PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from the North American International Auto Show in Detroit

suedv
01-21-2008, 12:54 AM
We went to the auto show in Detroit today and of course I have some pictures to post. Here are a few that caught my attention.

This is one of my favorite pictures that I took today. This car was COOL!

suedv
01-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Here are a couple more of that same car.

suedv
01-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Here's one in color.

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:01 AM
This is a picture from the side... and OK enough of this car. :)

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:02 AM
I liked this car a lot too.

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:04 AM
I think Mini Coopers are fun.

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:08 AM
This car from China made me laugh. They called it the Detroit Fish because it's supposed to be an amphibious car. It looked like a little kid's toy.

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Here's one more for tonight. I'm tired and have to go to bed so I'll leave you with a link (http://picasaweb.google.com/Sue.DeVries/2008NorthAmericanInternationalAutoShowDetroit) for more if your interested.

Happy viewing.

Sue

Mikey
01-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks Sue, have a good night.

Brent
01-21-2008, 07:18 AM
I went to your link, GREAT shots. The Rolls with the chrome hood looked tacky. You have a great eye.Is the show in a few buildings?

suedv
01-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I went to your link, GREAT shots. The Rolls with the chrome hood looked tacky. You have a great eye.Is the show in a few buildings?

They are all in Detroit's Cobo Hall. The majority of the exhibits are on the main floor. The ones in the basement are budget exhibits without the turntables and elaborate displays. For example that car with the tacky stuffed animal on the dash is from China and its in the basement. You wouldn't see that upstairs.

milkmania
01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
note to self:

I gots to gets me one of them M&M mobiles:cool:

suedv
01-21-2008, 09:00 AM
note to self:

I gots to gets me one of them M&M mobiles:cool:

You could always paint your limo with M&Ms :D

TMCNo1
01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I liked this car a lot too.
I think GM needs to either produce the new Camero and get the car on the market for the public to buy or just shut up about it.:twocents:

milkmania
01-21-2008, 12:04 PM
I think GM needs to either produce the new Camero and get the car on the market for the public to buy or just shut up about it.:twocents:

they're hyping it up so they can sell more than 30 of them.......

:twocents: + :twocents:

damaged442
01-21-2008, 12:06 PM

If they're not careful, it may end up the way of the SSR. Too much hype for too long and the public gets bored of it and ends up not buying it. Same thing happened with GTO, IMO. You end up with many at the dealerships unsold. We'll see what the future holds.

milkmania
01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
If they're not careful, it may end up the way of the SSR. Too much hype for too long and the public gets bored of it and ends up not buying it. Same thing happened with GTO, IMO. You end up with many at the dealerships unsold. We'll see what the future holds.
or you hype it too long and the competition jumps in and steals the thunder:rolleyes:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://carscarscars.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/ponycar_wars.jpg&imgrefurl=http://carscarscars.blogs.com/index/2006/04/index.html&h=308&w=300&sz=25&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=1tV7zvKp9wupuM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3D****%2Bor%2Bget%2Boff%2Bthe%2Bpot%26s vnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client %3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

M-Funf
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
WOW, that Mach 5 is cool looking as a real car...

What's the red/black roadster next to the Buick Lucerne?

Great pics Sue... We know you're a photography nut, but are you a car nut too???

mrprostar
01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
The Camaro will be available to buy in January of 2009. Chevy enthusiasts are really excited about it because it is going back to its roots. Affordable, powerful, and cool lookin. Once you see a few of them on the road regardless of the hype you will want one. The reason is died in the first place is they priced themselves out of the market. You can get a new one for about $20k. An SS or a Z28 for less than $30K. I predict a huge following.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2008, 01:22 PM
The real "test" camaros are white. If you see pictures of said vehicle pics regardless if they are called "GM released" or otherwise, they are more than likely not.
Oh, and they are still working out the details on the headlights, so the test cars have something other than "finished product" for the headlights.

The only questions I have at this point & time:
Can I get one with 600HP under the hood with a manual 6 speed, cloth seats, hideaway headlights, posi traction, and maybe one that roof manually folds back into the trunk.:cool: Alright, so the 600hp might be unrealistic from the factory the first year or two.

suedv
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
What's the red/black roadster next to the Buick Lucerne?

That red and black car next to the Lucerne is the Rocky Walker French Connection.

Here's a picture of its interior from yesterday and a little blurb about it that's on the web.
http://amsoilupdate.blogspot.com/

By the way, I'm not totally a car nut, but I love going to the auto show. It's so over the top in the displays and everything is polished and perfect looking. There are some really cool sexy looking cars there! If I could find a really sexy looking car with BOLD PURPLE metalic flake paint that's made for the road (not just a concept car) I'd be saving my dollars! :D

Rick says I wouldn't find him driving my car if I bought a purple one. My dream is to someday buy a really cool car and have it painted purple. :cool: :banana: 8p

sand2snow22
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Great pics Sue, thanks for sharing. I was checking out the new Dodge Ram on Caranddriver, too. I really like the looks better than the new F150! Plus the Hemi get 380 hp & 404 ft lbs of torque!!

mrprostar
01-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Can I get one with 600HP under the hood with a manual 6 speed, cloth seats, hideaway headlights, posi traction, and maybe one that roof manually folds back into the trunk.:cool: Alright, so the 600hp might be unrealistic from the factory the first year or two.

The ZL1 Camaro will have about 550 hp with the LS7 that in the Z06 Corvette now. I know there will be a convertible but I dont think a hardtop convertible. Not sure if there will be a ZL1 convertible, either. Its close to what you asked for.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2008, 03:14 PM
It doesn't need to be hard top convert. Just manual..;)

I have yet to see the HP packages. An LS9 would be nice.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
The ZL1 Camaro will have about 550 hp with the LS7 that in the Z06 Corvette now. I know there will be a convertible but I dont think a hardtop convertible. Not sure if there will be a ZL1 convertible, either. Its close to what you asked for.

I have said this before and I will say it AGAIN!!!!!!

you people are WAY to over excited about this car, calm down, you aint gonna see it for a long time! its been "supposed" to have been out already. this car was unveiled 2 years ago to the public. GM is slower than molasses in January. its gonna be a while.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2008, 11:46 PM
You'll see them on the road in 12 months or less.

If that molasses where in Cozumel in January, would it matter if it where June or January?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Rick says I wouldn't find him driving my car if I bought a purple one. My dream is to someday buy a really cool car and have it painted purple. :cool: :banana:
Sue, believe it or not, this car is at my house right now...
2009 Chevrolet Camaro in purple...
Enjoy...;)
http://us.carrera-toys.com/typo3temp/pics/80e705e905.jpg

01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
You'll see them on the road in 12 months or less.

If that molasses where in Cozumel in January, would it matter if it where June or January?
Right. 3 years too late while Ford is soaking up that market with the mustang like a dry sponge. & the Challenger is soon to be out. and the charger is now doing well too. **** Poor planning on the General's part. Flopped with the SSR disaster, then botched the launch on this Camaro. nice.

mrprostar
01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I think there is a big marketing aspect here you aren't thinking about. Anticipation is a huge factor when it comes to early success. Maybe it has been a little bit long coming but look at it this way. The first year for the Mustang was 1964 1/2. The first Camaro was 1967 and I don't know many people who would not take a first generation Camaro over any Mustang ever, not to mention the value of them now. The anticipation of the first Camaro worked well for them and I think it will do the same. Dodge on the other hand has had very limited exposure in the Challenger because they whipped it together and put it out. The market GM is trying to reach is the 20 somethings who have been buying foreign crap for so long and the talk of the Camaro is what will sell to this market. Also, they have had to figure out how to build a car that does everything they say it will for the price they promised. Thats not an easy task.

88 PS190
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Purple on cars eh? Interesting taste. I'm certainly more the Black/Grey car fan.

Think if i was doing a custom paint car it'd end up diamondswartz black.

suedv
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Sue, believe it or not, this car is at my house right now...
2009 Chevrolet Camaro in purple...
Enjoy...;)
http://us.carrera-toys.com/typo3temp/pics/80e705e905.jpg

I could go for one like that. :cool:

Muttley
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I love that concept Camero! It was the coolest part of the Transformers movie.

01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I think there is a big marketing aspect here you aren't thinking about. Anticipation is a huge factor when it comes to early success. Maybe it has been a little bit long coming but look at it this way. The first year for the Mustang was 1964 1/2. The first Camaro was 1967 and I don't know many people who would not take a first generation Camaro over any Mustang ever, not to mention the value of them now. The anticipation of the first Camaro worked well for them and I think it will do the same. Dodge on the other hand has had very limited exposure in the Challenger because they whipped it together and put it out. The market GM is trying to reach is the 20 somethings who have been buying foreign crap for so long and the talk of the Camaro is what will sell to this market. Also, they have had to figure out how to build a car that does everything they say it will for the price they promised. Thats not an easy task.

Keep in mind that NO car company cares what those vehicles are going to be worth in the future, they could care less that a 67 camaro is more desireable than a 64 mustang. they only care what sells NEW. that is where they make there money. used classic car sales dont help the automakers any. new sales do. this is a extremely competitive market. they need to strike while the iron is hot. sure they will sell some, but if they were on the ball, this could have been a HUGE hit for them, now it will only be a moderate one. That WOW factor is gone now. we dont even have people asking about it anymore. 2 years ago when they announced this concept ride, we had 2 to 3 inquiries a day about buying one for several months. serious inquiries. know how many we sold? ZERO. but we could have hit huge with it if they had planned it right.

mrprostar
01-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Keep in mind that NO car company cares what those vehicles are going to be worth in the future, they could care less that a 67 camaro is more desireable than a 64 mustang. they only care what sells NEW. that is where they make there money. used classic car sales dont help the automakers any. new sales do. this is a extremely competitive market. they need to strike while the iron is hot. sure they will sell some, but if they were on the ball, this could have been a HUGE hit for them, now it will only be a moderate one. That WOW factor is gone now. we dont even have people asking about it anymore. 2 years ago when they announced this concept ride, we had 2 to 3 inquiries a day about buying one for several months. serious inquiries. know how many we sold? ZERO. but we could have hit huge with it if they had planned it right.

You think that success of and value of past camaros has no impact on the new car? They based a lot of the styling off the 69 Camaro and they know that car was a success. Many of the engine options and performance packages have the same names and the same displacement, etc. I'm not saying you are wrong about it being more successful if they had hurried the project and neither of us will ever know that answer so there's not point in arguing it. I'm just saying that they might be going for a certain marketing strategy whether its more successful or not. I'm still predicting that it is going to be a hit, but I have no basis for that other than the fact that I want one and everyone I have talked to about it wants one.

TMCNo1
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM

I'll just keep adding to my 'Hot Wheels' collection since you put it that way!8p

phecksel
01-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Purple on cars eh? Interesting taste. I'm certainly more the Black/Grey car fan.

Think if i was doing a custom paint car it'd end up diamondswartz black.
Here's my car, LOL
http://www.hecksel.com/images/charger/2007_09_22/a/images/DSC_14654.jpg

phecksel
01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
GM dealers helped kill the GTO market with their mark up above MSRP. I expect camaro will suffer the same disaster. So many people will want one, the dealers will see $$$'s. Initially people will pay the over inflated price just to have one. All the people that were willing to buy one will have gone away, and sales will tank. Plus it's coming out at the same time as the Challenger, and Mustang is doing some interesting cars keeping people interested. Doesn't help gas prices aren't exactly hitting record lows.

Sue, how in the world did you carry your camera through all that? I didn't even bother, even with my lightest lens. But thanks for taking the pics! Did you get the MKT?

suedv
01-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Sue, how in the world did you carry your camera through all that?

Easy, with my hands. 8p :D

Did you get the MKT?

That would be this car.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I have to partially disagree on the GTO market being killed. The name should never have been brought back for that car. It would have done much better IMO if it had some "retro" styling to the late 60s GTO. Give it at least a hint of it's styling if it's going to have the tags. IMO.

I will say, it was a fun car to drive.

mrprostar
01-23-2008, 04:57 PM
I have to partially disagree on the GTO market being killed. The name should never have been brought back for that car. It would have done much better IMO if it had some "retro" styling to the late 60s GTO. Give it at least a hint of it's styling if it's going to have the tags. IMO.

I will say, it was a fun car to drive.

I couldn't agree more. I was extremely disappointed with the first GTO I saw. I had heard about it and it sounded awesome, but then I saw it. It was awful.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I couldn't agree more. I was extremely disappointed with the first GTO I saw. I had heard about it and it sounded awesome, but then I saw it. It was awful.
A movie that brought some attention to the new GTO when it was released.
I actually bought the movie because of "The Judge":D .
(Bonus feature Nadine Velazquez;) )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/The_Last_Ride.jpg/200px-The_Last_Ride.jpg

phecksel
01-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Easy, with my hands. 8p :D

That would be this car.

Thank you for carrying the camera, LOL I wasn't about to!