PDA

View Full Version : Help...Pro X ballast won't empty fully

Ole Miss Rebels
01-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I just got my new 2008 xstar today and the delivering technician and i took it out for a water test. i had the Pro X ballast system installed. the technician was concerned that the ballast wouldn't fully empty. the rear starboard sack did fine, however the rear port sack would regularly lose it's vacuum and then the pump would cut itself off. we would then add a little and try to empty again and it took several on/off cycles of priming the pump to finally get it emprtied.

then, we filled the front bags. the way it works is it fills the port side first and then overflows into and fills the starboard bag. well, when we went to empty the front bags the port side emptied out flat as a pancake but only about 2/3 of the water would empty out of the starboard bag. it's weird because the bag fills and empties from the front of the bag (the end toward the bow, which is also the end that sits the highest due to the rise of the hull/ floor of the compartment where the bag is sitting). How is it possible for the bag to continue emptying once the water level in the lower part of the bag has dropped below the inlet/drain hose at the opposite/higher end of the bag? that being said, the port bag worked fine. does anyone have this system that can shed some light on this dilemma? thanks in advance. the owner of the dealership asked me to try to ask around on various websites and try to see what is goiong on. it is his first install of the system but he is confident that it is installed properly. everything i have ever read leads me to believe that it is a very simple install.

coz
01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
the owner of the dealership asked me to try to ask around on various websites and try to see what is goiong on. it is his first install of the system but he is confident that it is installed properly. everything i have ever read leads me to believe that it is a very simple install.

If this is a new boat I'd tell the guy that sold it to me to go on various websites himself to see what he did wrong and have him fix it.:confused:

Ole Miss Rebels
01-18-2008, 11:09 PM
he is in now in touch with mastercraft and fly high. he knows i stay on these boards and thought it would be a good way to maybe find a quick, simple solution without a lot of time using trial and error. i am always glad to participate in a fix, anyway. that's generally how i learn things about boats since i'm not particularly mechanically gifted. we will get it figured out. i was just hoping to be the one to snare the rabbitt first.

SaltwaterMC
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
We have the same problem. It's just that the way the bags are designed it is not possible to get the front starboard bag completely empty. Water does not like to run up hill. What we do is just lift the aft part of the starboard front bag up in the air to get the water to flow forward into the port front bag (if your overflow line is too short to lift the bag up, you can just disconnect it from the top of the bag). We also do this with the rear bags if they don't empty completely. Hope this helps.

Jerseydave
01-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the design will not allow that starboard bag to empty all the way. How can FlyHigh expect those bags to empty from the front which is like sucking water uphill? I would think the rear of the bag would be a better place to have the fitting/hose.

I'm sure Flyhigh will have a solution for you, don't worry. How's the wake with all that extra ballast wieght? (must be huge!) Is your engine/prop combination up to the task?

MYMC
01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I just got my new 2008 xstar today and the delivering technician and i took it out for a water test. i had the Pro X ballast system installed. the technician was concerned that the ballast wouldn't fully empty. the rear starboard sack did fine, however the rear port sack would regularly lose it's vacuum and then the pump would cut itself off. we would then add a little and try to empty again and it took several on/off cycles of priming the pump to finally get it emprtied.

then, we filled the front bags. the way it works is it fills the port side first and then overflows into and fills the starboard bag. well, when we went to empty the front bags the port side emptied out flat as a pancake but only about 2/3 of the water would empty out of the starboard bag. it's weird because the bag fills and empties from the front of the bag (the end toward the bow, which is also the end that sits the highest due to the rise of the hull/ floor of the compartment where the bag is sitting). How is it possible for the bag to continue emptying once the water level in the lower part of the bag has dropped below the inlet/drain hose at the opposite/higher end of the bag? that being said, the port bag worked fine. does anyone have this system that can shed some light on this dilemma? thanks in advance. the owner of the dealership asked me to try to ask around on various websites and try to see what is goiong on. it is his first install of the system but he is confident that it is installed properly. everything i have ever read leads me to believe that it is a very simple install.
I hate when people say I told you so...so I won't.