PDA

View Full Version : changing tranny fluid

drbesvold1
01-19-2008, 01:11 AM
whats the best way to change the tranny fluid to get most to all of the old stuff out if there is no drain plug ?

cbryan70
01-19-2008, 01:15 AM
get one of those oil pumps. suck out as much as you can then replace with how much you sucked out

east tx skier
01-19-2008, 01:25 AM
It's as easy as that.

prostar205
01-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I was told by my dealer you will get more fluid out if you remove it thru the filter area rather than the fill/dip stick hole.

flipper
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I just use a drill pump....works for me

lanier92prostar
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
get one of those oil pumps. suck out as much as you can then replace with how much you sucked out
And repeat this process until the fluid looks clean.

drbesvold1
01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I was told by my dealer you will get more fluid out if you remove it thru the filter area rather than the fill/dip stick hole. wheres the filter area on the tranny?

east tx skier
01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't think you have a filter. Suck the fluid through the dipstick hole.

Michael Epp
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
The transmission on my X-15 does have a filter but dealer says no need for annual replacement. Some confussion over quantity of oil for transmission. Transmission owners manual differs from MC owners manual. My dealer checked with MC and was told follow MC manual. I used a hand pump for my first change...slow but sure...but had the dealer change it with winterizing (time is money in my business). Ordered my X-15 with engine flush kit...works great and enables easy engine oil changes and should be nice in the spring for that "first start" on the trailer rather than in the lake.

shepherd
01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Transmission owners manual differs from MC owners manual. My dealer checked with MC and was told follow MC manual.

I noticed the same thing in my manuals regarding oil type. The MC manual says use 10W40 for the transmission, but the transmission manual (ZF Hurth) says use transmission fluid and gives a long list of recommend brands/types.

Which should I use? :confused: :mad:

bigmac
01-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I noticed the same thing in my manuals regarding oil type. The MC manual says use 10W40 for the transmission, but the transmission manual (ZF Hurth) says use transmission fluid and gives a long list of recommend brands/types.

Which should I use? :confused: :mad:Use the MasterCraft manual.

shepherd
01-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Use the MasterCraft manual.

Why? Because MC knows the transmissions better than the manufacturer? But I guess if MC has been using 10W40 all along without problems. Maybe either type of fluid would work.

rkmason
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Why? Because MC knows the transmissions better than the manufacturer? But I guess if MC has been using 10W40 all along without problems. Maybe either type of fluid would work.

I had a long discussion on here previously about motor oil vs atf in a ZF 63 IV transmission. Like you I was confused about which fluid to use. After hashing it over I concluded that MC has specified use of motor oil in response to customer complaints about transmission gear whine. Heavier motor oil would serve to reduce or eliminate gear noise. I have always used atf in my '98 MariStar trans because all of the documents I see specify it, including the original '98 owners manual. I personally don't mind the little bit of gear whine I hear. It does seem like most of the newer boats use motor oil in the trans, so either one is acceptable.

bobbyB
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
This ATF vs Motor Oil debate is exactly what I was wondering about. Can anyone answer this: What happens if you've got ATF in it now and replace what you remove with MO...wouldn't you be mixing the two??? If so, is this an acceptable thing to do??? BTW 96 Prostar w/ LT1.

B

88 PS190
02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
This ATF vs Motor Oil debate is exactly what I was wondering about. Can anyone answer this: What happens if you've got ATF in it now and replace what you remove with MO...wouldn't you be mixing the two??? If so, is this an acceptable thing to do??? BTW 96 Prostar w/ LT1.

B

Should be fine, I would probably flush it once with whatever you choose to use, then continue.

I have used atf in engine oil at the recommendation of a mercedes benz diesel mechanic as a method of cleaning out sludgy oil.

2 quarts of atf + oil to fill level and ran it for 30 minutes. No ill effects.

Also had a junk honda that needed rings and sucked oil, ran out of oil on the road and used atf to finish the trip. After the new rings no ill effects.

flipper
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
My father in law ALWAYS puts about a quart of atf when ever he changes the oil in anything. He says it keeps the engine clean.

slalomskifreak
02-11-2008, 10:10 PM
What year is your PS 190? What type of transmission do you have? Mine is an 88 PS 190. I have both manuals (MC and Velvet Drive) and they both say the same thing. If you do not have either, I can digitally scan them and send them to you.

Curt

drbesvold1
02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
What year is your PS 190? What type of transmission do you have? Mine is an 88 PS 190. I have both manuals (MC and Velvet Drive) and they both say the same thing. If you do not have either, I can digitally scan them and send them to you.

Curt i have a 88 as well with power slot i have pics of it if u need to see it just send me ur email address in a pm thanks curt

bigmac
02-11-2008, 10:31 PM
The mythology, misunderstanding, and misinformation that surrounds lubricating oil is a fascinating study in human nature. The ATF-with-the-oil-change thing is a new one on me, however.

bigmac
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM

B
Mixing oils isn't a problem.

ATF vs engine oil is not a big deal. These transmissions are very simple mechanisms by comparison to an automobile transmission. The lack of a torque converter means you could probably use just about any kind of lubricating oil with no ill effect.

88 PS190
02-12-2008, 12:57 AM
The ATF-with-the-oil-change thing is a new one on me, however.

It works about the same as marvel mystery oil, which makes me wonder what really is in MMO...

the adding it with oil change is not strange, I've put ATF in the fuel tanks of diesels as well to clean out the injectors. Worked great, better fuel economy, and it didn't smoke as much afterwards.

Who knows if its a snake oil thing, or if its cold hard fact, but in the end, a bit of atf or oil will not throw you off.

I am running ATF in my trans, and have yet to see a reason to change.

gigem75
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
"get one of those oil pumps. suck out as much as you can then replace with how much you sucked out"

That is making the assumption that the oil level was correct when you started. Refill to the full mark on the stick.

88 PS190
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
"get one of those oil pumps. suck out as much as you can then replace with how much you sucked out"

That is making the assumption that the oil level was correct when you started. Refill to the full mark on the stick.

True, but you actually want to refill to the mark, drive till its to temp, pull the dipstick, wipe, replace, pull it out and check level, then adjust the level by adding or removing fluid till its at that line, in the water, warmed to temp.

Then allow the trans to cool, and using a scribe scratch a mark at the new level.

The purpose being to establish the correct, cold temp line. Which the line on the dipstick is of course the operating temp line. They are actually a bit different, the operating temp line is supposed to be taken immediately after turning off the engine, before the fluid all settles out of the pump etc.

jimmer2880
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I've used 1 qt trans fluid in my old Dakota to clean out the sludge. It sprung an oil leak that I didn't catch right away and ran low. A trusted mechanic friend told me to do an oil change substituting 1 qt of trans for 1 qt of motor oil. Run it for 100 miles, then another regular oil change.

Seemed to work great.

TheOneandOnly
09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
This tranny fluid (oil) is a pain in the *** with this crappy pump style oil pump I have. Im only able to get a 1/2 qt out.
Is there one out there that you guys use that is electric and not too expensive?

Hrkdrivr
09-26-2009, 10:53 PM
I use this one from Northern Tool & Equipment, $150.00. It's big enough to drain the oil out of the L18 and the v-drive tranny in one tank. It's not blazing fast but it gets the job done. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200319197_200319197. They also have other less expensive ones, but I got this one for it's capacity; it's already paid for itself in $$ saved on oil changes.

Two things to note: DO NOT put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil; someone else here got the plastic tube stuck and had to remove the dipstick tube from the engine to liberate it. When the pump is working, there's an air hole you need to un-cork to allow air to escape from the tank as the oil flows in (make sure the tank is laying flat at it gets nearly full. if you leave it standing on end you might pump oil right out the hole...nearly did that).

TheOneandOnly
09-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Interesting, expensive but looks nice. I will have too look into that or make one my self into a 5 gallon bucket. Thanks.

Anyone else have a different type that they have had success with?

bigmac
09-26-2009, 11:53 PM
It works about the same as marvel mystery oil, which makes me wonder what really is in MMO...

the adding it with oil change is not strange, I've put ATF in the fuel tanks of diesels as well to clean out the injectors. Worked great, better fuel economy, and it didn't smoke as much afterwards.

Who knows if its a snake oil thing, or if its cold hard fact, but in the end, a bit of atf or oil will not throw you off.

I vote snake oil, but I do agree with your last statement.

kingwoodlee
10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I use this one from Northern Tool & Equipment, $150.00. It's big enough to drain the oil out of the L18 and the v-drive tranny in one tank. It's not blazing fast but it gets the job done. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200319197_200319197. They also have other less expensive ones, but I got this one for it's capacity; it's already paid for itself in $$ saved on oil changes.

Two things to note: DO NOT put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil; someone else here got the plastic tube stuck and had to remove the dipstick tube from the engine to liberate it. When the pump is working, there's an air hole you need to un-cork to allow air to escape from the tank as the oil flows in (make sure the tank is laying flat at it gets nearly full. if you leave it standing on end you might pump oil right out the hole...nearly did that).

If you are saying to not put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil, then what do you put into the oil to suck it out?

Jesus_Freak
10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
If you are saying to not put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil, then what do you put into the oil to suck it out?

Check out post number 15 of this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31137