PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles in Gel Coat 84 S & S

BrandonKTM
01-19-2008, 01:08 AM
My gelcoat (original) years ago started getting bubbles in the gelcoat below the waterline. Has anybody found a solution for this? It seems to have stopped occuring but it looks terrible up close. I remember that MC would not honor it as a warranty claim so I just lived with it. Now, seeing this great forum, I wonder what others have done. Thanks for any suggestions.

cbryan70
01-19-2008, 01:14 AM
re regcoat it basically i believe. They are called blisters. someone with more knowledge on this should help you soon

east tx skier
01-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Sand it all down and re-gelcoat. I'm guessing you store it in the water?

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2008, 02:31 AM
My gelcoat (original) years ago started getting bubbles in the gelcoat below the waterline. Has anybody found a solution for this? It seems to have stopped occuring but it looks terrible up close. I remember that MC would not honor it as a warranty claim so I just lived with it. Now, seeing this great forum, I wonder what others have done. Thanks for any suggestions.

Really, must be that Penske crap!!! :mad:

:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
01-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Gelcoat blisters, 1984 and warranty coverage in the same sentence has made my day! Add relationships, Global Warming and the presidential politics to the mix and we'll have something to talk about to guarantee this site will continue to run for at least 6 more days!

Leroy
01-19-2008, 09:06 AM
and it is ~24 years old!

Sand it all down and re-gelcoat. I'm guessing you store it in the water?

ski_king
01-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Relax guys!
I think Brandon was stating they wouldn't cover the blisters back when the boat was new and he just joined TMC and was asking if any of us knew how to fix them.........

As Doug stated, re-gelcoating is probobly the way to go. Check with local boat and fiberglass shops.

My 82 came with a letter stating it isn't covered and if stored in water you should paint the bottom to protect it.

bigmac
01-19-2008, 10:09 AM
My 82 came with a letter stating it isn't covered and if stored in water you should paint the bottom to protect it.

Blisters!!

BrandonKTM
01-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Yep, Thats the letter I got way back in the late 80's. Now I thought I was buying a boat, and boats are made for the water, and mine is in from May to Late September. It does appear to be a problem they solved after that. Next thing Ford and GM won't cover my car if I take it out of my garage.

east tx skier
01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
It is not a problem that can be solved so long as gel coat is used in ski boats. Certainly not a problem unique to MC. Gel Coat is porous, so when the boat is left in the water, the likelihood that you'll get blisters increases. That said, every now and then, someone will prove the exception to the rule.

Dean Witmer
01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
These are called osmotic blisters and just sanding won't do the trick. The hull has absorbed moisture and needs to dry. You will need to sand the blisters then give the boat a good dry time. How long? Well that depends on how much water was absorbed. The longer you can let it dry the better. When I did this repair I sanded the hull in the fall and let the hull dry all winter. Once dry replace the gel coat with epoxy which is not pervious to water and forms a barrier coat. Then gel over this and you are better than new. It's a long process but the only way to go.

Dean Witmer
01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
By the way - new boats already have this barrier coat so this should only be a problem on older boats.

east tx skier
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Dean, if the barrier is underneath the gel coat, why couldn't blisters still form. It seems that the water could still become trapped between the gel coat and the barrier. Yet, as long as the water isn't in the glass, it sounds like a cosmetic issue at that point.

bigmac
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
By the way - new boats already have this barrier coat so this should only be a problem on older boats. Blistering still happends on newer boats, and still isn't covered under warranty by MasterCraft (although it IS covered by some other mfgrs).

SunCoast 83
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Keep it on the trailer.......havent had that probelm here. Even if you were to pull it out every so often to let the hull dry out..may help once you get it fixed.

bigmac
01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Keep it on the trailer.......havent had that probelm here. Even if you were to pull it out every so often to let the hull dry out..may help once you get it fixed.There was a post here awhile ago from juju151, where his hull developed blistering exactly where it rested on the wet carpeted bunks of his trailer.

JohnE
01-20-2008, 10:02 AM
There was a post here awhile ago from juju151, where his hull developed blistering exactly where his it rested on the wet carpeted bunks of his trailer.

That's been in my mind sice reading about it.

russlars
01-31-2008, 10:45 PM
My previous boat, a Reinell, was covered with gelcoat blistering on the bottom after leaving it in the water for 1 summer. When I bought my MasterCraft I was worried about it doing the same thing since I don't have a lift. It has lived in the water for the last two summers and I have not experienced any blistering. I think that this may be due to the wax that I faithfully apply to the bottom and sides each season before putting it in the water. I use Collinite Fleetwax after a thorough cleaning with their cleaner product. It is a pain to do it, but it leaves a great finish and even after being in the water all summer still beads water and looks shiny. Also, when I take it out of the water, any growth on the bottom wipes off easily with a sponge and soapy water. My previous boat used to require a couple hours on the bottom with teflon scouring pads to get the growth off of the bottom at the end of the season. So far this seams to be working for me, but after having gelcoat blistering, it is a constant concern.

alletric
02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Doesn't it seem silly that bad things happen to a boat from being in the water? The boat will be fine if you leave it on the trailer? It would be insane to put a boat in the water. Seems like gel coat blisters and cell phone coverage should a thing of the past for the space age.

BrandonKTM
02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
When I started this thread I kinda forgot how many people trailer their boats. Here at our lake we have upwards of 2000 docks and 400 plus ski boats (did a survey several years ago). Less than half are on lifts and that has only been in the last 4 or 5 years. Til then all those boats we left in the water from May until September, including mine. No way am I going to trailer. I literally can go the 1 mile from my house to the dock, uncover and be skiing in less than 10 minutes. I have taken both kids and been back home in an hour! It sure extends the skiing and more importantly it is more fun and way less hassle. My solution eventually will be to get a lift somewhere, but for now I have been waxing heavily. I have a pontoon also so we hit the lake pretty hard.

bigmac
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
When I started this thread I kinda forgot how many people trailer their boats. Here at our lake we have upwards of 2000 docks and 400 plus ski boats (did a survey several years ago). Less than half are on lifts and that has only been in the last 4 or 5 years. Til then all those boats we left in the water from May until September, including mine. No way am I going to trailer. I literally can go the 1 mile from my house to the dock, uncover and be skiing in less than 10 minutes. I have taken both kids and been back home in an hour! It sure extends the skiing and more importantly it is more fun and way less hassle. My solution eventually will be to get a lift somewhere, but for now I have been waxing heavily. I have a pontoon also so we hit the lake pretty hard.

I don't think waxing will do much, if anything, the stop osmotic blistering. I agree, it sounds like an attractive idea, but I'll bet most of the wax you apply to the running surface comes off within about 10 minutes of the first ski run after waxing. If I had to keep my boat in the water, I'd have an epoxy barrier coat applied.:twocents: