PDA

View Full Version : Raw water pump restricted.

climbinggod
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi there,

I just removed my raw water pump to change the impeller and I noticed a restriction. There are 2 screw in black inserts in the pump inlet and outlet. It looks like they have got hot and melted and are now restricting.

Anybody know what purpose they serve and can I order new ones?? Do I need them in there at all???

TMCNo1
01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
I think you need to post some pictures if possible on this one.

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
They are supposed to be there. They help hold the hoses on. After awile they get deformed from the hose clamps. Not sure they could deform from heat since that is always cool water moving through there, unless of course you ran it for a long time with no water. But I suspect they are ok. Here is a link on SKIDIM.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JOH10-24232-1

climbinggod
01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
As per Skidim here we are: THE PLASTIC INSERTS SIMPLY HELP CREATE A HOSE BARB FOR THE HOSE CLAMP. OKAY TO USE WITHOUT THEM, JUST MAKE SURE THE HOSE CLAMPS ARE TIGHT!

http://www.skidim.com/images/joh10-24232-1.jpg

See the plastic insets??

Thanks Guys

Hunterb
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Climbngod,

I took those out when I was messing with my pump. They were basically rotten. It does make it harder to get a good seal when you put the hoses on without them but they are not necesary.

Bruce

Engine Nut
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi there,

I just removed my raw water pump to change the impeller and I noticed a restriction. There are 2 screw in black inserts in the pump inlet and outlet. It looks like they have got hot and melted and are now restricting.

Anybody know what purpose they serve and can I order new ones?? Do I need them in there at all???

I would recommend that you replace at least the one on the outlet (pressure) side of the raw water pump. The bushing acts as a hose barb
to help prevent the hose from blowing off the outlet. The Indmar P/N is S685002 and they retail for less than $4.00. I would sure hate to overheat an engine because the hose blew off the raw water pump for want of a $4.00 or 5.00 part.