PDA

View Full Version : Factory depth gauges...info

bridomine99
01-18-2008, 02:50 PM
One of the first accessories I would like to add to our boat is a depth gauge. I got some prices and details on the MC parts in another thread and was wondering if anyone could elaborate on them a bit. A few questions to get things going:

How well do the factory setups work? I have seen some aftermarket depth finders with through the hull transducers on ski boats that don't seem to be very accurate and jump all over. If you would advise to stay away from the factory gauge what do you recomend?

Anything tricky about the install?

Anyone have a picture of a prostar dash with the factory gauge installed?

Thanks

Ric
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
I do not know how accurate my mastercraft depth finder is but it certainly is nice being integrated into the led screen.

For an 01, I'd think you would want the 2" hummingbird and install it in place of the clock or something... That's what I did in my '00 190

dsoby
01-18-2008, 03:43 PM
My factory installed DF works flawlessly.

agua4fun
01-18-2008, 06:00 PM
I bought the MC guage as well. 01 190 - works perfectly. No jumping at all, unless you get into depths of 150'+, but then who cares?

1boarder
01-18-2008, 06:47 PM
My 2006 X1 worked great except for when I went to a lake that was 160 feet deep. It lost measurement at speed, but could find it when I was stopped. Needless to say, I didn't need a depth finder at 160 feet.

WTRSK1R
01-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I have been very impressed with the factory gauge on my 04. The aftermarket gauge I installed in my '92 would not read in lakes and rivers with mucky bottoms, and that was when I wanted it most. The gauge in the 04 reads almost everywhere, and I have gotten reading back when in several hundred feet of water in Torch Lake in Michigan. I actually installed both the aftermarket one in the 92, and the factory parts to make the display on the tach work, so I do not think it is related to install. It may have to do with where I put the puck for the 92.