for it. And as said above if you are considering closed bow the '96 that T Scott has is going to have some more room plus you get a trip to Florida to go see it.

ShamrockIV
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
i agree with brian!!! road trip!!!!

Sodar
01-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Heck, I'll knock $1000 off my asking price .......spend $13,500 and buy my cherry 1996 Prostar 190 with only 332 hours. Absolutely immaculate condition and it has much more interior room than the 1993. Florida is nice this time of year.....come on down!!

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1747&cat=5

Sweet Boat Tom! Love the colors... you don't see many 96's with black and grey!

Muttley
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
If the boat is in good shape, it sounds like a road trip is in order. It's okay, tho'. It's all part of the adventure.

As others have said, make sure it's what you want. If you want a 205, wait for it. I got a screamin' deal on mine after a 3 1/2 month search and an 8 hour drive (including the border). I love it! You don't even notice two extra people!

As for transporting it, the shrink wrap and is a good idea, and just drain the block. Remember, all that mud and salt will wash off.

oldriver
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
No Shamrock,I think its great.Just dont like anyone in front of me when im driving.
I also had a 10 hour drive to get my boat so if ya see what you like go for it.........

ShamrockIV
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
ah it is not bad!!!! the room is great!!!!

mayo93prostar
01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
93 with 700 hrs with LT1 in good shape at that price is reasonable. I have a 93 with two boys and we love it. I paid a little less but it does not have LT1 and I had to do some work on it.

gimmemoedmb
01-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I really have to decide if the 190 would be settling or not because I'm not one to settle. I've been wanting a 205 for a few years but then I drove a 190 last year and the closed bow wasn't nearly as bad as I thought (it had been many years since I had been in a closed bow before that). I really think I would be happy with the 190 but I don't know if I would wish I had the open bow. I don't have kids, it would just be friends sitting up front when cruising. I plan to eventually have kids but by that time I would probably be onto a new boat. Even if I do get a new one I don't even know if I would sell the old one anyway. It's hard to speculate what I want to do in the future so I'm just going to go with what best suits me now and I'll figure out what happens in the future then because things always change anyway.

And just to verify...the 205 with a swingaway tongue and swim platform removed would fit in a 21 ft deep garage? I believe I would have a few inches to spare but if not then that would be a deciding factor because I can't add onto my garage and I don't want my boat sitting outside.

I really have no problems driving to get a boat. I love roadtrips and a boat would be a great excuse for one. I was just a little hesitant doing it in the winter with all of the salt on the roads up here because I'm anal about my things. As for Florida...that's a little more than I want to do right now but come spring time I could easily be up for it.

I've got some more thinking to do. Again...thanks for all of the great advice! Whether it's 5 days from now or 5 months from now I will eventually have my boat and I will be sure to post pictures because I know how much we all love pictures...

6ballsisall
01-23-2008, 01:45 AM
gimme:

FWIW, I've had 2 PS190's (ok, one was a Skier 19) and an X7. I am not sold on the open bow in a small direct drive. The nose dips easily, especially with peeps up front. Like East TX, I am all about the 190. You get more storage area with the PS190 (which the 205 lacks since it doesn't have the rear ski locker) and you won't worry as much about dipping the nose.
If I knew we'd have water to play on around ATL and I wasn't seriously contemplate making an extremely large investment I'd be all over that boat of T Scotts....... IMHO, the 95-97 PS190 was the best all around Prostar

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.waterskiboat.net/Listings/Detail.tpl?command=search&db=catalog.txt&eqskudatarq=27-789610-3&cart=3401733806112285
there ya go

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=68444

dunno if this one is still avalable

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
nm last one is sold all i had to do was read down whoops

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/539479179.html

6ballsisall
01-23-2008, 02:04 AM
http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/539479179.html

One could make an educated guess that boat has seen saltwater. It's in Charleston, SC and is on a Galvanized trailer. Not trying to talk anyone out of it, just sayin........

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 02:06 AM
yeah im just trying to get his hopes up lol the first one doesnt look bad tho

cbryan70
01-23-2008, 02:09 AM
http://www.waterskiboat.net/Listings/Detail.tpl?command=search&db=catalog.txt&eqskudatarq=27-789610-3&cart=3401733806112285
there ya go

if i hd the money and this was for real i would be jumping on it

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Here's another in Houston, but for a bit more $$.

http://www.houstonboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=46

BrianM
01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Here's another in Houston, but for a bit more $$.

http://www.houstonboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=46

That is an extremely rare limited edition Mastercraft Prostar 206 :rolleyes:

gimmemoedmb
01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
You get more storage area with the PS190 (which the 205 lacks since it doesn't have the rear ski locker)

Thanks for the input jrandol. Even with my years of browsing on this site, I never realized the 205 didn't have a rear storage locker. Where is this on the 190 and why isn't it on the 205? Doesn't the 205 have some floor storage between the driver and observer seat?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately that 205 for $10k is too good to be true. I do like the color of the boat T. Scott has but I'm pretty set on either black or red.

loeweb
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
the rare 206 adds about an inch in the rear from multiple coats of teak oil and sealer that are applied in the factory. Or maybe it is an added inch up front because of the multiple dock brushings that added some length.

etduc
01-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the input jrandol. Even with my years of browsing on this site, I never realized the 205 didn't have a rear storage locker. Where is this on the 190 and why isn't it on the 205? Doesn't the 205 have some floor storage between the driver and observer seat?

There is a storage locker (basement). Big enough for a couple of skis. Just don't put anything in the locker, that you don't mind getting really wet. It can fill up with water.

Ben
01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
There is a storage locker (basement). Big enough for a couple of skis. Just don't put anything in the locker, that you don't mind getting really wet. It can fill up with water.

What years was this on? Does the '91-'94 have it?

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 04:46 PM

That's what happens when a CC dealer sells MCs.

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
What years was this on? Does the '91-'94 have it?

92--95.

BrianW
01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Living up in northern MN if it doesn't have trolling motor or a live well not a lot of people are interested. Taking money into consideration buy what will work for your family. I sold an '87 last summer that took two months but it sold, just be ready to keep it financially and someone will come around. Good luck!

Thrall
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
21' deep garage vs PS 205? DOn't think the door will close.
I have a 21' deep garage (outside dimension, actual inside is about 20'-4"). My 190 fits with very little room to spare, and this is with the swim deck off and a fold down hitch that barely sticks out past the bow of the boat (2-3") when folded.

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a 21' deep garage (outside dimension, actual inside is about 20'-4"). My 190 fits with very little room to spare, and this is with the swim deck off and a fold down hitch that barely sticks out past the bow of the boat (2-3") when folded.

Agreed. 205, even with a folding tongue, would be hard pressed to fit in a 21' garage straight in.

etduc
01-23-2008, 06:11 PM
92--95.

So, will a Heineken "mini-keg" fit in the basement, or will I have to use six packs?

I figure Eastie, would know.

east tx skier
01-23-2008, 06:50 PM
It will fit. But it will get wet. As a matter of fact, were you so inclined, you could probably get a 1/6th barrel in the live well of a 1st Generation 205.

gimmemoedmb
01-24-2008, 01:07 AM

My actual inside is 21' with no more than 2 inches to spare. Looks like this could be enough to sway me to go with a 190.