PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing a 351 Indmar Engine.

climbinggod
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi there,

I thought that I had properly winterized my boat, but I guess not. I ran coolant through for about 5 mins until it came out of the exhaust and the shower, I then stored it in my garage for the winter (unheated but insulated)

I was doing some work on it tonight and noticed that the hoses going to the heater in the hull were frozen. Not to worried about that guess I should have blown the lines out.

What was a bit worrying was when I took the hoses off the block I had a whole bunch of fresh water run out. I think I may have got lucky in that no damage to the block was done as water ran out. I inspected the frost plugs and they all look fine.

Is there only 1 drain plug on the 351 or is there one behind the starter?
If I just drain the water out I should be okay, right?

I do hope I haven't recked my engine I have only had it a year

stuartmcnair
01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounds like you didn't run it long enough to get the antifreeze throughout the engine. There is a drain plug on each side of the bottom of the block and a drain plug at the back of each exhaust manifold.

climbinggod
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Sounds like you didn't run it long enough to get the antifreeze throughout the engine. There is a drain plug on each side of the bottom of the block and a drain plug at the back of each exhaust manifold.
So is the drain on the drivers side towards the front of the engine?? I can't find any other drain other than the nipple that goes to the shower.

milkmania
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM

and a drain on the silent master exhaust (bottom/center)

stuartmcnair
01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
So is the drain on the drivers side towards the front of the engine?? I can't find any other drain other than the nipple that goes to the shower.

yes...you have to stand on your head

flipper
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103139&postcount=6