PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover Recommendations

Mikey
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I just got off the phone with my buddy that is taking care of my boat while Im gone and he said my cover ripped at the seems and the rest of it is brittle and tears easy. Now im in the market for a new cover.:(
Any recommendations? Its a 97 PS205 with a zero flex tower. I would like something that already has the cutouts for the tower legs but a standard one that an upholstery shop could modify would work too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sodar
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
www.skiboatcovers.com

ShamrockIV
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Sodar is on it a usual!!!

TRBenj
01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
What do you want out of the cover? Mooring only? Towable? Dust cover?

If you need a towable cover, go with a Rankin. (http://rankincovers.com/) One of the only covers I know of that can actually be used safely while towing without harming the gel. No snaps or support poles necessary, and these things are built tough. Rankin can put the cut outs for the tower in for you, all you have to do is supply them with some specific dimensions (they'll tell you what to measure).

If you use it as a mooring cover, you can have removable sunskirts added as well.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/90_Rankin.jpg

BrianM
01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com

NWMC
01-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Another vote for Rankin. When I bought my boat last year the prior owner had just bought the cover. The quality is great and have never had any problems at all. Very easy to put on and take off by myself. Many people say you can trailer with it, I haven't as its to nice and I don't want to take any chances.

Mikey
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
It doesnt NEED to be trailerable but it MUST be waterproof.

BrianM
01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
It doesnt NEED to be trailerable but it MUST be waterproof. Call Mike at www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com) Awesome covers for storage. Fit like a drum head and the Sunbrella is waterbroof and breathable. Really great service as well. You will probably have it at your door by the end of next week.

vision
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree. Skiboatcovers.com is excellent.

prostar205
01-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Another vote for Skiboatcovers.com. Mike is a great guy and very easy to work with.

Sodar
01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Call Mike at www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com) Awesome covers for storage. Fit like a drum head and the Sunbrella is waterbroof and breathable. Really great service as well. You will probably have it at your door by the end of next week.

Well Brian.... here is the deal everytime you post a pic or your cover or bimini, I will post mine! I honestly want to know how many times I have responded to those two questions, alone!!! ??

If you click on my 1996 190, you can see more pics of the cover...

BrianM
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I honestly want to know how many times I have responded to those two questions, alone!!! ??

Me too !

Mikey
01-18-2008, 03:56 PM
A couple more questions. What advantage does the waterline cover have over the regular one? Are there any reasons to stay away from black covers?

Sodar
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
A couple more questions. What advantage does the waterline cover have over the regular one? Are there any reasons to stay away from black covers?

Waterline covers cover the sides... regualar covers stop below the rubrail.

Black sucks because it absorbs alot of heat and shows dirt... other than that, there is no reason.

BrianM
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Waterline covers cover the sides... regualar covers stop below the rubrail.

Black sucks because it absorbs alot of heat and shows dirt... other than that, there is no reason.

Waterline also covers the platform where as the standard does not.

I would say black is no worse than any of the other darker colors (including the dark green Sodar had) as far as heat and keeping it clean. Quite honestly I don't think the heat issue matters at all and as far as keeping it clean the lighter colors show the dirt as well. I say buy watever color you like and matches the boat best.

Mikey
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks fella's I will probably go with the black one since it matches the boat best.:cool: Also thanks for answering these questions again. I feel like such a noob.:o

east tx skier
01-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Waterline also covers the platform where as the standard does not.

Brian, do you mean for the covers manufactured by the skiboatcover.com people? I have a standard (non-waterline) cover that will cover the platform, but not from them.

Mikey
01-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Brian, do you mean for the covers manufactured by the skiboatcover.com people? I have a standard (non-waterline) cover that will cover the platform, but not from them.

Doug, what brand is yours? Is it waterproof? Got a link?

east tx skier
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I have no idea. It is a red sunbrella cover. I suspect it is not OEM from my boat company as it has tie downs that line up with the hooks on my Dorsey Trailer. It fits extremely well. It is not waterproof any more than the waterproofing 303 Fabric Guard I use on it. That is to say, it's breathable.

C36
01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
We have also been very pleased with ours from skiboatcovers.com We went with skirts on ours (you can flip them up when in the water and leave them down when the boat is out of the water for total UV protection). Click here (http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/boat_cover_with_skirts.jpg) to see a photo of the one we had made for our 2001 X-5. If you go this route consider the gortex thread upgrade (low cost, big benefit IMHO).

<most of this cut and paste from other thread> ;)

BrianM
01-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes. skiboatcovers.com standard cover does not go over the platform although I bet if asked they would do a standard cover that did go over the platform.

The cover for my '85 just went to the rubrail but covered the platform as well.

floridamastercraft
01-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I vote for Rankin .... they will make you anything you want just ask them!!! very nice people I spoke with Pat a few times!!!

BrianM
01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
I vote for Rankin .... they will make you anything you want just ask them!!! very nice people I spoke with Pat a few times!!!
Rankins are nice but they are at least $300 more and that is not waterline. For a standard Rankin for my '97 190 (no extra cutouts, wouldn't cover the platform and not waterline) they quoted be $950:eek3: If you do not need it to be towable why spend the extra money? Skiboatcovers.com makes just as high a quality cover although not truely towable (I did tow short distances with mine with no problems).

xcellu8
10-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I just got off the phone with my buddy that is taking care of my boat while Im gone and he said my cover ripped at the seems and the rest of it is brittle and tears easy. Now im in the market for a new cover.:(
Any recommendations? Its a 97 PS205 with a zero flex tower. I would like something that already has the cutouts for the tower legs but a standard one that an upholstery shop could modify would work too. Thanks in advance for any help.

There are many types of breathable fabrics available. The big difference in price between the cheap covers (and tarps) and the good covers is due to the breathable fabrics. Never ever cover a boat with a non-breathable cover. Condensation build-up under the cover can do lots of damage.

I have the max cover from empire its a 3 layer cover made from Tyvek developed by DuPont.

http://boat-cover-review.blogspot.com/

Waterski-Marcoisland
10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I can get you this cover made in sunbrella for around $1800

east tx skier
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Rankins are nice but they are at least $300 more and that is not waterline. For a standard Rankin for my '97 190 (no extra cutouts, wouldn't cover the platform and not waterline) they quoted be $950:eek3: If you do not need it to be towable why spend the extra money? Skiboatcovers.com makes just as high a quality cover although not truely towable (I did tow short distances with mine with no problems).

Coversports are the same concept and fantastic. Paid much less than that even after the upcharge for red. Not sure if he's still making them, but they are pretty fantastic.

yippikaiyay
10-22-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm very satisfied with my Rankin cover, and would recommend them, despite the added cost.
And I never trailer with it on, or ever plan to.

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
nah, guy said the cover should be able to bit fitted below the rub rail and tightened while not on a trailer. So this is why im asking for pictures of the normal fit in water.

carlsonwa
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Any reccommendations for color if I was to go with a new aftermarket cover?

I would like Red, but I feel maybe a darker color ? like black may hold up much longer over time? Original cover was a khaki color.

I have a red/white mastercraft sportstar...

BrianM
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Get the color you like. The Sunbrella will hold up great in any color.

agarabaghi
08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I went with a tan because of the heat issues with black. The cover is nice. IT works, but it does not look as nice as some of the oem covers.

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6273/imageyxt.jpg

But it is pretty easy to instal, and once you get the poles adjusted it fits great on the boat while in the water.

Waterski-Marcoisland
08-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Grey..It stays the coolest..

Starshack
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Agreed - their Sunbrella covers are great.